Thoughtful or Just Crappy?

Online Users: 1,316 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

onemissa Posts : 320 Registered: 7/13/06
Thoughtful or Just Crappy?
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 2:53 PM

My friend is having a Bridal Shower next month and I really want to give her more personal than something off her registry. Plus, I don't have very much money and everything on her registry is expensive. Well, I'm a very crafty person and I love to cross-stitch. So, I thought about giving her something that I would make myself with their names and their wedding date. It could also be put in a picture frame. Would this be ok to give as a gift?

Re: Thoughtful or Just Crappy?
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

I think it's a great idea! I would love to have something like that myself! It's more personal than just going to a store a pick up something... I love the idea your friend will love it so go for it. They can display your lovely gift in there home, and will she it all the time and think of you!

I'll be a Mrs. on November 3, 2007! Kiss

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

Personally I think it is thoughtful. I would have loved if someone did something that personal for me. But you need to judge based on how well you know your friend. Is she more materialistic? If she only put expensive items on her registery that would signal that to me.

I would say if you think it is something that your friend would like include a nice note saying you wanted to give something from the heart.

Sorry if that didn't help.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

I think its great.

When my best friend got married, my other best friend made a blanket by hand, personal to she and her husband.  I was so jealous of that gift - not that I wanted it, that I wished I could make one for someone myself.

Seriously, if you've got skills like that, put them to use.  Your friend will love it (at least, I would).

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

gifts from the heart & soul are more precious than a gift that she maybe expecting from her registery. 

I did a cross stitch for my nieces & newphews when they were born.

Good luck, happy planning & happy wedding day

eek Posts : 394 Registered: 7/2/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

I think that is a fantastic idea. Plus, it is something they can pass on to their children and grandchildren.

My grandmother crocheted a blanket for each of her children's weddings and each birth (and the three adoptions) of her grandchildren. We keep mine in our family room and it never fails to draw compliments.

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: eek

It is a lovely idea.  Very thoughtful -- not in the least crappy!

If you have any doubts about whether putting it in a frame on the wall will harmonize with the rest of her decor, you could make it a tea towel (kitchen towel) or a set of pillow cases.  Or you could embroider a handkerchief that she could carry on her wedding day.

Eve T

Nichole3 Posts : 1,410 Registered: 5/15/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2007 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: onemissa

After my youngest daughter was born, my husband's aunt gave me a blanket that she had made for her.  My MIL told me she spent a month sitting on the couch every night working on it (she is older and in poor health).  I thought that it was so sweet of her to make something special for the baby.  It's a beautiful and thoughtful thing to spend time and energy to make someone a gift.  I think that your friend will love it.  You would be giving more than a gift, you would be giving her a keepsake.  And I'm sure she would treasure it.

Photo_051307_001.jpg my two nicks picture by nichole55_photos 

My baby!! Smile

Blinkie Maker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine