*Sigh* - DIY Christmas This Year Anyone?

Online Users: 1,276 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 27

Breezer80 Posts : 94 Registered: 4/14/06
*Sigh* - DIY Christmas This Year Anyone?
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 1:42 PM

So normally I love love love Christmas. This year I am just feeling kind of sad. We are so broke because of the wedding, we literally don't have a dollar to spare. I feel like such a Scrooge not giving gifts this year, but I really don't think we have a choice.

I was thinking about just making muffins and cookies and putting them in nice baskets and giving those as gifts, making sure that everyone knows that they SHOULD not get us anything either. I tried asking my dad - "Hey Dad, what would you think if I just made you some cookies for Christmas?" and he laughed and said, "Yeah, it's going to be pretty tight for me this year too." I don't think he knew I was serious, and I think he might be a little disappointed if we didn't give him anything.

Any suggestions? Anyone else doing a DIY Christmas with some good ideas for gifts? I was also thinking about doing some of those cookies-in-a-jar things, where you get it all premixed in a jar and you just add the wet ingredients? Are those too cheesy/simple/stupid for Christmas?

Laughing Marrying my favorite little ladybug - and it's getting so close!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: *Sigh* - DIY Christmas This Year Anyone?
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

We're in the same boat!  So many deposits, so little left over.  I am limiting my gifts to my most immediate family, and even then they are going to be more like token items.  I am planning on making cookies and then including letters of why people are special to me and some of my favorite memories with them.  I think most people will be understanding.
Love2uKiss

katiemae1985 Posts : 449 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

There is nothing wrong with a DIY Christmas! But it isn't always a money saver. Some ingredients are pretty pricey (butter, dried fruit, fillings/flavorings) so make sure you check the recipes and for sales before committing to this. Plus you need to like to do the baking/cleaning up or it will be pure torture!

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

On May 3, 2008 I will become Mrs. D!

JenlovesDon1 Posts : 217 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Nov 16, 2007 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

We are in the same boat too. We are completely broke and won't beable to do Christmas this year, it's so depressing. One of the best feelings is getting a gift for someone you know they will really like.

I don't have any suggestions, but I've been searching google for gifts like the ones you mentioned. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

www.northpole.com

My MIL emailed me a bunch of Christmas cookie recipes from this sight and most of them look pretty easy.

Posted: Nov 16, 2007 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: JenlovesDon1

Breezer80 Posts : 94 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: JenlovesDon1

Thanks everyone! I think as long as I don't lead people to believe they'll be getting flat screens I would like to think they would be understanding. Anyone who's ever been to a wedding knows they are EXPENSIVE!

Laughing Marrying my favorite little ladybug - and it's getting so close!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Whoah, I hope you were exaggerating when you say that people might actually expect flat screens!  I realize that some people travel in circles that are richer than I can imagine but... holy cow!  Yes, I think that making something inexpensive to give will be just fine.

Now, this might not work for you but DH and I just celebrated our first anniversary.  We are moving soon so we don't want to spend a lot of money and I have been sick and can't really go out to dinner or anything.  So, rather than buy things for each other that we don't want or need we wrote a list of 10 reasons why we love each other.  Honestly, it was the best gift I ever got, especially since there were more than a few things on there that I didn't know he even thought about, it was really wonderful.  So, maybe you can alter this idea a bit for your loved ones.

Also, a few years ago my parents and I had what we called a "Little House on the Prairie" Christmas.  Again, I was sick and at the time was living in Orlando.  Both my parents flew down to be with me so I wasn't sick and alone on Christmas  but there was no time to get gifts so instead of trying to rush out and buy something we gave each other coupons for various things- "This is good for one lunch at the restaurant of your choice", "this is good for one day of no nagging", stuff like that- plus little things we already had.  Like, I gave my mom one of my Christmas decorations I bought before getting sick and, it sounds strange, but I gave my dad my toenail clippers because his had been confiscated at the airport.  :)  It was actually a really good Christmas!

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

It's kind of nice to hear others in the same boat. My main problem is a lack of time coupled with the lack of $$ since we are getting married three days before Christmas. What were we thinking. In all seriousness I know it will all work out for the best.

Becky

12/22/07 is the first day of forever

Rebekah25May08 Posts : 99 Registered: 2/7/07
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

i totally hear you on the DIY christmas.  i think all our family members will understand that we can't really give gifts like we normally would, plus it's just the thought of being together anyways.  so this is what i'm doing. i'm an aspiring photographer and have been for years.  i'm gonna go through all of my pictures that i have taken over the years and go to CVS make a print for each person, go to the dollar tree (everything is $1{love that place}) buy a frame and give that for gifts.  just remember that it's the thought that counts. Laughing

Daisypath Ticker

i can't wait to marry my Peachy!!!

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: Rebekah25May08

I am in the same boat i am broke from the wedding not to mention im trying to find a new job even if it means a pay cut! I have decided to just make little stocking and stuff them from the dollar tree or the dollar bin at target with odds and ends And my FH and i talked about either puting the money into the CD that we have for the wedding or buying each othre stuff and decided to 1.2 it since we never get to spend the holidays togeather since hes always deployed so this is our first real christmas togeather and we decided on a very small sum to spend on each other. since knowing us uf we put all the money into the CD we would still go out and buy a few things. So i have been picking up odds and ends all year for my friends and family now its just crunch time

AdorablePlanet.com bridal shower invitations

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: coastiebride

My family's getting our engagement photo in a cheap Wal-Mart frame for their present, and perhaps a piece of their favorite candy....  Not much but it's the thought!  (everyone's been complaining they don't have a pic yet) We've also been very upfront with our family about how 1--we'd rather save $$ for the wedding, 2--we're saving for a house and 3--the kids are getting one toy each and to do that they're not going to be getting much....  At least my neice and nephew will get what they want! :-)

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

I'm totally with you on the DIY christmas stuff.  A really cool idea is making a specialty christmas ornament for each family member.  The supplies to do so are really cheap and can be purchased from stores like Michaels or AC Moore.  You can find plenty of ideas online too.  Ornaments are really special in my family and always welcome presents.  

briide2bee Posts : 31 Registered: 10/16/07
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

The cookie-in-a-jar is a great idea! I did a couple last year and they came out beautiful!

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

I'm having a DIY Christmas this year too!  I'm making sand candle sets for everyone except for the little kids (my nephews) they will get inexpensive but lound and noisey toys probably from the Dollar General.  I'm too broke to spend anything this year.  I figure I'll be able to make 25-30 candles for less that 40 bucks.

I also like the idea of the premixed cookies or what about hot chocolate mix?  That would be fun!

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine