What to do when the Wedding Coordinator doesn't call back!

Online Users: 1,325 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 9
What to do when the Wedding Coordinator doesn't call back!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 2:08 PM

I've been trying to reach the wedding coordinator at the reception site for about 2 months now, and she has not called or emailed me back!  My wedding isn't until October 5th, but there are a number of things I have to talk with her about.  For example, she figured out and sent us a prelim budget, but we think she did it for too many people (it looks like she calculated for 175 when we're only inviting 130).  I just want to make sure she's the one that made the error.  Otherwise, we have to save up some more money!  We also have to order favors from her.  I think I'm just venting now, but any advice on how to get in touch with her would be helpful.

Re: What to do when the Wedding Coordinator doesn't call back!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry to hear you're having problems connecting with her.  Have you tried to stop by the reception site or her office at all?  Is there someone who works at the reception site besides her in the same or similar department that you could contact?  That has to be very frustrating to not get ahold of her.  I would definately try to speak with someone else at the reception site that could get a message to her or that is able to help you.  If that doesn't work I'd try to show up at the reception site or her office.  Good luck.

Posted: Jul 19, 2007 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The reception site is an hour away and I work mon-fri till 5.  So it's really hard to schedule an appt with her (esp cause so many weddings are on sat and sun).  I'm going up this weekend with the florist so I'm going to try to catch her then... And everyone else I talk to only says "well you're going to have to speak with the wedding coordinator about that".  I just dont' know what else to do.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello. Im assuming that because your Wedding Coordinator works for the venue and not directly for you, she has a lot of Brides to deal with at once; so normally the Brides whose weddings are happening FIRST will be thefirst priority. That being said, there is NO reason that you should not be able to reach her at all, or simply aska question etc. The venue should be there for you through the entire wedding process, and some places are better than others at this. I know when I was planning my wedding, I constantly had questions and I was FOREVER emailing back and forth with the Banquet Manager at the hall. She ALWAYS got back to me within the same day, and was always very helpful. So I think that if you have tried all avenues of connecting.. phonecalls, email,etc.. it might be time to see if you can speak with someone else about your concerns of lack of communication. If you can, stop by the venue like Hunter suggested and try and get this resolved. Your venue should make you feel as if you are a priority ...after all you are paying them good money to get quality service. I just became a Wedding Planner myself recently, and I always make it a point to contact my Client by email or phone at LEAST once a week just to make sure everything is okay on her end and that she doesnt need anything. Good communication is key. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to demand it.
Kelley Lynn:)

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello. Im assuming that because your Wedding Coordinator works for the venue and not directly for you, she has a lot of Brides to deal with at once; so normally the Brides whose weddings are happening FIRST will be thefirst priority. That being said, there is NO reason that you should not be able to reach her at all, or simply aska question etc. The venue should be there for you through the entire wedding process, and some places are better than others at this. I know when I was planning my wedding, I constantly had questions and I was FOREVER emailing back and forth with the Banquet Manager at the hall. She ALWAYS got back to me within the same day, and was always very helpful. So I think that if you have tried all avenues of connecting.. phonecalls, email,etc.. it might be time to see if you can speak with someone else about your concerns of lack of communication. If you can, stop by the venue like Hunter suggested and try and get this resolved. Your venue should make you feel as if you are a priority ...after all you are paying them good money to get quality service. I just became a Wedding Planner myself recently, and I always make it a point to contact my Client by email or phone at LEAST once a week just to make sure everything is okay on her end and that she doesnt need anything. Good communication is key. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to demand it.
Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This sounds familiar, although I haven't had to wait two months. Unfortunately, they can't seem to handle more than one wedding at a time. So whoever comes before you is getting the calls. Are you close enough to just show up at her office door? I have finally just asked for a meeting with not just her, but the banquet manager and food and beverage director... so I can get everything agreed up and in writing asap. Wedding is 10/13.
Lucky 13

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that's outrageous and would not put up with it. If she does not answer, I would go over her head--as has been said, she works for the venue, and it's the management's job to please YOU. for all you know, they may be fooled into thinking that she's doing a fine job, but, if they want to stay in business, they should know when their people are not performing. If you can't get her at any other time, I'd show up on a Saturday and scream my head off (but, that's me!)

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would continue to try to call her and write down every single date and time.  Leave a message and be polite but tell her you are very concerned that she hasn't answered any of your messages.  Then, try to get in touch with someone above her and ask them why she hasn't returned any of your calls.  Write down that call, too.  After all that, if you are still getting nowhere and it has been a month or so (if it was just over a week or two it is possible she could be on vacation or something) send a certified letter to the venue with a list of all the times you have tried to call and your questions and concerns.  If you STILL get no response... you might want to consider moving your reception!

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

I have had many instances of people not calling back. The key is to get angry.

Leave an angry message on her machine saying this isn't acceptable and you need to speak together as soon as possible. Then speak to someone else in the office and get angry to that person.

I know it isn't a good solution but since you are so far and can't popl in (could someone else do it for you?) the phone is your only help right now and you should call and say "If your call isn't returned within the next two days you will consider taking your business elseware and will inform people not to use this venue as they are unreliable."

You should get a response back after that.

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: magicjenna

I decided to take your guys' advice and show up at the reception hall.  I finally was able to speak with her.  She explained that the email system at the site was down and she didn't get any of my messages.  But, what about the phone calls??  Anyways, she emailed me what I needed and started using her home computer.  (I can tell because she emails me at 11 at night).  She hasn't returned my email, but it has only been a day or 2, so I'll wait a few more.  I'm just glad you guys agree with me that it was a little ridiculous and I'm not being a pain by calling all the time.  I gotta learn to get angry sometimes!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine