Downsizing a dress

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Downsizing a dress
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:48 AM

Can I make a size eighteen dress into a size three dress?

JAllen Posts : 793 Registered: 9/1/06
Re: Downsizing a dress
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:53 AM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

It would probably be alot of work, but I'm sure it can be done.  You'd need an experienced seamstress that knows wedding dresses and material, and she'd pretty much have to remake the dress.  But if you are getting the dress cheap or free, and you love it, it might save you money?

http://www.mywedding.com/vanceandjammie/

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:56 AM Go to message in response to: JAllen

The success will depend not only on the seamstress's skill but also on the construction of the dress.  Garments with many seams, and with boning or other hardware, tend to be harder to work on.  Certain fabrics are challenging, too.  Do you already have the dress?  If so, take it to 2 or 3 seamstresses and get their advice before you decide whom to hire.
EveT

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

It can be done.  It will take a lot of work and money.  May I ask why it is so big??

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:45 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

Let's just say that my mom had the bright idea of asking a cousin of mine to be a bm (w/o my knowledge) to replace my sister who no longer can be part of the wedding party bc she's expecting.  My sister is due Feb 8th and my wedding is on the 16th.  We already have the dress (it's at the boutique-they are holding it for us) and it happens to be a size 18 and my cousin is a size 0 in street clothes, but probably a 3 in a dress.

Now this is the dress, do you think it can be altered?

Nu-Georgette Bridesmaid Dress

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I am assuming you have already asked to have the dress shop change sizes for you... Would it be possible to sell the dress & reorder another in the correct size? I think, if it were me having to pay for the alterations - I think it would be worth it to just order another dress. From size 18 to maybe size 2 or 3 is pretty drastic for any dress to be altered. It can be done, but......

IndyCindy

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The bms paid $35 for alterations, soooooo we are hoping that that applies changing this dress, from an 18 to a 3.

I'm going to call the boutique, but I wanted to see what other people thought.  You know some people will say anything to try to sell you another dress or charge you more.  I'm not trying to get ripped off.  Money mouth

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:02 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Could you exchange it??

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I would try and exchange it first... thats a BIG difference in sizes and by doing that much wok on it it might end up looking different then in the beginning. Have you already asked your guys? if not you could just cut one of them!

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

For my wedding, we brought a size 14 dress down to probably a size 4 or 6 and it was a LOT of work.  I would definitely see if there is another option.

litlbit Posts : 192 Registered: 1/19/07
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

The sweetheart neckline and the gathering at the waist will make the end result turn out too different probably.  The top will probably still be set apart too far for someone with a small frame.  I would really suggest getting her a new size.

Posted: Sep 18, 2007 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Bite the bullet and buy a new dress.  You can sell the other one on ebay or something, but yeah, unfortunately I don't see that much of an alteration worth it.  I'm fairly short, so I have to get a lot of things tailored and to have a pair of pants altered to be taken up or in at a few places a bit and my place (which is excellent) charges $40 just for those small things, so I'm sure changing the dress size that much will be waaay more.  

How about this....What size are your other BM's?  If there is someone who is closer to an 18, say a 10, maybe it would work to have the larger dress sized to another BM and their dress sized to the smaller size?  It's risky, and I say you should just buy another dress, but it would be an option. 

Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

KaileinKabul, great idea!  I'll let you know if it'll work!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine