What to bring when trying on dresses?

Online Users: 1,354 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

2008Bride Posts : 95 Registered: 3/28/06
What to bring when trying on dresses?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 11:13 AM

I have made an appointment to try on dresses, but what am I supposed to bring? I bought a strapless bra to bring. I would love to buy one of those dress sucker inner things that takes care of making my tummy look slimmer, but would it be odd to purchase that for trying on the dresses? I have had my eye on this one single dress for a year now and don't want a little extra bulge in the front to discourage my choice. Also, they don;t follow you into the dressing room to help, do they? I mean do they let you put it on and THEN they help you zip or button it up? I really don;t want a possessive sales person coming in with me lol. Thank everyone!

Nicole

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Re: What to bring when trying on dresses?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

Went I went dress shopping for the first time, I didn't bring anything.  They let me use any undergarments (bra, crinoline) that I needed.  If you have a specific one you want to use, I'd bring it.  The lady didn't follow me into the fitting room.  I just opened the door when I wanted her to zip me up.

Good luck!

-Ness

New wedding date: June-ish 2008... maybe?

And when you say forever can't you see you've already captured me. - Mae

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

When I tried on dresses I don't think I brought much with me. Maybe a strapless bra but I don't remember. I know I didn't bring shoes with me.

If you think you need to bring something call the shop and ask.

As for helping in the dressing room it will vary. If you are going to try on a super poofy princess gown there is no way you can get into it yourself and the sales lady will probably help you. Also if the dress is heavy they will help. I tried on a super heavy dress and couldn't get into it without help. (I didn't get that one though :-)

Message was edited by magicjenna on Jul 24, 2007 11:37 AM

MrsWilliams080808 Posts : 16 Registered: 5/12/07
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

Definitely your own strapless bra...I wouldn't touch their bras because who knows how often they clean them and I've seen their bras they have in the store and they look really nasty.  I wouldn't say buy an undergarment just for trying them on, just suck it in and you should be able to get an idea of how it will look.  As far as following you into the dressing room, it depends on the store.  Definitely with the higher end stores, they will follow you in and help you into the dress.  Even at some of the regular stores, they will do that probably because most ppl won't know how to put the dress on properly(some of those dresses are a real work to get on), they don't want you to damage the sample trying to get it on, and I think some shops know that ppl will try to take pics in the room so they want to watch you if they don't allow pics to be taken of the dresses.  I would also bring shoes because it gives you an idea of what height heel you might need or if you might want to get the hollow to hem measurement and you need to know how high of a heel you can have. 

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

I just took a strapless bra with me.  Each store provided a crinoline to go underneath, and I was always helped into the dress by the saleslady. It's not uncomfortable or violating though... they're professionals, and they know how to get you in and out of the dress safely!!!  From my experience, you go in the fitting room and put your bra and the crinoline on first, then when you're ready they'll put the dress over your head.

When I went to David's (did not get my dress there) they gave me one of those sucks-you-in bustier type things... they were pretty insistent that I use that instead of my own bra.  Well, the thing didn't fit me all that well, and it was REALLY uncomfortable. For my wedding day, I just wore a regular strapless bra. 

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:19 PM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

Most stores have the basics, so you don't have to bring anything.  Like the previous post said, I would bring my own strapless.  Stores usually have the shoes, petticoat, and a bustier.  Oh....and don't forget to bring your camera.  Laughing

Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

I just went recently and I didn't take anything (I went to David's Bridal). Looking back, I would have brought my own bustier/corset because the one they gave me to use didn't really fit.

I went by myself and so the saleswoman actually came into the dressing room with me to help me with the before mentioned ill fitting bra as well as helping me in/out of the dresses. That was a little awkward at first, but she was really nice and even took pictures of me in the dress to send to my family.

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I wore my own strapless bra, so I could get an idea of the neckline and what type of bra back I would need.  I also wore a pair of heels.  I used the provided crinolins.  My mom and sister came with me into the dressing room, there was no way I would have gotten those dresses on by myself.  If I hadn't had people with me I would have asked the sales lady for help.  If you can't bring someone with you, the sales ladies are always professional.  At least at the places I went.

Me, my honey and our kitty make 3.

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

At my dress shop the lady was in with me the whole time while I was getting the dress on. She was very modest and averted her eyes while I was undressed. I knew she wasn't in there to get a look at me mostly naked, so I really just tried to think of it as "at least she's in here so I don't wreck this $1000 dress and have to pay for damaged goods!"

Just make sure you have on nice panties, shaved pits and legs, and you should have nothing to worry about if the lady accidentally sees you undressed Smile

Message was edited by FutureEA on Jul 25, 2007 9:45 PM

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

In contrast to what most of you said, I brought every accessory: strapless (convertible) bra, shoes, earrings, stuff to pin my hair up so I could see whether a dress would look better with an up-do.  And I wore makeup.  I was shopping alone, so I felt I needed all the help I could get to imagine how a given dress would look when I was all dolled up!

I ended up buying my outfit online from the Saks Fifth Avenue website, though, after consulting with my best friend 3,000 miles away on the phone -- and nobody saw me in it until I went to the tailor to have it fitted, LOL.

Eve T

2008Bride Posts : 95 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Since I have had my eye on the same dress for over a year now, I want to make it just as special as I have imagined it in my mind over the years. I'm not really worried about anyone seeing me in the dressing room, I was just wondering how that aspect all worked out. I'm going to wear a strapless bra when I go, but what I was mostly concerned with was bringing the thing that sucks your tummy in. The reason why I would want to bring one is because I've gained weight since FH and I have started dating and I'm a little embarrassed about it. I rather not have any lumps showing through my tummy if possible too because I'm afraid then I will put looking for a dress off until last minute. I wish I wasn't so self consious about it. I work so damn hard too to get rid of the extra weight. I've been working hard to get rid of it and just don't want to be discouraged while trying the dress of my dreams on. Does that make sense?

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 12:45 PM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

It absolutely makes sense, I would bring something like that with me too... it isn't like it would go to waste if you bought it and didn't use it. You could always use something like that for other things you own.

Posted: Jul 26, 2007 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: 2008Bride

Totally hear you on that!

I would definitely bring something like that so you can see how the dress is truly going to look. After trying on my dress with a girdle and without...believe me...it makes a difference! :-)

Good luck and have a great time!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine