dress for second wedding

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9
dress for second wedding
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 10:25 AM

I'm 48 and will be getting married in an old fashioned lodge in Northern Wisconsin. There will be about 25 people, all immediate family. I had a big wedding the first time and now, I want a simple, but meaningful celebration. I'm not sure what to wear, a gown seems too much. I'm thinking of perhaps a shorter dress, perhaps cream or perhaps a color. Any suggestions of where to look? I've checked Nordstroms Oakbrook and Von Maur, maybe its too early in the season, because I didn't see much. Our wedding is Nov. 23. I live in Naperville, Illinois. Any suggestions of where to shop for a dress? (I went to David's Bridal and didn't see anything like I'm imagining). Thanks for your ideas.

jedigurl Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/07
Re: dress for second wedding
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Two suggestions:

First, consider the "Destinations" lines of like Maggie Sottero and Alfred Angelo, etc.  They are simpler, slightly more casual, some have colors, some are shorter.  You could probably find some nice options there.

Another thought is to shop some of the better mother-of-the-bride dresses.  And don't worry...I certainly don't mean the stuffy old capelike monstrosities...I mean some of the sexier, classier lines.  Check out Mon Cheri Montage line.  They have some gorgeous gowns with beading and even small godet sweep trains which are very sophistocated and lovely.  Some come with removeable jackets if you want something warmer.  All colors - even ivory or champagne if you choose to go more "bridal".  http://www.moncheribridals.com/Montage/MontageWelcome.aspx

impenelope Posts : 268 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know it is probably too far of a drive for you, but there is a bridal shop in New Glarus Wis that carries alot of really nice dresses. I live in MN and have family that live down there and that is where I got my gown.

Try looking at some bridesmaids dresses or informal gowns. There are sooo many options out there that I am sure you will find the dress/gown you love.

Good Luck!!

Posted: Aug 24, 2007 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: impenelope

I looked at some of the above options online, I might not even want an informal gown. I think I'm leaning toward a pretty dress I could wear again. I'm a size bigger on top than on the bottom, and though I'm 5'3", I'm size 16 on top. I might need separates or something that stretches. Thanks for your ideas.

Posted: Sep 9, 2007 12:44 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi - I am getting married in Nov as well.  It is my 2nd marriage (1st one at 19 for 2 years, so it's been a long time - I'm 44).  I didn't know what to wear.  We too want a casual ceremony.  We are getting married on the patio of a restaurant overlooking a lake here in Central FL.  It will be an evening wedding w/about 50 people.  I went shopping for a dress today.  I too checked out Nordstroms etc., but I went to a consignment shop first.  I found the PERFECT dress for me!  I looked great in it - it felt great - and I know my future husband will love it :)  It's BLACK w/white and turquoise color block panels on the front.  Turquoise is his favorite color...I, of course LOVE black, and the black and white combo is great because he is in the car industry and the black and white checkered flag thing works.  I am going to tie in the turquoise with the tablecloths (black linen tablecloth w/white linen overlay - then put a turquoise small cloth in the center w/a votive candle).    Flowers will be white.    I'm a Christian and I don't believe in superstition or luck.  It's going to be our day - before God - making a vow......wear whatever makes you feel fabulous!!! :)

Posted: Sep 9, 2007 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well you need different size on top and skirt, color perhaps... I surfed on one custom-made wedding dress website white angels bridal,  www.whiteangelsbridal.com, and they offer mix-and-match to freely match tens of top and skirt by your own. I guess size should not be a problem with difference on top and bottom.

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I live in Chicago, try Eva's Bridal or House of Brides in Oaklawn they have a huge selection. Did you try any stores in Woodfield Mall? what about Water Tower? Try Macy's, Lord & Taylor,Bloomingdales,Ann Taylor I hope this helps..good luck

"I look forward to pledging my love once again to my friend, my sweetheart, my soul mate on 10~17~2008"

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: luvmygemini

Dear janeyb, I'm in my 50s and got married 4 mos. ago after being widowed.  I looked at Mother of Bride dresses and, well, I didn't like anything I saw and I felt they were overpriced.  I would say to think about the kinds of clothing you generally feel good in, and use that as a guide.

Your taste is your own, but FWIW, I ended up buying an ivory designer suit in a textured weave online from Saks.  I had to do 2 rounds of exchanges to get the right size jacket & skirt, and then had them tailored to fit just right, but it was the perfect outfit for me and my situation.

I'm sure you'll find the dress/separates that will be just right for you!

EveT

Posted: Sep 18, 2007 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I still need your help! I have tried several of the above suggestions. I spent most of my weekend shopping either at both OakBrook Mall and downtown Chicago. I tried each of the "big" department stores. Saw many "Baby Doll" dresses and black dresses. Several of the stores go to a size 12 only (not 14, or 16). Though some of the dresses were almost $1,000, there was very little customer service to speak of (Von Maur has spoiled me). Keep your suggestions and good experiences flowing. I'm too busty for a suit, but I'd consider a separates. Again, I'm looking for elegant, flattering, but not a big gown. Doesn't have to be ivory. (There will be a 30-ft. Christmas tree next to us) The setting is an old-fashioned lodge. Lots of wood, navy/cream carpeting, holiday time. Thanks again for responding. 

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi again Janeb...

Wow you were all over Chicago! Sorry to hear you haven't found anything yet.. Have you tried a mother of the bride dress? some of them are very nice and could be worn by the bride in a more simple but elegant ceremony. I will keep brainstorming and post more suggestions..

Edited to add:  I thought to check Spiegel and found this dress not sure if you will like it but... take a look here is the link

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=29511015&index=61&gp_coll_id=5001&gp_cat_id=5002&nav_cat_id=8392&category_id=10735

"I look forward to pledging my love once again to my friend, my sweetheart, my soul mate on 10~17~2008"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine