Anyone NOT "doing" their hair?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17
Anyone NOT "doing" their hair?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 2:31 PM

Hi y'all.  I really hate having my hair "done"  I only get it cut about once every two years, whether it needs it or not.  I really don't want any up-do or down-do or half-up half-downs dos.  Anyone else just gonna brush it before the ceremony?

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

Re: Anyone NOT "doing" their hair?
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 3:00 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm the opposite but kinda for the same reason. I LOVE getting my hair done but only because I hate doing it myself! Anything to do with personal grooming bores me senseless so I have to pay others to do...on a budget mind you!

I'm guessing you've got gorgeous hair thats never been abused by hairdressers over the years like me

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 3:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love having someone do my hair because if i have a big thing to go to like a black n white event or a military ball and i've tried just doing my own hair and i end up crying in the bathroom because nothing is working! If i was having a garden wedding or a beach one i might concider doing something like that i have great hair but im having a white tie wedding so no just brushing out my hair for me! i would atleast get some bobby pins and pull ur hair out of oyur face and curl the ends of your hair or something to that extent!

AdorablePlanet.com bridal shower invitations

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm getting tempted to, believe me, X3 I'm the same way - last time for a trim was almost three years ago just before my FH's prom. And I don't like getting it done because they douse it with hairspray and nasty crap that takes three shampooing episodes to get out.

I say do what you're comfortable doing. I'm just having my mom do mine.

RockChalkChick Posts : 48 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm right there with you - I've got naturally curly hair that no hairdresser seems to understand! If I ask them to work WITH the curl, they either act like I'm insane to want my hair natural, or the blowdry/flatiron it straight and use a curling iron to put fake curl back in! 

I don't think artificial curls look bad, but they're NOT me - the few times I've had my hair "done" for weddings and such, I end up with such a weird artificial look that I don't even recognize myself in pictures. Why would I want to look like someone else at my own wedding? (And don't even get my started on a professional's idea of "natural makeup!")

So, I'll be playing with a few options and practicing my hair beforehand, because I do want it to look good and stay in shape (my curls tend to get a little limp by the end of the day), but I don't want to pay someone a lot of money to turn me into a plastic doll.  

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

I'm the same way, I have a ton of curls and even just getting a trim is an ordeal.  I think it looks better natural and I don't like "product" in my hair either.  Tongue out

I think I started a separate rant about not wearing makeup too!

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not doing a whole  but I'm doing a little more than you. I have really thin hair and it always feels flat so a month before hand I'm probably going to get a wave perm to add body and the day of have it put half way up w/ a few curls in my face....I don't have the patience for something that takes more than 10 minutes to do!

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not the only one!  Woohoo!!  I didn't get my hair done for our engagement/christmas photos today and I'm not going to get it done for my wedding!  (I still need to put my foot down with my mom over that one!) My sis-in-law (and bridesmaid) said she'd love to do it for me, I may let that be an option....  Everyone keeps telling me I HAVE to have it done, now I can say why?! I"m not the only one and I know it! Laughing

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

YAY!!!   Now I can tell them I don't have to either because not "everyone" does some waxed curled teased and pinned creation!

FH and I are having a semi-casual beach wedding.  I don't want to look like a barbie doll!!!

ChicaChels Posts : 656 Registered: 10/12/06
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 2:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

wow thats so crazy to me! i get my hair trimmed religiously every 6-8 weeks and colored every 12-16 weeks! im definately having my hair done for the wedding and my makeup too. i did it for all my hs homecomings/proms/etc and i always get the best compliments! (my hairdresser is AMAZING and he has been doing my hair since my first haircut so im always his guinea pig) but i always have really awesome color and i have really pretty ... i admire you beauties who can go that long w/o cutting your hair! i feel gross if i dont do it every 6 weeks or so! i hope u guys post pics of your wedding hair! i think its so awesome that youre not getting it done! totally admirable!!! obx youre so unique..i seriously love reading your posts!!

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/ChelseaSturgill&SamKenkel

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 9:27 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

i just got married and i had my hair done.  normally i don't like any product in my hair.  i get it cut and colored ALL the time but i am not a fan of hairspray etc.  

i am glad that i did get it done, i needed something special for the day,  i kept my make up light..did it myself.

there is nothing wrong with going natural.  if you feel pretty you will be pretty! 

Posted: Nov 26, 2007 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

Thanks Chica!  You're sweet.  I like to think I'm a unique individual too.  My female relatives think I'm the spawn of some unfeminine hell-demon.  Or that I'm a mental case.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being a girly girl, it's just not who I am.  But for the last 28 gasp almost 29 years my family has been on a mission to make me something I'm not.

They are impressed that I actually picked out a white wedding dress.  I kinda shocked myself when I decided I wanted one!  The fam gets to see me in the white dress, I get to wear my hair the way I want.  Dontcha love a "comprimise!"

Tongue out

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 7:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I hate having styling products in my hair.  I'm half Puerto Rican, with semi-thick hair.  That means that my scalp is greasy as all hell, but my ends are bone dry.  Any product that touches my scalp just makes my roots fall flat.  And I can't hold a curl to save my life, except at the ends.

So I'm thinking of doing an updo (I wear them all of the time, but without products), but I'm going to wear one so that, if it comes undone, will still look pretty.  Kinda like those updo's with the loose pieces coming down.  I'm going for a real casual look for myself and my BP.

Priscilla & John

Crazy for each other, since 1995.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: PLysak

I hate getting my hair done and I think it's a waste of money.  So my little sister is going to do my hair, and I'm going to do my makeup.  I'm a very hands on person who likes to be in control, so I don't want some stranger to do stuff to me, I want to look like myself for my wedding, and FH hates it when I where makeup or make my hair too fancy, so a little makeup and slight styling of the hair will do just fine.

me: (looking at perfume) Hey, do you want to get Britney Spears' perfume?

Best Friend: Ewww.  I don't want to smell like skank.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

OBX..youre not insane. Well okay you are,but then I am too:) I also have naturally curly hair that most haridressers screw upand make look WEIRD and not like me. I didnt get any type of UPDO or whatever its called for my wedding either. I DID go to a salon but only because its too hard to curl your own hair, especially in the back. I just basically had her run a curling irion through it and make the curls tighter than they are naturally,so that by the time the cereomny happened,tehy looked more natural. My hair wasnt all that different on my wedding day than it is normally...just a bit more curl and it stayed better. Some other things I also DIDNT do that everyone tries to tell you are MANDATORY but theyre so not...

I didnt wear any special kind of shoes. I bought them at Macys and they were just silver flats. Noone could even SEE my feet and hell If I was gonna wear heels. Umm...no. I dont wear heels EVER,so why would I wear them on my wedding day?

I didnt wear any sort of special undergarments, no pantyhose,etc. Again, the dress goes down to the floor so why bother? I would have been sOOO uncomfortable in hose, I HATE them,they make my legs sweat and I just hate hate hate them, so I didnt wear them.

My mom helped me do my makeup...shes a MaryKay director so she does it awesome, but I didnt get it done profesionally or anything... I didnt pay for it.

I would say just use more hairspray than you normally would because with naturally curly hair, its hard to make it stay in place especially all day long. the spray helped.

Just a few pics that show the hair a bit...it was pretty natural..no fancy updo. I didnt want pins in my hair or having it feel TIGHT and uncomfortable all day long,which is what most brides compalin about... that headachy feeling from all the damn pins lol. I also took off my veil right after cocktail hour,the thing was KILLING me. people kept pulling on it while hugging me, oh I hated that thing. It felt like a foreign object attached tomy head. It was GONE soon after the ceremony lol.

See my Advice Column and Blogs at www.brideorama.com :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine