Beware of Free Vacation From Simplicity Gourmet

Online Users: 1,347 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 105
Re: Beware of Free Vacation From Simplicity Gourmet
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I JUST got a call from them as well, i tried to figure out exately what they wanted from me. I even asked the girl (Tracy) 3 times if this was free or not.

At the end i asked to talk to a manager who also failed to mention the 50$ fee.

I went online here to check out simplicity bride and saw this forum. I called them RIGHT back and of course the "manager" has just "left" and i was stuck with a 15 year old boy. I told him id seen this forum and told him the stories from here, on how their stuff wasnt really free. He couldnt really give me an explanation on why i was called (im sure David´s Bridal sold me name and phone number to these people) or why everyone had to pay the 50$. He said the girl, Tracy, must have understood me when i asked if it was fee and no charges would be made.

I also told him he was running a scam and if they ever called me again, id contact a lawyer. Hopefully this info will help others, just keep on nagging them on why theyre lying and keep asking them how they got your name + number.

Does anyone have an idea on how these people got their info???

Message was edited by VaNella on Sep 4, 2007 6:33 PM

Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

David's Bridal must be selling their list of customers.  I have not attended a single bridal show, and yet this company was able to obtain my cell phone.  I don't give that out randomly.

erin2009 Posts : 1 Registered: 9/13/07
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

well i am so glad that i didn't buy anything last night. we went cause we were suppose to get an 8 night condo stay for free. the cookware was neat but no different than what you could get at target or walmart. then we got the voucher extension and thought this would be pretty cool to go to a sandals restort for 50% off. but all this fine print was on there about fees. so i'm pretty sure we won't be using this anythime soon. i was worried that if i did book a stay in the bahamas that when we got down there we would have to pay the other 50% that was suppose to be taken off but i'm not going to use it because of the way it sounds, this is a huge scam.

Posted: Sep 17, 2007 12:56 AM Go to message in response to: erin2009

These people called me yesterday and today as well.  The first call I got from Jennifer, she said she was calling from Simplicity Brides.  The next call I got from Adrienne who said she was calling from Simplicity Gourmet.  She told me that I had been selected for a 3 day 2 night vacation to the Bahamas, Mexico or the Dominican Republic.  I asked several questions such as what do I have to buy or sign up for in order to receive this trip.  Her response was nothing.  Yet it seems to me that there are hidden fees.  My fiance and I are already on a tight budget and I dont think this is for real.  I have know idea how they got my number and I hope they lose it!! Surprised

Posted: Sep 17, 2007 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also received a call yesterday (on a SUNDAY!) stating that we had won a free trip as well to a destination for 6 days/7 nights.  They said that the presentation would be at the Comfort Inn in Farmington, MI on Monday (the very next day).  I would have to attend a 90 minute presentation and there would also be a chef there cooking food for everyone to sample.  I called the Comfort Inn to inquire about the event and they said there was nothing scheduled with any vendor for Monday.  It is very fishy!  It looks like there is a free trip giveaway by the posted comment above.  There is no way that I'm spending that much for any cookware however.  My finance and I decided to go tonight for the free food and possibly a free trip (if there turns out to be an event at the Comfort Inn)  We both vowed that we would not buy anything from the vendors though.  

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 7:43 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well I have to say this....they do sell their product pretty well.

Like all of you, I too questioned if it was a SCAM or not. We told ourselves that we weren't going to buy anything and we didn't need anything. But that it couldn't hurt to take 90 minutes out of our day to see about this "free" vacation. When we got there, the sales person told us that this was their company's way of advertising. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THROUGHOUT THE PRESENTATION or you will get sucked in. They show you their products in hopes that newlyweds or engaged couples will buy there things. It's advertisement. The man was very funny, a quick talker, a good demonstrator, and a very good speaker. You have to remain skeptical about everything he tells you. The one I went to, he showed us articles about Teflon and how bad it is for you....afterwards he invited people to check out the products, read the "fine print", and read the articles for our selves. Well, needless to say. We bought the cookware....all $3800 dollars of it. Frown (<--what our wallets look like these days) We bought the products because we weighed the cost verses the benifits.

What we came up with:
-we will NEED some cookware sometime in our lives
-we (no matter how cheap or expensive) will be replacing our pots and pans left and right...why not just spend it on pots and pans that AT LEAST have a lifetime warranty?
-we wanted cookware that would give us everything these people told us...we wanted something fast, nice looking, convient, and easy.--this has it all
-and even though we were sitting through this showcase for this company's advertisement, we could just as easily been buying something we saw on TV or from other forms of ads.

We read the fine print. You have to. NOW ABOUT THE VACATION: so they said we would get this "free" 8 days 7 nights condo package to about 65 different locations. Well this is how it works. They (after their sales pitch) will give you a brochure saying that you can send your information in to RECIEVE your packet BUT ONCE YOU DO you only have a year to use your vacation. HOWEVER, so they say, you can send in the brochure with your information on it whenever you are ready (so you do have a choice). I haven't gotten that far yet. BUT on the brochure, it says that you have to pay the TAXES and FEES (which are about $50 a person). Again, we figured that it couldn't hurt having 2 vacations (the second one came with our purchase of their products) and even though we are spending a lot of money, fees included, we needed a vacation.

What we thought about:
- Buying the cookware...all $3800 something of it, we were really buying our vacation.
- BUT if we were to calculate all of the expenses of the hotel for 8 days and 7 nights, the all inclusive 2nd vacation, and constant sets of pots and pans....we'd end up paying more than what we have already for their product.
- even though we have to pay the AIRFARE, we are "saving" money.
- we can actually have a vacation....one that we don't have to pay for right away. (they have this payment plan for their cookware that let's you pay as you go...like I said, it's like we are paying for our vacation through buying the pots and pans.)

All in all, you have to keep an open mind and be careful about your decision. You have to think about what it is in your lifestyle that you value...is it a good set of pans? are you in need of a vacation? do you only want things that don't seem shady to you? There are ups and downs in everything in you do in your life...you just have to make sure it's what you want. I am willing to take a chance on a healthier product, one that from what I saw and witnessed was something that would fit my lifestyle. It's up to you.

Ha, I have to admit, I'm still skeptical about the whole thing, because it all happened so fast even though we took such caution in doing it. It's "mad money"...it's the money that you WOULD BE spending that just disappears and you have nothing to show for it...because you spent it on a soad here, some fast food there...and it makes you mad. If you actually look at how much you really spend on things you don't need...why not spend that money on something that will atleast last a while...or has a lifetime warrenty (i think that's the thing that makes me feel better about this whole thing haha). It's up to you in the end.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 9:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

now did you go on the free trip? how much did you have to pay? how long does it take for you to get the brochure??? 

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes it happend to us tonight. We went to the presentation...given the cook wear is great and the food tasted great. But for the price, total rip off. Our guy told us all about his belifes if God and it turned into a 20min sermon about marriage, he slipped in a joke about how bad gay marriage was, and told us all it was not fair that you arent allowed to beat your kids with switches anymore. Even if they were giving this stuff away I dont think we would have bought it from this guy. Finally as we were finally leaving as soon as possable, the guy gave us our coupons and pamphlets and said "Are you guys not intrested in the cookware" We said "oh were thinking about it" and he said something like "you know you cant" blah blah blah, this is your only chance. Yeah so I went home, full web site, and you can even find it on ebay and amazon. So if you really like the stuff, shop around and find some similar stuff without giving these losers any of your money or anymore time. 

jarrettsonly Posts : 1 Registered: 10/14/07
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FI and I just signed up to go to one of those presentations for tuesday.  I'm trying to do some homework on it so I don't waste my time or get my hopes up.  Can anyone tell me the names of the hotels/condos that they use?  My FI and really tight on money and this would help out if it was true.  I've seen a couple people on here speak somewhat highly of this company.  Someone please help me.
Halee JoleneLaughing

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:35 PM Go to message in response to: jarrettsonly

My fiance and I went to the presentation and received a flyer afterward that stated that we had won a 7 day 8 night condo vacation.  We understood that we would have to pay our own airfare and the taxes for our stay at the condo, but we figured that this was worth it since the condo is supposedly all-inclusive.  We mailed in the flyer so that we could recieve a brochure about the trip we were promised.  About a week later we received a brochure from World Adventures Travel.  The brochure gave us all the details about the travel savings plan that we received and about the free vacation.  It appears that the free vacation is being given to new members who apply for the World Adventures Travel savings plan.  So Simplicity Gourmet really is not giving you anything.  It does not appear that it cost anything to become a member of the travel savings plan so we mailed in the brochure and asked to book our free trip.  That was three weeks ago!  Being that there haven't been any recent hurricanes that could have demolished the World Adventures Travel headquarters, I am becoming a bit skeptical.  We will see if I keep getting the run-around. 

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We went to the presentation yesterday. it was entertaining and we liked the product but i have better than things to do with my money than spend three or four thousand dollars on cookware. no matter how good the cookware is i will still never like doing it unless i am in the mood to cook (which is rare!) they were definetly high pressure and you had to talk to them to get out of the room and get your free condo stay. i simply said to the guy hey we work like 100 hours a week, we eat dinner together on sunday night (also the only night we cook "dinner") tell me why 4,000$ of cookware is practical or ideal for us. he was stumped and we left with our free vacation.  Also no vacation you ever win will be truly free! it is free but rarely if ever have i seen any company comp taxes and fees. for example my company gave us two "free" tickets to London on Virgin Atlantic we had to pay taxes and fees which go to the gov't (cost $250) per ticket. we would have lost 500$ per couple x $1000 employees. I think many companies have better things than to comp .5 million dollars than to pay taxes and fees that go directly to the gov't. it is enough to give the service. i have not sent in the forms but we'll see if it works out great! if not at least i am not totting around 4,000$ worth of cookware as the other three couples in our seminar are.  but i would like to know if anyone likes the cookware and how the condo's are. 

LittleLady09 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/28/07
Is it a Scam? Seems like it... but how can you really tell?
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, like all of you I got the call, went to the presentation, and took the brochure.  I have "won" a couple of "free" vacations (that they wanted me to PAY for (free when you have to pay??)) so I'm leary of this.  The brochure doesn't even have a website, email address or phone number listed - seems a bit too sketchy to be trusted.  Though a cheap vacation is very tempting (taxes and fees are still not too expensive considering how much lodging costs these days).  I read that only one person has actually taken the vacation - has anyone else? 

By the way - the presenter at this "show" was funny, but when we went to leave he was an ass.  We didn't want to buy the cookware (so we didn't) but he tried to sell us "at least" a potato smasher for $50.  Who would pay $50 to smash potatoes? 

So, does anyone know how to find out if this is actually legit?  BBB?  Any lawyers out there?!

Rachel Kiss

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm planning to attend one of these shows and we have decided we are not buying anything, but has anyone really went on one of these trips?
~Jen

LittleLady09 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/28/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just an FYI - I called the travel agency that is "giving" away this free vacation: World Adventures Travel (813-865-0433).  They said that Simplicity gives these pamphlets away but beware of what they say to you at the show.  The lodging itself is free, but there are fees associated with the trip as well as the responsibility of finding your own transportation to and from the place you choose to go.  There are also several restrictions as to when you're able to take advantage of the week long vacation.

World Adventures Travel is just the agent that books the trips - they book cruises, hotels and vacation at major brand name establishments (i.e. Marriott, Sandals resorts, etc).  They just give you the discounts toward your trip. However, the discount is not guarenteed - it depends on when you want to travel, and of course where you want to go.  They seem legit, but Simplicity Gormet seems like a whole different story.  Also, if you look at the "travel savings plan" brochure you're given at these simplicity gormet presentations, it doesn't really look like you really "win" anything but a membership to an exclusive travel club that happens to be giving out a free vacation with the membership. 

I'm going to try the vacation... what the heck!  I'll just make sure it's in a major city within the states :)

Keep us posted if anyone does take the trip sooner than us!
Rachel Kiss

Message was edited by LittleLady09 on Nov 3, 2007 2:17 PM

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: jarrettsonly

I just got this phone call tonight from Simplicity Bride. They offered me an 8 day/7 night 1 bed condo in the city of our choice, a free 1 year membership to Road Adventurer something or other, and a 35mm camera with discounted film processing. They gave me a claim# and said to go to the Sleep Inn in LaPlata, MD this Saturday to pick up my free packet. Rosa was her name and she said nothing about buying anything in fact, she said there were no strings attached and that I would have to pay absolutely nothing. I guess she meant Saturday at the show and not the actual vacation. Well, after reading what you all have wrote we certainly will not be going to pick up the 'packet' because I'm not getting suckered into this SCAM!

For those of you that would like the 'free' vacation and are worried about money - BELEIVE ME SO ARE WE - I would suggest going thru a travel agent and having he/she set up a Honeymoon Registry. Similar to a Gift Registry in that guests can contribute whatever dollar amount they wish to the cost of the honeymoon. Your travel agent will give you more details but usually they send you cards with info on them so that you can include them in save-the-date cards and/or wedding shower invitations. I think this would be a much better way to get that 'free' vacation! And it's legit!!! Who knows, you may not have to pay for anything Laughing

Good luck and Don't be SCAMMED!!!!

Beach Bride Cool

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine