Card Box that isnt a bird cage

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19

ChicaChels Posts : 656 Registered: 10/12/06
Card Box that isnt a bird cage
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 10:40 PM

Has anyone ever seen a card box that is actually cute? I hate the HUGE wedding cake ones, or the bird cage ones (I HATE BIRDS) or just the ugly white chest! Any suggestions? Pictures?

ryanandamanda Posts : 376 Registered: 7/25/07
Re: Card Box that isnt a bird cage
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

We made ours, okay well it's half way done.  I bought a cardboard box the right size and cut a slit in the top, covered it with chocolate satin.  And then we're going to put some thick pink ribbon around it, like a present. 

I hated all the card boxes I saw, and the ones I did like where $50.  Good luck!

CCforever Posts : 33 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 8:54 AM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

My mother got my sister one from party city that looked like a small  present. It wasn't too small to hold the cards, but it definitely did not look obtrusive.

Apollo and Starbuck forever

Oh yeah, Kate and Sawyer, too :-)

hollyb76 Posts : 249 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 9:08 AM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

We are using a Longaberger basket that has emroidered our names and the wedding date on the lid. I am sure it was pricey - it was a gift from my best friend's mom, but it is very nice and unique!

Jemma21 Posts : 443 Registered: 12/22/06
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: hollyb76

I'm anti cardbox and birdcage too...so I found a really cute basket at AC Moore that looks like a pumpkin, which fits perfectly with our fall theme. I bought two, one for cards and another one to put my programs in before the ceremony.  They cost me only $4 EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 10:19 AM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

You have tons of options, they're only limited to your imagination!

Since our wedding is in New England in the fall (and my family isn't from around here at all)  we picked up an old wooden lobster trap off Craigslist, and are using that (complete with a plush lobster in it, holding an envelope, so people get the picture.)  I've also seen people use actual mailboxes, trunks, picnic baskets, baskets, makeup/train cases (those little luggage pieces that have the handle on the lid)  apple bushel baskets, and vintage hatboxes.  One of my favorite ones was a simple box papered in sunday funnies (the couple were comic people and very low key with their entire event)

let us know what you decide!

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

Posted: Sep 20, 2007 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: Pamlin

well im a pretty creative person but i think my creative train is running out of steam!

i wish we had a theme sometimes, or something truly unique to iowa/nebraska (besides runzas and kool aid and ice cream!) like the lobster idea is toooo cute.

thanks for the ideas though! im off to the craft store...

keep 'em comin though! or i would love to see pictures! thanks ladies!!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

You have tons of options, they're only limited to your imagination!

Absolutely! Your container doesn't even have to be a box--anything that will hold the cards and work with your decor will do (e.g. the lobster traps--great idea). Easiest--get a sturdy gift box and wrap it in beautiful paper or fabric that matches your decor (cut a slit for cards, of course). Get a clear glass vase or bowl--put in one card in an envelope so people get the idea. Have a box made out of flowers (by your florist or make one yourself, using silks--I have pictures of this idea)--it serves double-duty, as decoration and a card box. Use a beautiful basket that fits with your decor. C'mon, you can do it!

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

Yes, I found a lady on Ebay who makes them according to your colors. She also makes matching guestbooks too. If I knew how to post pics, I would do so.
When is my wedding

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

to post a picture you just right click copy/paste

can you tell me her ebay user name? :) thanx :)

JosesGirl Posts : 582 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: ChicaChels

Ours was a box, but it was covered in white satin and decorated with Cinderella's castle, sequins, glitter and beads. It was adorable...a little pricey, but I still get so many compliments on it. I found it on Ebay.

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

YES! Ebay has awesome Card boxes.... I think i got enough ideas to wear i'll just make my own... but they are really nice on ebay!

EBAY has saved me TONES of money on all my wedding stuff! 

Save over $100 on my veil, Brand New and made the way i wanted it.

Message was edited by MrsDupont on Oct 8, 2007 4:28 PM

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

Here are a few pictures of the cardbox my FH made.  We bought 4 8x10 picture frames, attached them, added a lazy susan spinner to the base and covered some wood on the top with batting and satin.  It's one of my favorite wedding things already!

I'll be a Mrs. on November 10, 2007

Love one another and you will be happy.  It's as simple and as difficult as that. 

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a great IDEA!!!

Would you be upset if i took this idea and used it for my wedding? Because I think thats what i'm going to do!

Please! Sealed

Posted: Oct 9, 2007 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

Please, take away.  I absolutely love it, so others might as well share in my happiness :)

We bought the picture frames at AC Moore, they were 2 for $8.  We also bought mattes there for $1 a piece or so, and that allowed us to do all different size photos. I bought the material at Joanne fabrics on the scrap shelf (they have so much white and ivory, you could do that if they don't have one to match your wedding color.  We got two pieces of scrap wood to make a base, and we'll just have to unscrew the bottom to get the cards out.  The lazy susan piece was less than $2 at the hardware store.  I think the whole thing cost less than $30 to put together, and we'll keep it forever.

Have fun with it!!!  Laughing

I'll be a Mrs. on November 10, 2007

Love one another and you will be happy.  It's as simple and as difficult as that. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine