August 2008 Brides!!!

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 482

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Re: August 2008 Brides!!!
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Oh, I meant to comment on a couple things.

BK - I'm not living with my FILs but FH has been living with my family (mom, brothers, sister) and me for the last 5 years. I could completely understand what you're talking about though. My mom is pretty overprotective. She wants to know what I'm doing, where I'm going, what I'm spending money on, etc. I wouldn't say she's super overbearing. She doesn't pressure for answers, just asks at random times. And I do feel like I have to clear things with her sometimes. FH seems bugged by some things here and there, but I figure it's her house. She could kick us out if she wanted to, but she won't. She knows I'm in school and we're trying to get married. I know it's not the ideal living situation but it's okay. We do plan on moving out a couple months before the wedding though. That would just be weird!

And...my wedding dress shopping went great! I don't wanna bore everyone and keep talking, but the experience at David's was better than expected. Lots to choose from and I was happy/surprised we could take pictures. I might post them later...depends on if I want to be embarrassed or not!

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

bksummer08 Posts : 165 Registered: 6/14/07
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: hulabride08

My FH and I went to a bridal show. There are a lot of them in my area. It was okay...we didn't find any vendors that we ended up going with but getting ideas was nice. We got a lot of coupons from Afterhours Formal Wear, too.

This past Saturday we went over to Navy Pier because they had a travel expo going on. That was pretty disappointing. There was only one representative from each destination and they weren't very helpful. I told the lady we were considering Hawaii and weren't sure how to decide between the different islands to visit and she was just like, oh okay...

Bride8232008 Posts : 12 Registered: 7/18/07
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: hulabride08

Hulagirl Yeah I was looking for something more romantic.  I am not what you would call a full blown Harley chick so it wouldn't really be my style.  I have no idea, I don't really have a favorite flower and I am hoping to come up with something original.  I need to keep thinking about it and would love any other advice from anyone!  You are all so much more creative than me!

hulabride08 Posts : 270 Registered: 10/22/07
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: Bride8232008

BK-I wanted to tell you a few things about Hawaii, in regards to how to pick an island (I've been there 3 times, and FH has been there 6).  If you want more tourist like things, lots of great shopping, and night life-choose Oahu/Waikiki Beach.  If you want relaxation, beautiful scenery, and laying on the beach-then I would choose Maui.  The other islands are pretty too, but less inhabited for sure.  So if this is your first trip there, I would recommend Oahu and/or Maui.  I have not done island hopping while there, but I hear it's a great thing to do if you want to go to more than one island on a trip.  Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to tell you anything about that FANTASTIC place!  I absolutely love it there-thus my hawaiian themed wedding!  Good luck deciding!

Can't wait til my Honey Pot is my Husband!!!

Breezer80 Posts : 94 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: hulabride08

I love the honeymoon planning! 080808 - I think Riviera Maya sounds fantastic! I've always wanted to go, I love hiking around ruins, and I've heard they have some absolutely stunning beaches there.

We're going to Belize for 10 days. We're doing the rainforest for the first 5, staying at Francis Ford Coppola's resort called Blacaneaux (blancaneaux.com) and OMIGOD it looks beautiful. We'll stay in the Riverview Casita. The next 5 days will be spent on Amergris Caye, a totally stunning little island off the coast, we're staying at Victoria House (victoria-house.com). Also stunning! I want to go NOW!

Laughing Marrying my favorite little ladybug - and it's getting so close!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

soontobeMrsHills Posts : 228 Registered: 9/13/07
Posted: Nov 14, 2007 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Hey girls! I finally found the August 2008 wedding thread! I'm getting married on Aug 2, 2008. So excited!!!! But need some advice, sorry if this is soooo long, I'm just excited!!!

I'm getting very nervous about ordering my bridesmaids dresses! It seems like you all think we need to order soon, but I was hoping to wait until spring/summer colors came out in the stores. I don't want traditional "bridesmaids" dresses, I was looking for a pattern. Choosing my colors has been stressful! I have gone through all options it seems and came back to my favorite color: pink. I don't want everything to be pink though, I think just the bridesmaids dresses. I'm having everyone that helped with the wedding on my side wear pink and on his side wear blue. A girl from my church wished she would have done that, and I thought it sounded cute. So I'm thinking about doing pastels: pink, blue, purple, yellow, etc. Summery colors. Is August still summer enough for those colors?

Also, is anyone doing DIY flowers? My FMIL used to work at a flower shop and said she would arrange the flowers. I asked her and my F-grandma-IL to grow the flowers, but they didn't think that would work, so now I'm going to order wholesale and they said they would arrange. Does anyone have a good wholesale flower website? I definitely want to do a trial run before the big day.

What about photographers? I'm getting married in Pittsburgh, and the prices are ridiculous!!! And that's just for the photographer, then you have to pay like $10 for a 4x6 picture!!! I'm hoping to find a photography student, pay them to take the pictures, and then just keep the negatives to order myself. Anyone else thinking this?

Already have the ceremony and reception locals, cake, transportation, and ordered my dress/veil/slip in September. I'm just waiting on it's arrival! FH and I are working on the caterer and interviewed 3 different ones last weekend and hoping to choose in the next couple weeks. It's hard to plan a wedding from Indiana when it is happening in Pennsylvania! Luckily I have my mom in Pittsburgh to help! We booked our DJ yesterday and everything is falling into place. Once we get the caterer, I will feel much better. Love to have this advice line! Thanks for your help in advance!

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: soontobeMrsHills

WELCOME HILLS!!!  We are actually wedding date twins!  Go 8/2/08!!!

I definitely think early August is summery enough to have pastels!  That sounds sooo pretty and unique.  And you have lots booked and determined too, which feels good to check off the list, right?!  As far as photography goes, that is the area that I splurged on.  I took advice from my friends who had already been married on this one.  Some of them tried to find the bargain, and find a cheaper photographer-and then REALLY regretted that in the end.  My theory (and this is just my opinion), is that the pictures is what will help you remember the day forever.  Plus, the pictures will capture events, moments, views of the day that you may not have noticed or seen.  But then again, I love pics and frames!  Also, that doesn't mean that a student wouldn't do a great job for you.  Budget is such a drag! 

Good luck with all your planning:)

080808bride Posts : 151 Registered: 5/16/07
Posted: Nov 14, 2007 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: soontobeMrsHills

It sounds like you have done so much already! I still need to figure out our cake scenario. FH wants to do that this weekend.

I am DIY flowers with my bridal party the morning before the wedding. My MOH did the same for her sisters wedding last year so she's going to be my flower expert. I used to work at a flower shop back in high school so I already know how to arrange. My aunt also is super crafty-she's making my dresses- and is great with flowers. She is growing the daisies and chocolate flowers for the ceremony decoration. We are doing daisy 0 and 8 to hang on the church doors. The centerpieces are just flat boxes filled to the brim with packed daisies. Our bouquets are made of hydrangeas so I don't think we'll have much trouble arranging them all. Good luck though! 

As for the photography- we are spending 2,000 for unlimited pics over the 8 hour period of time with 2 photographers. It was something we bargained over for a while and finally got the photographer to settle with our price. Keep researching- try to go to some bridal shows to get price comparisons. We walked in the studio with a figure in mind and said we would have walked out until they decided to settle.

Breezer80 Posts : 94 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: soontobeMrsHills

Hi Hills! So in terms of your BM dresses, I was told you want to allow about 6 months for the dresses to be ordered & come in if you're ordering them from a regular bridal salon. If you're getting them from somewhere like Macy's, then you can buy them whenever. I've never made a dress before, so only you will know how long you'll need to make them! :) Hope that helps!

In terms of the photog, I scoured craigslist and the internet and found a fantastic girl who is just starting out. She had worked as an apprentice under another fantastic photog for 5 years helping him out at weddings and just started her own business last year. For that reason, she is trying to build up her portfolio so her prices are CHEAP, and she is absolutely FANTASTIC! Student photographers are not a bad idea at all, I would just warn you on two things. 1) Try not to be the first wedding they've ever shot. Everyone needs to start somewhere, but maybe his/her Aunt Sara's might be a better place to get experience. 2) BE SURE to talk about a back up plan. The benefit of someone whos been in the business for awhile is that if god forbid something happens and your original photog can't make it, she/he will usually have colleagues she/he can send to shoot your wedding. It would be awful if they came down with the flu and called you morning of to tell you you won't have a photographer. Ask to actually meet who his back up will be if it's another student and see their work too. Also talk about cost of prints.

Good luck with the wedding planning! Everyone in this forum is super helpful!

Laughing Marrying my favorite little ladybug - and it's getting so close!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Hi ladies,

Stuck at work this morning...and bored.  I posted a question on another thread and haven't gotten many hits there, so I thought I'd ask you for the advice...

Even though it's still so far away, have you thought about gifts for your parents?  I don't have a single idea...here's my parental situation:  My parents are divorced.  I am close with my mom and know that no matter what I get her, she will love.  So she is not the difficult one.  Well, my dad is remarried and has been since I was 12.  I highly DETEST my stepmother, and she definitely has put a damper on my relationship with my dad, even though we do still talk.  It's weird actually...when she is not around, my dad is great.  We laugh, have fun, and the relationship is easy.  But whenever she is around (and this is 90% of the time), he is a totally different person.  Someone I can't even feel comfortable around. It's pretty sad.  And yes, I know this is his fault too...but it still bothers me.  So I don't know what to get them for a gift to present to them at my wedding rehearsal...do they get a "together" gift, or separate?  I thought about giving them a framed picture of our engagement photo, but don't know if it's something they would want.  That sounds terrible, but my sister got married last year and they don't even have a picture up from their wedding-all the photos they took from the day are still in the cardboard holder from the Walmart developing center!!!  So...any thoughts?

Then...for my FFIL?  My FH's mom passed away a few years ago, so it's just my FFIL now.  We are pretty close with him, but I was just wondering if anyone has other ideas?  Just wondering what you are doing-maybe I'm not thinking of a great one!

Thanks for all your help, sorry this was so long!  Have a good weekend:)

soontobeMrsHills Posts : 228 Registered: 9/13/07
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Craig's list was a great idea for a photographer! There are tons listed!!! Now I just have to go through them and see which will work out, thanks for the tip!

As for parents gifts... I'll probably do a picture for both my parents and his, but they love pictures and have tons around the house. I'm also doing individual gifts: moonstone earrings and bracelets for my mom and FMIL (I'm wearing a moonstone necklace and earrings and getting moonstone earrings for the bridesmaids) and engraved cigar holders and ties to match the wedding colors for my dad and FFIL.

If I were you I would get a coupleish gift for your dad and step-mom, then maybe something special for your dad. A wine and cheese basket would be easy and a little fancier as a couple gift then something personal for your dad, maybe a wallet-sized photo he could keep with him if they don't like to display pictures in their house. Just a thought!

UltimatePink Posts : 367 Registered: 10/15/07
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: soontobeMrsHills

Hi Girls!

I got engaged on November 3rd and am now planning an August 30, 2008 wedding. Needless to say, all I've done is book the church and that only happened last week. Nothing else! It's practically unheard of around where I live since everything here is booked about 2 years in advanced. My hope was that since I chose labor day weekend, there would be some availability. I've found two reception spots that are available so far. Hope one will work! Tiny bit worried because I haven't seen a wedding dress I like, haven't chosen the bridesmaid dresses....

Good luck everyone!

bksummer08 Posts : 165 Registered: 6/14/07
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: hulabride08

Hula, thanks for the advice! My FH and I booked our honeymoon this weekend!!! We are staying 11 nights total in Hawaii: 6 in Maui and 5 in Kauai. We are looking for more relaxation & fun adventurous things. Our resorts are amazing - we're staying at the Hyatt in Maui and the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. I absolutely cannot wait!!!

Did you guys book your honeymoons yet?

I can't believe how fast time is flying!!! Smile

Message was edited by: bksummer08

080808bride Posts : 151 Registered: 5/16/07
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: hulabride08

FH and I have thought about the same gift idea. We thought to do an engraved picture frame and give the same gift to each set of parents (we both come from divorced families). My parents (dad mostly) are pretty competitive with who gets what and how much time we spend with each parent or each side of the family so I thought it would just be best to do a universal gift and then write something thoughtful and unique for each family...that way no one would feel jealous or upset. Just an idea :)

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:02 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about parent's gifts. I haven't gotten nearly that far in my planning/ideas stage. But I think framed photos would be great gifts, at least those with very nice, elegant looking frames.

I would have to say that everyone on this board is probably a lot further a long in planning than I am! lol...Ultimate, have you already been to try on dresses? If so, good for you for being so quick with planning and tasks. You're obviously on the right track. As for me, we've been engaged for almost a year and the most we have is the date! Many, many ideas, but nothing in stone yet. Good luck with everything. On this board we mostly discuss ideas and where we are in the planning process. Any help you need, I'm sure these ladies can lend a hand.

As for the honeymoon, I'm so jealous!! 11 days in Hawaii? That would be awesome. I hope you have a great time. We have not yet booked one and don't know if we will. I'll be happy to just get married for now and maybe take a honeymoon one our first anniversary. Congrats to you for getting it all taken care of :)

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine