Need Advice about 9-11 Date

Online Users: 1,329 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Need Advice about 9-11 Date
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 11:45 AM

Hi everyone I am relatively new to the site but I had a question. I live in Northern Jersey and have been planning my reception for September 12, 2009, a Saturday. However, my FH talked to the wedding coordinator at the site at it will save us about 10% of the entire cost of the wedding if we move it to the Friday before, or September 11, 2009. I can't decide how I feel about this, my MOH says that it is fine. I am getting married on September 9, 2009, the Wednesday before, so it will not be my anniversary but I still just can't decide if memories of 2001 is going to be what my guests are thinking about the whole time. We are planning on buying a house, and so that extra money would really help with the down payment but I'm just not sure what to do. Any advice?

Re: Need Advice about 9-11 Date
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Its just a date....and its my Moms birthday :)  I wouldnt worry about it too much....people will probably remember your anneversary too. 

www.militarybride.proboards101.com

RayneAngelfire Posts : 8 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

I would have it on the Friday, not only to save money, but to give people something pleasant to think about and remember about that date.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

I don't see a problem with it.  Sure, I hear 9/11 I think about that day, but I don't think I would be so attached to grieving that it would ruin a wedding for me.

I say go ahead and have it and give your guests an alternate meaning to that date.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Unless you or your guests have a direct connection to that date.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  People have gotten married on that date.  It will be fine

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Thank you for your responses. Other then living in Jersey and so we all knew someone who was there or someone who lost someone luckily my friends and family were not directly effected by it. My FH and MOH both seem to think that it is alright, I guess I just am questioning wether it will put a damper on the festivities. I don't want people to feel like they can't celebrate out of respect for the 9-11 victims. I just can't help but wonder if changing it to that date because of the money makes me shallow.

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

oops I hit enter twice sorry (told you I was new)

Message was edited by: B2B999

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

I agree with the PPs that there is no reason not to have your reception that Friday night, especially since the attacks did not directly affect your immediate family or circle of friends.  It was in 2001, after all -- that will be 7 years at the time of your event.  And your marriage ceremony is 2 days before so Friday is the first "non-school night" to celebrate. 

If you feel moved to do something to honor the memory of those who lost their lives that day, you could have a moment of silence.

EveT

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:29 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

I think you will honour everyone who died or suffered from that terrible event by having a wedding on this day, too much pain and sadness has already occured, love laughter and joy would be a fitting tribute.

lullaby898 Posts : 18 Registered: 7/14/07
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

I am also from North Jersey so I know where you are coming from.  I think it really depends on your guests and what the day means to them.  I know it's been six years but in this area I think it's still raw for alot of people.  I personally wouldn't be able to plan for that day because of what it means to me, FH and our friends.  (We discussed this since our wedding is Sept 12th 2008 and we have firefighter groomsman who wouldn't attend a rehearsal that day due to observance ceremonies) Think of your guests and if you don't think anyone will be offended, go for it.  There's nothing wrong with the date or saving some $$.  I don't think it will put a damper on the party and it will give your family something positive to associate with the day

ChucksGrl0215 Posts : 407 Registered: 8/27/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: lullaby898

My parents' anniversary is actually on September 11th.

www.mywedding.com/meghanandchuck

CCforever Posts : 33 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:25 AM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Like everyone else said, I think it depends on your guests. I live in North Jersey, too, and I don't think anyone who lives here can escaping knowing somebody who was directly affected by 9-11. Personally, I think that day will always be raw for me. That being said, however, if invited, I would probably go to a wedding on that day. I'm not sure how I would feel about, but while I think part of me would not feel totally okay with it, another part of me would be happy about concentrating on something else/a happy occasion that day.

Apollo and Starbuck forever

Oh yeah, Kate and Sawyer, too :-)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine