What do you think?

Online Users: 1,293 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
What do you think?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:47 PM

My best friend from high school is getting married in about a week and I just got her invite and I was kind of offended. It was addressed to Nikki Jones & John...she couldn't even remember my finance's last name (who I've been dating for over 2 years)! When I brought it up with her she said, "Oh I just forgot and didn't want to bother you." I just wanted to know how tacky you thought this was.

P.S. I wanted to address her invite Friend & Husband, but my FH says I can't :(

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Re: What do you think?
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Yep, it's tacky to address you/fi as such.  Two tackies don't make it ok.  Take the high road and know that in the end, the extra effort paid off by making you look more thoughtful and polite.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

i would let it go

it may be "tacky" but i use the rule of intention, if the person has a good heart and makes an innocent "mistake" there's no harm done

i don't believe in judging people or holding them up to personal standards

what may be common sense or proper etiquette to one person is not necessarily rules to live by for another

ryanandamanda Posts : 376 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:53 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Are you offended because you got it a week before the wedding?  Or just the wording?

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

Nicely worded!!

IndyCindy

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: ryanandamanda

Your friend could have sent her invitations earlier, and could have asked around to find out your FH's last name, but at least she put "and John" rather than "and Guest."  It could have been worse.  Have fun at her wedding and when it comes time to send your own invitations, address them all as correctly as you can.
EveT

FinallyABride Posts : 16 Registered: 12/31/06
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

I agree. Let it go.  So she forgot your FI's last name and didn't want to bother you.  You being a bride and in the planning process, you could imagine how much stuff she needs to get done and all the stress she has.  Give her a break and let it go.  It's not worth it.  At least he was invited.

jojolina Posts : 897 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: savex389

i would let it go. yes, technically, it was incorrect.  we all make mistakes.

www.mywedding.com/lorrieandchris

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: savex389

As you get closer to your wedding date, you get what I like to call "tulle brain" and are likely to forget all sorts of things (like the name of my aunt.  Seriously!)  Give her a little slack, and don't add a second wrong to what might have been a legitimate mistake.

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left. ;-D

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Unless she just decided to get married, I would be kind of hurt that I just the invite, a week before the wedding??

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Considering the fact that I spent months pinning down the exact relationship status of all my guests, complete with their full complete names. . .yeah, I would be offended.

But, as with most of life's irritations, it's best to let it go and move on.

SaucyMrsK Posts : 1,175 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

I just wanted to know how tacky you thought this was.

I don't think it is tacky. I think she honestly wanted to be sure she was inviting you and Jjohn as a couple - and not you with a guest

Who knows what the motives were (or if there were any)  or what was going on with her at the time she was addressing invites; which as anyone who has done this before knows,  is quite an undertaking

Please cut her some slack and choose your battles wisely. This particular batttle is best left unfought.

Posted: Sep 13, 2007 7:54 PM Go to message in response to: SaucyMrsK

I agree with pp. According to formal etiquette standards, she made a technical mistake.  In truth, is it really that big of a deal?  I might have been a little irritated if it had been addressed "and guest", or if she had invited you alone.  But the fact that she didn't remember his last name seems pretty insignificant to me. 

I'll be a Mrs. on November 10, 2007

Love one another and you will be happy.  It's as simple and as difficult as that. 

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

you guys are right, i'm probably just taking it too personal. it's not like i'd REALLY put friend & husband on her invite, i think it just offended me because i really tried to get to know her FH and she never really seemed to care. but today i will show up to the wedding with big smile on my face and full of hugs and not let it bother me. thank you girls for helping me see the error of my ways.

stevesgirl326 Posts : 9 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 1:09 AM Go to message in response to: savex389

When my FH's dad and step-mother got married my FH and I had been together for almost 4 years and had been living together for a year. His step-mother (who is a true to the core b*tch) put "and guest" on my FH's invitation. When we asked about it she cowardly said she was rushing and accidently wrote it that way and that a proper invitation was in the mail addressed just to me. I never received it! I know it's upsetting but it really could be worse.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine