Did he ask your Dad first???

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 68

thebigcheese Posts : 155 Registered: 4/2/07
Re: Did he ask your Dad first???
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

Nope, he didn't ask my parents.  We're adults and we made a decision to get married.  It's not my parents' place, and certainly not my dad's place, to grant us permission.

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: thebigcheese

Congrats!!!
We actually both spoke to my parents & told them we were ready together. My folks were thrilled & then a lil while after, my FH proposed with the most gorgeous ring ever! We went that very day to the site where we had our prom to look it over & make sure we still wanted our ceremony/reception there. The next day we went with my parents to book it! It's the perfect place for us.

Getting married October 4th!

Bryan & Emy's Wedding Website

bridesrocks Posts : 478 Registered: 9/25/07
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

Congrats!

My FH ask my mom since my dad past away a few years ago.  I was important for me that he ask my mom and I'm very glad he did.

Until I marry my Rockstar!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsSass

My DH and I had decided to get married about 3 months before he met any of my family, as we live in the NY area and they are all in California.  We took a trip to California so that they could all meet him and we could tell them about our plans. 

I more or less told DH that he should say something to each of my parents (they live in different parts of the state) along the lines of "I love your daughter very much, and with your blessing we would like to get married next spring."  He did, and my mother cried, she was so delighted.  My dad was more reserved, but said it was fine with him "Whenever you're ready." 

So DH didn't exactly ask them, but he did them each the honor of acknowledging their parental role -- even though I'm over 50 and it's my 4th marriage.  I know they each appreciated it!

EveT

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 11:52 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Yes, he asked both my mom and dad (separately). We had been together for over 6 yrs when he proposed, but he knew it was important to me that he ask them. I already knew they'd say yes because he's already like a son to them, it was just knowing he asked and that they were comfortable. More for a blessing I would say.

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

My FH did ask my dad. In my own opinion, in a way I think he did it because both of our families have had A LOT of doubt with our relationship (we had a somewhat starcrossed lover relationship).

My dad had doubts he would be able to take care of me, but my fiance owned up and had the guts to ask my dad first. My dad was perfectly okay with it (he's happy as long as I am) but didn't say much. But then after my fiance started to leave, he went outside and hugged my fiance and said, "thank you for taking care of my daughter."

Awwww.

Also, my fiance proposed where my mother's ashes were spread in Maui, so before he popped the question, he asked her for permission too, even though she wasn't there physically. It was so sweet.

Message was edited by brandedastar on Oct 27, 2007 9:37 PM

JnK123108 Posts : 43 Registered: 1/14/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2007 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes he did. He called my father first to ask for his blessing. The week before, because he had to work up the nerve. Then he called my mother the day before he proposed, because he was still nervous after asking my father, to ask for her blessing as well.  They were both surprised. 

ticker

ChucksGrl0215 Posts : 407 Registered: 8/27/07
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: JnK123108

FH called and asked my dad for his permission the might before. I couldn't he did that. I had always wanted that but never mentioned it to FH. I was also surprised thatt my dad didn't tell my mom. He's never been good at keeping secrets but he didn't say a word.
"I am someone who is looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love."

hulabride08 Posts : 270 Registered: 10/22/07
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

No, my FH did not ask my parents.  I am pretty independent from my parents, even though I love them very much.  My relationship with my dad is strained from his past behavior and choices...so it wasn't important to me.  I told this to my FH, and he agreed and said that it wouldn't matter anyway, since we know that we will always be together!

Can't wait til my Honey Pot is my Husband!!!

cristine Posts : 45 Registered: 7/5/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 6:18 AM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

I got engaged on 10/13/06!  My fh did ask my dad.  My family isn't very liberal but it was someting my dad always used to say.  I dont think fh actually asked him for permission, but kinda gave them the heads up what was happening.

krista210 Posts : 450 Registered: 7/14/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

it sounds like you might be upset that your FH did not ask your dads permission. my FH told both my parents that he had bought an engagement ring and would it be okay if he gave it to me?? so sweet. you should talk to your FH about this and suggest that at some point before the wedding that he talk to your dad about the marriage and get his blessing. maybe this will solve your problems

LOnDZ Posts : 57 Registered: 6/10/07
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

-

BB84 Posts : 388 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: LOnDZ

Well....we are not officially engaged yet, so I don't know if he'll ask my dad.  I don't think he's going to.  When we first decided to get married in June a few weeks ago, he said he needed to call my dad, but I told him not to.  My dad can be a little scary...and is kind of a smart-ass....so I was a little scared for him to!

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: BB84

My FH asked my dad first and then asked my mom and step-dad second.  He wanted both blessings.  He's very traditional even though at the time we had been together for 6 years.  (we have been engaged for a year and a half).  I love to hear about how my mom made him tear up!!  LOL!

4 months 2 weeks 4 days until I marry my best friend!!

AlmostMrsEverson Posts : 3 Registered: 7/2/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: missrachelk

My FH asked my dad but not until after he had already asked me, but that's how my dad wanted it. My FH and I have been together since I was 15 and it wasn't a surprise that it was coming. Dad always told him there was no sense in him stressing about asking my dad if I hadn't already said yes.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine