Music experts: What instrument to compliment a string quartet??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Music experts: What instrument to compliment a string quartet??
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 10:39 AM

I'm hiring a string quartet for the prelude music as everyone is being seated and for the processional of the wedding party. But, for the big bridal processional, I want the string quartet to be accompanied by a more powerful instrument like an organ, piano, or trumpet. Any suggestions about what instruments go well with strings?? I'd rather use a piano or organ than hire another person for a trumpet since piano/organ comes with the price of the chapel. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Re: Music experts: What instrument to compliment a string quartet??
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

In my opinion, the piano always goes well with strings. I would think that a trumpet might be a little too overwhelming of strings and the organ could be as well. I've just always thought of the piano as a great accompaniment to strings (I played viola on/off for 13 years). Unless you were looking for a more non-traditional pairing, I'd stick with piano.

No matter what you choose, it'll sound great.

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

Message was edited by DAS824 on Sep 17, 2007 5:03 PM

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Sure, piano and strings would be a lovely combination.  There are pieces specifically written for this combination (called a "piano quintet") and many pieces can be adapted/arranged for it.  Have you talked to the pianist/organist?  (I assume since the piano/organ comes with the chapel, this must include someone to play it -- the instrument itself would not be of much use just sitting there?)  The pianist/organist may be able to make some suggestions for how to use the keyboard to best advantage with the string quartet.  Make sure you also book a time for them to rehearse together; even if they are all seasoned professionals, they'll need at least a run-through.
EveT

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

If you want something powerful for the processional, I'd suggest just using the organ for that and having the strings play for everything else.  There's a variety of sounds you can get out of an organ, from woodwind to string to brass.  By having a different instrument play the processional, since you have it at your disposal anyway, you can really draw attention to it.

FutureMrsSchroe... Posts : 35 Registered: 6/5/07
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 3:08 AM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

I may be biased since I am in a String Quartet that frequently does weddings but I like the String Quartet by itself. If you really want to add another instrument though, I would go with the Piano because it is an instrument that you will see in Quintets often. Good luck on the rest of your planning!
I get to marry my middle school sweetheart!

Tabbygirl Posts : 342 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

I like the strings by themselves.  You could do a piano trio (piano and two string instruments) which is lovely, but if you want a larger, more dramatic sound for your processional, that won't cut it. 

But if you want something really big, go for the organ by itself.  You don't need the strings and the organ at once.  The organ would drown the strings out anyway.   So have the organ on its own.  If you have the budget to hire the extra instrument, do it that way, at least in my opinion. :)

I've performed for a few weddings where the couple hired strings and an organist.  The strings usually did the preludes and postludes with one or two pieces during the ceremony and the organist would play the processional and the recessional and if it was a Catholic wedding, the organ would also do the mass parts and other music. The separate mix worked out very well.  

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." - Charlotte Bronte

Message was edited by Tabbygirl on Oct 9, 2007 4:43 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine