Celebrating and acknowledging becoming one as a Family

Online Users: 1,369 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

LKM2361 Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/07
Celebrating and acknowledging becoming one as a Family
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 3:24 PM

My FH and I are getting married in August at FH's sister's house (front porch ceremony with reception in backyard).  FH has two children that live with us.  I am trying to come up with ideas for acknowledging the four of us becoming a family (something along the lines of a unity candle), but not necessarily that.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them

Re: Celebrating and acknowledging becoming one as a Family
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

DH and I have 5 kids between us and I wanted to acknowledge us becoming a family as well.  What I did (since I was able to write my own ceremony) was include at the start of the ceremony the part with the kids. I can't remember it word for word, but it went something like this:

Do you 1,2,3,4,and 5 honor the marriage of Kenny and Catherine?

1,2,3,4,and 5: We love each of you, and bless your marriage.  Together we will be a family.

That's not it exactly, but it's along those lines.  Hope this helps!

SEPTEMBER 29, 2007, I BECAME THE MRS.!

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:35 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

What if you did a sand vase with you and the two kids...I know I'm leaving out your fh...not to be mean though...but he can be included too.  I am thinking about doing this.  Fh has a daughter and I think it would be neat for the three of us to do together.  But fh wants the ceremony to be just about me and him....men!!..sigh..Wink but that is sweet of him!

So, I'm in the same boat...but fh daughter is 19...I'm thinking about doing a toast to her??...I don't know.

How old are the kids?  female or male?

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

Kids are 13 girl and 10 boy.  We have all lived together for over 2 years now and are already, in so many ways, a family, but I'd still really like to do something to commemorate the occassion.  FH doesn't really care one way or the other, so it'd be something probably more for me than anyone.  But I think it's significant enough to make a deal about.

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

Are they in the wedding party? What if at the end of the ceremony the four of you all walked out together instead of just you and your husband?

Of course its significant...make a big deal about it!!

I asked fh daughter if she would paint a little crooked(sp) bowtie on her pinky with me..just a me and her thing.

This would be cute..during your first dance, what if his son came up and cut in to dance with you and then his daughter could come "rescue" him and they could dance together?

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: marty08

Yes, they are both in the wedding.  Future stepdaughter will be a jr. bridesmaid and future stepson will be bestman/groomsman, so they will both be with us at the alter for the ceremony.  I like the idea of walking out as the family.  I now pronounce you a family!

bridebekah Posts : 24 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

Message was edited by: bridebekah

deltagirl Posts : 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

LKM2361 -

I swear I had to read your profile to make sure this wasn't one of my friend posting about me.

I have lived with my FH for 2 years with his kids - girl 13 and son 10.

I don't have any ideas for you - sorry. But I am curious to see if others come up with any ideas.

FH doesn't really want to incorporate anything into the ceremony.

They will be in the ceremony as jr BM and Jr groomsman.

Good Luck! - and I'll be eavesdroppingLaughing!

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: deltagirl

I'll keep you posted if anything clever comes by.  Still trying to figure it all out. 

LKM2361

albert55147 Posts : 12 Registered: 1/29/08
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

I have two daughters from a previous marriage.  Right after my FH and I exchange our rings, we are then giving my two daughters each a necklace as a symbol of becoming a family.  Also, I am having my daughters give me away.  Hope this helps!

Message was edited by: albert55147

Sollie Posts : 24 Registered: 4/4/08
Posted: May 21, 2008 12:38 AM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

Well, what about a sand ceremony? Only, instead of just two colors of sand, he could have, say, blue (for him), red (one kid) and green for the other. And you could have purple sand and then pour it all together. Or like the rose ceremony, and you could have two smaller roses for the kids, or have the kids tie ribbons around the roses or something. Good luck, and don't let anyone tell you it's not a big deal. ^^ It's sweet.

"The sun warms everything, even while I am far away. Love me faithfully, and know that I am faithful."------Z. Randall Stroope

"You and I collide." ------Howie Day "Collide"

cdg0128 Posts : 8 Registered: 3/8/08
Posted: May 21, 2008 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: LKM2361

My FH has two children (four and six).  Both children are in the wedding and we will have the sand ceremony performed.  We will have tan and white sand for the two of us and prior to the wedding the children will each pick a seashell from the beach and place that in during the sand ceremony to represent them.  

I know you'll think of something wonderful!  Best of luck!

"God is good."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine