To Buy or to have them buy...

Online Users: 1,306 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

HooahBride Posts : 341 Registered: 9/19/07
To Buy or to have them buy...
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 7:46 PM

So this is my first wedding...lol....is it wrong or not classy to have bridesmaids and groommen purchace their own dress/tux rental.  I personally wouldn't mind if I was asked to buy my own...but let me know what you ladies think....
Miss Audrey

lullaby898 Posts : 18 Registered: 7/14/07
Re: To Buy or to have them buy...
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

I don't think it's wrong at all.  The two weddings I've been in have done it that way and I am too.  My BM's will buy their dress and their shoes and I will be paying for their hair and makeup.  I did pick a gown in a reasonable price range so that it wasn't outside the means of any of the BM's.

hollyb76 Posts : 249 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

Not wrong at all... my girls bought their own dresses and shoes. I am going to pay for their hair and maybe their nails. My FH's guys are all paying for their own tuxes. When you agree to be in a wedding, it's usually assumed that you'll buy your own attire.

hollyb76 Posts : 249 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

Not wrong at all... my girls bought their own dresses and shoes. I am going to pay for their hair and maybe their nails. My FH's guys are all paying for their own tuxes. When you agree to be in a wedding, it's usually assumed that you'll buy your own attire.

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

where i live it is most common for the bridal party to purchase their own attire.  

sandraxtna Posts : 86 Registered: 8/26/07
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

I think having BM pays for their own dresses is pretty much the norm. I've shelled out for my friend's weddings and they're doing the same for mine. Like others, I'll be paying for their hair and nails.

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

Normally, your bridal party pays for their own attire. 

HooahBride Posts : 341 Registered: 9/19/07
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 7:13 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

Thanks ladies..that will be one less thing to worry about for our budget. :D
Miss Audrey

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

Personally it would be nice to buy it for them,...but its not wrong to have them pay for it either lol

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

But the bridal party paying for their own attire is pretty much normal. I simply could not afford to pay for the dresses, shoes, hair, makeup etc. It isn't expected of me either. Don't feel obligated to buy them their stuff, even though it is a nice thought.

MelissaSmile

09bride Posts : 97 Registered: 2/10/07
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

i was asked to buy the dress for the last wedding i was in, i didnt have a problem. but im getting the dresses for my bm... i got one for $15 off ebay:) 

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 5:23 AM Go to message in response to: 09bride

I know everyone says that you don't have to buy them, and most people would be totally fine with paying for their own attire (and likely expect to)...but....I just couldn't ask people to buy matching dresses that I selected for them. Unless you go the route of "choose your own dress in BLANK color" I think it's a nice gesture to really try and accommodate those dresses in your budget if at all possible.

But on the other hand...if I was in a someone else's wedding I wouldn't think twice about paying for my dress. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine