Ceremony on grass...technical questions

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

karasue91 Posts : 9 Registered: 7/29/07
Ceremony on grass...technical questions
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 12:14 AM

So, we are having our ceremony outside and I am really having a hard time finding wedge shoes that I like.  I thought I would have to wear wedges because spikes would sink into the grass, but I would much prefer to wear heels.

I'm thinking of maybe getting some thick rugs, like industrial type rugs to put down the path I will be walking down to get to the aisle, and then down the aisle.  Maybe put some cheap white fabric over them?  Or I was considering getting cheap sheets of plywood and putting fabric over that, but I think that will make a weird sound when we walk on it.

Is anyone else having the same dilemma?  Are you wearing wedges?  I really don't want to wear flats because I love the shape of the skirt on my dress and if I cut off too much at the hem it will lose some of that flare....plus I just feel better in some heels!!

babagrlshell Posts : 63 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: Ceremony on grass...technical questions
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 1:05 AM Go to message in response to: karasue91

They sell fairly cheap hall runner rugs at Big Lots that are usually in a decent number of colors. You might be able to rent something from a rental company... give them a call and ask for ideas... they might have some.
The wood idea is a good one, but thing about set up and break down... it would be a major PITA.

Amazon.com has a pretty decent selection of shoes that you can browse through by heel type... Also piperlime.com is a pretty good source of shoes as well. Problem is you have to choose early to be able to make sure to get them in and make sure they fit correctly in advance.

Or- you could go barefoot. Laughing

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 11:27 PM Go to message in response to: babagrlshell

I wore wedges for my wedding (outside in the grass) and I didn't have any problems whatsoever, and didn't need anything "down" (like rugs/material/etc) to prevent slippage. My bridesmaids did not wear wedges, they wore thick heels, and they did not have any problems either.

My shoes were by the company Saugus, and I think they were called "Lily Anne"

Here's one of my proofs - you can see the shoes peeking out as I'm walking: http://www.jpixx.com/weddings/chrissie_jamie/reception/slides/IMG_9689.html

closer shot...
http://www.jpixx.com/weddings/chrissie_jamie/reception/slides/IMG_0298.html

side view
http://www.jpixx.com/weddings/chrissie_jamie/portraits/slides/IMG_9506.html

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: karasue91

I had the same problem. I knew my ceremony was going to be outside when I was looking for shoes and then I thought OMG I'm going to sink! Especially in Spring. It wouldn't really matter how short the heel is I'm still going to sink! So I totally know what you mean.

I decided to go with wedges because I personally like them(even though they are really hard to find) and I found really pretty ones that compliment my dress very well.

You could do an aisle runner, but being outside they tend to get caught on your shoes(especially heels). Rugs might be better I don't know. I agree the plywood might sound a little strange. IMO I think runners take away from an outdoor "feel". That's just my opinion.

Is your reception inside? Is it possible that you could get wedges for the ceremony and then heels for the reception? Does your dress cover the shoes? If it does then you can get some cheap wedges for the ceremony and then pretty heels for the reception. :D

"If you live to be one hundred years old, I want to live to be one hundred minus a day, so I never have to live one day without you. - Pooh

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

I'm getting married in the grass as well, and am just planning on buying a shoe with a thicker heel.  I don't really do well in stillettos anyhow, so i have the added bonus of not worrying about falling.  Also, I've heard that runners in the grass can get very slippery if there is any moisture/dew on the grass.  Plus, to me part of the appeal of getting married otuside is the grass aisle. 

FutureMrsJRB Posts : 90 Registered: 5/8/06
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would definetly recommend wearing wedge heels or flats! I have been in 2 weddings this summer where our heels sunk straight into the ground (no rain in weeks either)...Also PLS to do NOT make the mistake of laying down an isle runner without some support underneath because they rip very easily.  A BM in my DH brother's wedding tripped due to her heel ripping the runner.  They can be messy if not on hard solid ground.

mrslilysolovely Posts : 2,130 Registered: 7/24/06
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: karasue91

I am getting married on grass - but it's in the winter,, so I don't think we will have isues with the ground being soft - however, I do not want to be bitten by ants or anything, so we are using a 5' diameter 'ceremony rug' for FH and I to stand on during the ceremony, and we will have it in our home as a daily reminder of the wedding and I think it's a great piece of sentimentality to have the very spot you stood while exchanging vows, right there in your living room.

For shoes - I am going for comfort - I can't see spending all day in heels, and I cannot find any 'bridal shoes' that are not torture contraptions to be used for interrogation purposes - can't see how ANYONE can fit their toes into that tiny triangle of space they try to pass off as foot area. Hoping to find some pretty white wedges, too - I am notorious for tripping, lol.

What if the hokey pokey really IS 

what it's all about? 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine