Whats your wedding budget?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

ddboo Posts : 137 Registered: 1/21/07
Whats your wedding budget?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 10:09 PM

I had planned to spend not more than $10,000 but now its seems like am running into $16,000

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Whats your wedding budget?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

We had the same problem (married 3 mos ago).  But I always have trouble comparing the total amt. against someone else's budget, because I never know if others are counting the honeymoon, the prenuptial agreement legal fees, the engagement ring, engagement portrait, etc.  So I never know if I'm comparing apples to apples.

Are you looking for ways to trim your budget, or just commiseration?  I can tell you the things we saved on.  Our reception was brunch in the church parish hall -- about $250 room rental and $1500 catering, no alcohol, no DJ or band.  We only invited about 65 people, of whom about 50 came.  We only had a photographer for 1 hour, as a "deluxe on-location portrait session" rather than a regular wedding rate.  We had no BMs or GM, so no bouquets our bouts or gifts for them.  We did give small gifts to the guest book attendant, reader, family members, and special friends.  We had just a few personalized favors: mini Hershey bars, tea bags, coffee pouches, and ribbon bookmarks.  We hosted a 2nd reception the next day on the opposite coast for my family (16 people), brunch (again no alcohol except a champagne toast), in a private room at a hotel, which cost about $1,000 counting the food, cake, flowers, and photographer.  Areas where we spent more were our attire (good quality suits and shoes we'll wear again on other occasions) and a professional oboe soloist to play with the organist.  Our honeymoon in Hawaii was a major chunk of our budget, but I did book a discount package with "standard" (not ocean view) rooms.

How far in the future is your wedding?  If you still have a few months to go, and need to trim your budget, you and your FH (and anyone else who is contributing financially) might want to sit down and go over the costs, and see if there are areas where you're willing to go with a cheaper option.  Best wishes!

Eve T

totobride Posts : 641 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:37 AM Go to message in response to: ddboo

We have an exact budget of $12,000.  BUT, since my dad is giving me the wedding present of being able to plan my own wedding (therefore, writing me a check) at my own pace with whatever budget (within that) I want, I may pare it down and start saving the rest.

Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: ddboo

We planned $10000 for our daughter (not counting the honeymoon & rings) & ended at $11500 - not bad considering we had 200 guests & a full buffet dinner with DJ, plus a limo. I managed to learn how to cut costs tremendously! I found some great websites & used many ideas to still have an elegant but less costly wedding/reception for them.

IndyCindy

ddboo Posts : 137 Registered: 1/21/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:36 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

All your ideas same really good but how did u manage to only invite 65 ppl. My mom who is helping out suggested we only invite 100 persons but it is pretty hard to cut back on persons u have known ya entire life.  Now am up to 200 guest.  The $16,000 includes honeymoon and rings it also includes apartment when we are married (first, last and security approximately $2100).  I have 4 bm and 2 moh ( i only have 2 sisters and they are twins, i could not chose one over the other).  Lucky for me my mom bakes so she is doing my wedding cake, and my aunt is a seamstress so she is making my wedding dresss that my sister designed, i also have a godfather who is a photographer so he is doing my pictures as a gift to us, also we are having a live band ( ffil has a band that plays at weddings and special functions, another gift to us). I know you might be wondering what is really costing so much, well i am getting married on March 24, easter monday and i want a garden theme wedding, the garden to rent is $800 this does not include chairs ($1 each with 200 guest) and tent ($350 each and i need two for the amount of guest am having). The reception site is $1000 and the caterer is $3000. Our rings is $1500 each and honeymoon we are budgeting $2000.  I havent got a quote yet on flowers and centerpieces or on  videographer and transportation. we also set a miscellaneous budget at $1000 (to pay for his suit and my shoes and accessories and any other nic nac that may come up).  So if there is anyway i can politely cut down on people please tell me your secret.

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

Our original budget was $10,000 but we ended up at about $13,000.  That doesn't include the honeymoon and rings, which amounted to about $1500-- DH and I paid for that ourselves-- or moving expenses, which were about $2000 (split with my parents).  It does include all the little stuff-- shoes, jewelry, guest book, etc.

jedigurl Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

It was about 10K, not including rings and honeymoon.  We had about 50 people and I did a lot of stuff myself.  I think we ended up pretty much around that - maybe 1k more or so.

Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

If you really want to stay witnin your given budget, I suggest you prioritize. In order to be able to stay int hat budget, you may need to change your approach to the wedding setting - you are investing in a lot of money into rental items. An actual recetion site may be less $$. Our entire reception - included everything - was $4000 for 200.

IndyCindy

ricksang Posts : 100 Registered: 7/28/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

Our budget was 20,000. We are 10,000 over. So 30,000. Including everything and honeymoon... I hope Cry

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

We have our budget set at 35K but we're aiming to do it for 28k. We're finding a lot of ways to cut corners without compromising the elegance we want. 
The Big Day: 9/20/08

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

5K... and it looks like I'm gonna make it!

Teee Posts : 4 Registered: 8/18/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Hi ladies...I'm new here and newly engaged.  HOLY CRAP!!!  why are weddings so expensive?

SoonToBeMissusAu  Kiss

CocaMarie1378 Posts : 76 Registered: 11/4/06
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

Well unlike every other bride on here my budget may sound crazy but it has nothing to really do with my vision but to outside forces (my mother and FMIL).  My current budget is set at $50k (yes, I know) but am looking to spend only $30k of it and bank the rest of it.  The reason my budget expanded because they are trying to go for the glitz and glamour by showing off to friends and went and told my FH that is how much an elegant wedding was going to cost.  So instead of fussing with him and them, am spear heading my own wedding plans and is making sure that am well under $30k and that the other $20k is put up for a rainy day.

Wishing you PEACE, LOVE and HAPPINESS

eek Posts : 394 Registered: 7/2/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: Teee

"Hi ladies...I'm new here and newly engaged.  HOLY CRAP!!!  why are weddings so expensive?"

Crazy, right? I was extremely surprised too. It makes me a little sick to my stomach.

Well, we started off with a $5000 (my savings, his paycheck, some from my family). Then we decided that we'd be able to save another $1500 (adding up to about $6500 as we realized that weddings were much more expensive than we thought.)

Recently, my mother has given us money to up it to $10,000.

But, I hoping to spend no more than $8000. 

cll Posts : 270 Registered: 2/10/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: ddboo

I dont want to spend no more than 20k, but it looks like its not going to happen! I cringe thinking about all that money for 1 day!! I am trying to cut corners by making a lot of things myself and still have the glamour that I'm looking for. The money is in the reception though.....I cant find an adequate reception site under 20k for 200 people!! Ugggghhhhh......

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine