Conservative junior bdm and flowergirl dresses in black??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
Conservative junior bdm and flowergirl dresses in black??
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 1:01 AM

Hi ladies!

I basically came on here in desperation wondering if ANYONE out there could point me in the right direction. My senior female attendants (MOH and BDMs) are all wearing black Alfred Angelo separates: http://www.alfredangelo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/collections.displayMixMatch/categoryId/7ca192cc-0f8c-4474-99fa-6343769b3889#The top is # 6104, which is spaghetti strapped with a deep scoop back, and the bottom is MSKT-K. Since we are getting married in a Catholic church in November, they'll be covering up with elegant pashminas in either copper or burgundy.Now, I need to find modest, conservative one-piece dresses for my 10 yr old junior BDM (who BTW is very tall for her age and big enough physically to wear a grown woman’s dress, but not old enough to wear a grownup style) and my 3 5-yr-old flowergirls because I do not feel that the older BDM style is appropriate for these girls at our wedding, but all the dresses I've found so far have spaghetti straps, plunging backs, V-necks or dropped necklines, no sleeves, etc. It seems like these dress designers assume that every wedding in the world takes place in a non-church setting at the height of summer!!  Does anyone know of a website that has what I’m looking for? Maybe I should just wait until the holiday dresses start coming into the local dept stores?I suppose if worse comes to worse, I could just give in and get the girls one of the bare styles and have them cover up with pashminas too. But I am NOT thrilled about that possibility. Maybe I’m just too much of a prude. Okay, I’ll accept that. But you know what, my wedding is in freakin’ November, it’s gonna be chilly and I don’t want my girls shivering from the cold!! (You can tell, I’m a mom in the making …)Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide …        

Re: Conservative junior bdm and flowergirl dresses in black??
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I had the same problem finding a nice dress for my daughter who's 13. In the end I found a junior bridesmaid dress from davids's bridal with spagetti straps, it didn't look as bad on her, in fact it's quite sweet. They do have another one that has proper shoulder straps, and it comes in black, but it's tea length.

http://davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_detail.jsp?stid=2831&prodgroup=86

Or this one.

http://davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_detail.jsp?stid=2829&prodgroup=86

Saabgirl88Wink

Message was edited by Saabgirl88 on Aug 12, 2007 10:08 AM

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

dessy.com just came out with a line for fgs.

http://www.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=flower_girl

http://www.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=flower_girl&i=2

http://www.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=flower_girl&i=4

http://www.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=flower_girl&i=5

The only problem is that its not telling me what colors they come in nor what sizes do they have.

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi, thanks for the lead - if I end up using one of them for my junior bdm, I'll just get her a pashmina and have her wear it around her shoulders and neck. Thanks again.  

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

OK, thanks for the lead. again these dresses don't have sleeves either so I'd have to use pashminas for these too, but better half a loaf than none at all I guess ... Does the bridal industry just not like sleeves any more?? LOL.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Maybe I should just wait until the holiday dresses start coming into the local dept stores?

Not a bad idea, since black for little girls (e.g. black velvet) is very popular for the holidays. I'd suggest going beyond just bridal stores for their outfits. Large department stores (Macy's, Nordstrom) have loads of selections that are suitable for flower girls. And I'd probably task their mothers with the job of finding their dresses, unless they all must match. Mothers usually don't want to put five-year-olds in dresses that are not appropriate. And you still can set parameters for them.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: myra

They all have to match, or at least look similar, and they have to match the length of the senior BDM outfits (tea length, hitting just below knees). Tasking the moms with finding dresses would have been a great idea, but 2 of the 3 flower girls live out of state so that makes it harder for the moms to coordinate with me. I decided it would just be easier for me to handle all 4 of the dresses myself to ensure consistency, and the dresses would be their gift from the bride and groom.  

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Does anybody know of a bridal or other dress shop online that caters to the Orthodox Jewish community? I was thinking I might just hit the jackpot if I did that. Thanks ... :-)

darkchild24 Posts : 196 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

well, you could try looking at some websites that specialize in more modest dresses and outfits, usually you'll see them tagged as being geared towards the LDS bridal outlet...i'll look up some site and see if they have anything that fits what you need.

-Laura

NYBridesmaid Posts : 11 Registered: 6/7/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not sure if this is whate you're looking for (or what your/their budget is) but J. Crew has some nice stuff- and adorable flower girl dresses:

Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: darkchild24

Thanks, I didn't think of the LDS community as another possibility ... I'll try to look, too.

Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: NYBridesmaid

Hi - thanks so much for the J Crew link, I had no idea they even had a bridal line. Great bridesmaid dresses. The one FG dress with the puff sleeves in the FG section is EXACTLY the type of thing I'm looking for, for the FGs, but my budget unfortunately can't accommodate 3 dresses. Well, at least I know something like that is out there. I'll keep looking to see if I can find any resources in the Orthodox Jewish and LDS communities, and hit the local dept stores once the fall inventory comes out for holiday dresses.

Posted: Aug 13, 2007 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I found that ARIA is a wonderful gown company, and they also offer gowns in kid sizes.  My junior bridesmaid was 10 in my wedding and she wore a sleeveless A-line dress in chocolate brown.  The gown fit splendidly and she was even able to wear it again to church after the wedding.   ARIA offers black in both shantung silk and also in a satin.  Their site is www.ariadress.com and I think you will find they have adorable styles for the younger wedding party members and are super easy to work with.

Good luck!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know much about flower girl dresses as I didn't have them in my wedding, but if you say your jbm is big enough to wear grown up sizes (I was at that age too!) why not have her do the alfred angelo separates, but with a different top?  I would say you definitely want her to be in the same brand and order at the same time as your other bms so the dresses are the same color (different designers have different shades of black, and if you place your orders at different times from different stores, you can end up with different dye lots of fabric, therefore different shades of the same color).  I know that AA has a top in the separates collection with short sleeves.  Also, all of the strapless tops can have straps added, and that with a wrap might work for you.

If you're having trouble with black flower girl dresses, what about putting them in an accent color, like the burgundy you mentioned?  That might solve your problem.

Good luck!! 

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Wow, fabulous ideas!! I don't know if there is enough time to do the AA separates for my JBM, though - the orders for my BMs were placed back in July and according to the bridal shop, those won't come in till early Oct. I'll call them and see what they can do, and go from there depending on what they say. Thanks so much. I'll keep everybody posted on what I decide to do.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine