are personalized wedding favors ever used

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

ambiesmom Posts : 101 Registered: 6/17/07
are personalized wedding favors ever used
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 2:47 AM

Help! Originally I thought that my daughter wanted personalized shot glasses as favors since they collect them. Then it changed to regular glasses or mugs that could be used at the reception and then taken home. But would people really use them at home or just a waste of money?? What about personalized ink pens?? Thanks for any suggestions.
The Bride's Mom

Re: are personalized wedding favors ever used
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

What I'm doing is very simple.  I bought a bunch of cone-shaped favor boxes and personalized ribbon.  I'm going to fill the favor boxes with candy corn (our "theme" is fall) and tie them with the ribbon.  I got some stickers that say thank you and I'm putting them on the box as well.

Personalized pens are cute, but more than likely, they'll end up at the bottom of someone's purse. 

deltagirl Posts : 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

ambiesmom - At my first wedding I did personalized champagne flutes. Most guests were a couple so they ended up with a set. But truly if I were entertaining the last glass I would pull out to use would be the "favor" glass from a wedding. I would prefer to use my full set of glasses.

A friend of mine gave shot glasses as her favors. 10 years later I still pull out that shot glass when the need arises. If the party has escalated to taking shots you can care less if the glasses match!

The trend is for people to personalize their weddings either through favors,table names ...etc. I think since your daughter collects shot glasses, it would add a personal touch.

A personalized ink pen reminds me a little of a convention.

IMO- shot glasses maybe with a note explaining that they collect them.

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

Honestly, I would never use something in my home that had someone else's name and wedding date on it. And most favors that I've received (personalized or not), I never use again. I do not need a 2" picture frame, set of maracas, shot glass, scented votive candle, or CD by your no-name band (I have received all of these). And, really, my rear end doesn't need chocolate truffles, much as I really love them. Bottom line: put your money into better food, nicer flowers, an extra appetizer, one more player in the band, or anything else that will make the day better for your guests. If you already have everything you need. contribute to a charity--much better use of the money.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I tend to agree with Myra that, for the great majority of guests, favors are not the treasured keepsakes that the hosts may think they are.  But since your daughter collects shot glasses, she might want to give personalized ones just to the bridal party and/or immediate family.  Even though my DH and I don't generally drink, I find a shot glass useful in the kitchen as a toothpick holder, bud vase, etc.

And I have no problem with edible favors such as personalized Hershey bars, coffee pouches, and tea bags.  www.exclusivelyweddings.com has a nice selection and I was very happy with everything I ordered from them for my wedding 4 mos ago.  We also gave ribbon bookmarks with a Bible verse on them and our names, the date, and "thank you for sharing our day with us" -- these were very inexpensive and I figure most people can use a ribbon bookmark.

EveT

Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I personally haven't used 99% of the favors I've received at weddings.  We're planning to donate money to a charity (probably split between Human Society and American Cancer Society), on behalf of our guests.  BUT.... , He and I are both involved politically, and I hold an elected office, so we're having bumper stickers w/ our last names "Smith/Jones 2008" made up.  Most won't use them, but everyone who knows us will understand the connection.

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

I used items that are useful..for example, scented candles, shot glasses, measuring spoons, etc.  But, I have to say that I love the favors that are edible the best!

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I too am torn on the favors issue. To favor or NOT to favor... that is the question. I thought about buying small satin bags or those little boxes, putting our name/wedding date on them, and filling them with hershey's kisses. 

As far as other favors, if they aren't edible, I don't take them home... because I know I'll just end up putting them in the trash.

Posted: Sep 11, 2007 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

Honestly, i have never used a personalized wedding favor. If you want to use the glasses or mugs, you could print personalized labels that could be removed by the guests after the wedding. We are giving little bottles of maple syrup and we used clear labels that worked really well.

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 8:30 AM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

I was at a wedding this past weekend that gave out can coozies (also called huggies, coolies or coolers depending on where you're from)  It has their names and date on one side and "I went to X and Y's wedding and all I got was this lousy coozie"  I love it.  FH and I have been using  them every day.  That being said, the FOB owns a screen-printing company so they probably didn't cost anything.

One option FH and I had tossed around was plain frosted shot glasses in our colors and printing stickers on clear labels on our computer for them.  This is a pretty inexpensive solution.  

I wouldn't use the glasses or mugs at the reception and then expect people to take them home.  (Half full glass of sticky stuff in the car on the way home, or having to wash them in the restroom before leaving)  Mugs would be cute with a little tag and bow tied around the handle.

Pens get lost way too easily, IMO.

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

NYBridesmaid Posts : 11 Registered: 6/7/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

On some wedding website (maybe this one) I saw a cute favor idea. They used a plain shot glass (a martini glass would work too) and filled it with jelly beans that matched the decor. They then wrapped it it celophane and tied it with ribbon.  You can personalize it using a tag instead of creating a personalized knick-knack that some people might not use. :)

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: ambiesmom

My supervisor gave me a piece of advice.  In all the weddings she's attended - and she has a very large family - no one remembers what they took home with them.   Save your money.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine