Spring park DIY wedding - any ideas/comments?

Online Users: 1,314 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 2

RockChalkChick Posts : 48 Registered: 12/27/06
Spring park DIY wedding - any ideas/comments?
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 12:20 PM

My guy and I are pretty sure we've found a place for our wedding, but I'm still just a little concerned about the details. 

I love the idea of an outdoor wedding, but with a late-April (2009) date in Iowa, we have to keep weather in mind. So we've found a really nice lodge that will, theoretically, hold everyone for the reception, and we could move the ceremony indoors if we need to (though it would take some disruption and rearrangement between the two). 

So, what factors am I not taking into consideration? I'm DIYing a lot of stuff - I want the day to be personal and fun, rather than a cookie-cutter catered reception, but I'm worried about getting in over our head. 

What problems/ideas have you come across when it comes to a outdoor, semi-formal, springtime wedding? What sort of stuff might I not think about? 

At this point, we're planning a lot of DIY: Mom and I are making the dresses for myself and the bridesmaids (see my thread in "Wedding Dresses" for the pattern/plans). We're growing potted daffodils for centerpieces/favors. We're going to make simple hand-tied daffodil bouquets. We're planning to make most/all of the food ourselves, and hire a few servers to handle the setup/cleanup at the actual reception (there's a full commercial kitchen on site). And on and on - there's a lot of time left and we can do a lot ahead of time, but there's still a lot of possibilities to go wrong. 

Any suggestions? Warnings? Comments? 

hulabride08 Posts : 270 Registered: 10/22/07
Re: Spring park DIY wedding - any ideas/comments?
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

It sounds like you have so much planned already!  And you seem very on top of things so far!  Your site sounds great...but I know what you mean about the stress of an outdoor wedding in your particular state (I'm in WI, similar weather patterns here at that time). 

Some things to consider:  does your venue provide chairs for the outdoor ceremony or do you have to rent?  Is this a rainy time of year for you?  I doubt that bugs will be a problem this early in the year, so that will be good for you.  The only other concern to think about in regards to being a DIY bride (me too, so I know) is the stress on "the day of".  Try not to plan for too much wedding preparation on your part for the day of.  By then, you'll want to relax and enjoy!  Good Luck & happy planning.

Can't wait til my Honey Pot is my Husband!!!

southerngirl Posts : 281 Registered: 4/5/07
Re: Spring park DIY wedding - any ideas/comments?
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

We are having an outdoor wedding May 31st, of next year, in Ga., so I'm hoping for no rain that day. It was 30 degrees the other night and today it feels like its about 80, so you never know here. There has only been a few problems that I've had, one is  my FH seeing me coming before I actualy get to the aisle, another is the aisle runner. My aisle will be grass, but I can only imagine what would happen if I were to use an aisle runner. Those are the only problems that I haven't been able to figure out. There have been a few other small problems, but if you can be creative you can't get around them. Just things that pertain to your particular site. Like for me, its definetly going to be on the warm side, so I've decided to supply my guests with the program fans. and make sure you have it arranged so that  you have the best background possible,  look for anything that you might not  want in your background. For instance, at our site, there is a utility pole thats in an awkward place, and we had to make sure that we worked around it in planning the set-up. Just take time to look around at your site, and envision how you want it to look, and then go from there. After you have a mental pic. you can then look around to see if there will be any problems. Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to give you a few pointers. Hope this helps you. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine