Anyone have problems sneaking pics of their dress while at the bridal store

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21
Anyone have problems sneaking pics of their dress while at the bridal store
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 10:06 PM

Ok so I put a down payment on this dress by Demetrios.  My mother has not seen it becuase she lives in another state and they tell me im not allowed to take a picture of it since its a part of the new 2008 collection, nor are there any pictures of it on the Demetrios website as of yet.  So she feels left out and I feel bummed about not getting her a picture to see it.  Ive tried to sneak a pic with my phone and my friends have tried also but the store personnel are always around and Im not even in the dressing room by myself they are always there with me.  Oh and when they took it off for me to put on my regular clothes they took the dress out of the changing room and up front with them. Its like they knew hahahahaha and my younger cousin had her cell phone out and tried to take a pic and they caught her hahahahhaha before she could take a good pic of the dress.  So my question is, has anyone else come across this problem and how did you work around it?

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: Anyone have problems sneaking pics of their dress while at the bridal store
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi,

No I have not had this problem.  Is it possible to go to another store that carries the same line and try to get a picture from that store. 

When is my wedding

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 8:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

This happen to me with the same dress designer at Macy's.  We were lucky that they were having a trunk sale and the sales rep were quite busy, so my friend was helping me get in and out of the dress.  She took pics with her camera. 

Maybe you can visit at a busy time or like the pp said try another store.  You can also say that you are not comfortable with them in the fitting room, could they please step out while you try on the dress.  HeeHeee!

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Re: Anyone have problems sneaking pics of their dress while at the bridal s
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 9:18 AM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I had that problem, but thankfully I was with my mom, and the sales lady went to go help another person. So my mom snuck a few pictures!!! 

I don't know what to tell you other than what the PP said... try another store or ask them if you can "have some time alone with the dress so you can think about it" in the dressing room....

Danamarie Posts : 61 Registered: 4/14/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am amazed that stores are really sticklers for that kinda thing. Not like you are going to put your pic in some fashion mag somewhere - I REALLY hope I don't have that problem  - my mom lives in another state as well, MOH does as well. I will most likely be going shopping by myself or with a friend.

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

maybe you could try telling them the situation and how much it would mean to your mom.  You've already put down a deposit as proof you're going to buy it there so it's seems they should accomodate.  If all else fails turn on the water works - maybe they'll give in for a frantic crying bride haha.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I didn't have a problem taking pictures.  In fact the women help us were asking if they could take the picture for us.  

FutureMrsJRB Posts : 90 Registered: 5/8/06
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

You could always have someone "pretend" to be talking on the phone & really have a finger on the camera button.  I had to do this once & no one even knew what was going on!

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Make an excuse to go see the gown with someone.  have them write down the all the info from the tag on the gown. 

My sister did this years ago from a bridal-shopzilla, and brought the style # to another store & ordered her gown. 

Good luck, happy planning & happy wedding day

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Rather than the sneaky approaches others have suggested, I'd go with what FinallyMrsHoward said, tell them how much it would mean to you to have a photo.  When you're in the store trying to do something they've told you is forbidden, you're creating a climate of distrust and the salesladies are likely to know something's up, though they may not know exactly what.  It just won't help your relationship with them.

The rationale for the no-photos rule is probably to prevent brides from choosing a dress and then, instead of buying it, looking for the identical dress cheaper online or at another store, or having a seamstress copy the dress.  With the ease of taking photos on cell phones, though, it seems like the shops should just let go.  Forbidding photos just frustrates customers.  Photos of the dresses are going to get out anyway.

EveT

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: Danamarie

I had that problem in one of the stores.  The sales lady told me it was so you wouldn't take a picture of the gown to a seamstress and have it made.  Which seems silly, because there were pictures of the gowns online and in magazines that I could have used!  (There's a thought for you-- is there a picture of the dress in any magazine ads?  The Knot magazine has a TON of pictures-- you can go to borders or barnes and noble and look at them for free!)

Funny thing is, had I been able to see in a photograph what I looked like in the 2 dresses I tried on at the no-pictures store, I might have bought one of them.  All the other stores let me take pictures, so it was easy to compare them side by side.  For me, looking in the mirror I can't really get the best sense of what I look like-- pictures are much better!

SuezyQ Posts : 947 Registered: 8/4/06
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

The dress shop that I went to also had the no picture policy.  But once I put a deposite down they let me take all the pictures I wanted.  Why, well I paid for it, so there for it was mine to do with what I wanted. 

So maybe if you ask, since your already PAYING for the dress they will let you take a picture.

Good luck and happy planning.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey guys thanks for all of your advice.  SOrry i havent posted so long, i was out of town for a week.  Yeah Im thinking that since i have put a large chunk of money down that they should allow me to take a picture.  And at this point im just gonna take a regular camera with me and start taking pics whether or not they like it because what are they gonna do confiscate my film?  ha i think not....well i hope they dont hahahahhahaha

weddinworries Posts : 124 Registered: 5/28/07
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 12:33 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I can't believe they won't let you take a picture after putting down a deposit!  That is unbelievable.  You need a picture of your dress to show the florist, the photographer, the jeweler, the hair and make-up people, etc. 

Obviously, if you've put down a deposit (typically half the price of the gown), you're not going to have a seamstress make another one.  Demetrios must be really paranoid about their designs being copied, but I agree with the poster who wouldn't buy a dress unless she could see a picture of herself in it. 

FutureMrsNajar Posts : 159 Registered: 11/15/07
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi EestiBride. Random Question ... Which dress was it that you put the deposit on. I went and tried on a dress from the new 2008 trunk show also. its the DS 107. But the dress is leaving in two days and I am still not sure about whether it is the dress i want or not. I wish the shops would just let us take photos so that we can compare with other dresses. I hate that they dont have the pictures on their website yet. I also like a dress from the casablanca diamon collection which is also not online. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine