Where do I find a non-foofy dress???

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

RockChalkChick Posts : 48 Registered: 12/27/06
Where do I find a non-foofy dress???
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 5:52 PM

Ok, I'm starting to reach my wit's end on the dress side of things. I have a pretty specific image in mind, and it's got nothing to do with yards of tulle, heavy beading, or a strapless gown. (Nothing on those of you who prefer any/all of the above - it's just not my style at all!)

What I really want is a V-necked dress in a chiffon or georgette with a wide-set narrow strap, a natural or slightly dropped waist to which I can add an embroidered sash, and a softly draped A-line skirt with no or minimal train.  Is this really too much to ask to find among the thousands of wedding dresses (and other non-wedding dresses) that I've thumbed through?

Can anyone help me? Seen a dress like this anywhere on the net or in real stores? I'm stuck!!

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Re: Where do I find a non-foofy dress???
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

Since you are so specific can you have it custom made? It may be hard to find all the thing you want on one dress,I saw a JH dress in deciding my BM dresses you may like something like this It comes in Ivory

http://www.jimhjelmoccasions.com/dress_db_occ/display_dress.php?imageno=5521

"I look forward to pledging my love once again to my friend, my sweetheart, my soul mate on 10~17~2008"

Posted: Sep 21, 2007 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: luvmygemini

Well, I'm definitely entertaining the idea of having the dress made, but it still seems rather silly with the number of dresses on the market. I realize strapless ballgowns are the trend, but at the exclusion of all others?

Is a classic V-neck, A-line dress THAT much to ask?

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

They may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've seen a number of dresses like that from Watters, Paloma Blanca, and some Maggie Sottero.  There aren't as many of them as there are the big pouffy gowns, but they're out there.

I'll try to remember to send some style #s over to you as I am looking for similar, simple styles.

MermaidBride08 Posts : 554 Registered: 9/26/06
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: MermaidBride08

Mermaidbride08 - I love the dresses you posted.. the poster desires a chiffon gown that is why I posted the JH gown which is a BM gown but can easily be worn as a simple elegant wedding gown

I don't think anything is too much to ask for if it's what you want there are lots of styles,in V-neck A-line semi-thick straps, but you want a thin,light,airy fabric like chiffon ..will you reconsider the fabric if so there are many many options

"I look forward to pledging my love once again to my friend, my sweetheart, my soul mate on 10~17~2008"

Posted: Sep 21, 2007 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: luvmygemini

litlbit Posts : 192 Registered: 1/19/07
Posted: Sep 23, 2007 11:44 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

Have you looked at bridesmaid's dresses?  You can usually get them in white or off-white and there are a TON of them to choose from.  Watters has some pretty ones in particular.

lglilly Posts : 6 Registered: 6/15/07
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

Have you looked at any Casablanca gowns?  Since this is a second marriage for us, I wanted NO POOF either.  I am going with style 1869.

AlohaAroha Posts : 686 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 3:33 AM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

Is lace close enough to chiffon or gorgette?

How's this?

This one is almost exactly what you are looking for.  You could have the straps narrowed:

If you put a wide sash around the bottom of this ones waist it would be almost perfect:

Not exactly, but it might work:

This one is  jcrew:

Floor-Length Silk Dress Floor-Length Silk Dress , $260

Another view:

bluefly.com:

Ivory Silk Georgette Gown, $149

This has a halter neck, but I thought I might try.  It's Nicole Miller at bluefly.com

Hope some of these help and that I haven't overwhelmed you!

Posted: Sep 25, 2007 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 8:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you so much!!!

I knew they had to be out there, but they certainly weren't at the local bridal shops (and I've been through 4 of them!) Now it's just a matter of finding places that carry these lines -  I really love the Mori Lee one (the big image that takes over the page), and I really appreciate all the effort to find these!!

I was just getting so fed up with all the strapless ball gowns! Thanks again!! 

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 8:56 AM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

You're Welcome!  Good luck at the stores!  I think these gowns are so beautiful - i love the simplicity, it's so elegant.

I have no idea how/why that pic ended up posting so big and so randomly on top of the screen haha.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine