Bride wants to take bridesmaid out because of weight

Online Users: 1,256 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 40
Re: Bride wants to take bridesmaid out because of weight
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: BriansBride2008

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the average size for women these days are between 8-16. 

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It is.  (though sizes really mean very little as a practical matter).

I still can't believe the bride actually said that.  It takes a completely self-involved person to say something so hurtful.  _______________________________________________________
Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up. - Joseph Barth

Message was edited by MsDenuninani on Jul 25, 2007 2:59 PM

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Claudine, is this girl usually self-centered and shallow or has the wedding made her go mental?

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think what the bride is considering is very inappropriate...but I have a feeling that she is a perfectionist. I do have this vision everyone looking uniform in my wedding....but that is not going to happen. I am 5'2'', two of my bridesmaids are 5'4''. The 3rd bridesmaid is 5'11''. So there is quite a difference in height. At first i was hestitant but now I'm completely over it and it doesnt bother me anymore.
The Big Day: 9/20/08

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

newsjunkie

You know what I would never thought of her as being self-centered or shallow because whenever I run into her she is always really nice, but she is one of those person that always have to have what she wants.  But when she made that comment at the party I was just in shock, and was actually waiting for her to say I joking or something humorist.  I would never even think of doing something like that to any of my bridesmaids.

I know that my sister and the other bridesmaids are very upset.  It's a bad situation to be in because if my sister decide not to go then she is wrong because friends don't cop out on other friends as the bride shouldn't do that to hear friend.

I just hope no one will say anything to the bridesmaid about this, for I am sure she would be very upset drama to add on more drama for her.  I really want to know what her FH is going to say about this, a real man would tell her she's wrong, I think 

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: BriansBride2008

I'm sure there have been a thousand posts about this "bridesmaid contract"--but when I saw this post it made me think of it.....I think the girl who made it says it was a joke. Check out the contract below.....there are a few articles about it online and i think the bride was actually on a talk show discussing it:

Bridesmaid’s Contract

Hello my beautiful bridesmaids! Let me just say again how happy I am that you are going to be a part of my special day! Below are just a few guidelines for the wedding that I’d like you to review, please initial by each point, sign at the end and send back to me. Just want to make sure they’re aren’t any surprises! The planning bride is a happy bride! Thanks a bunch! Love ya! -Katie

______ My hair will remain at the length it is now or longer.

______ I will not change my hair color without first consulting Katie and providing a sample photo or hair swatch for consideration.

______ I will use Sally Hansen’s “Maximum Growth-Daily Nail Growth program” every day for the 4 months before the wedding day.

______ I will not gain more than 4lbs from the weight I was when I was asked to be a bridesmaid.

______ I swear to attend all showers, (lingerie, bridal & bachelorette) to arrive in a timely manner and do everything in my power to support and “be there” for the bride.

______ I will purchase the David’s Bridal style # 81123 dress below in Latte/Champagne within 3 weeks of today.

______ I will NOT knowingly get pregnant without notifying Katie at least 4 months prior to the wedding so a suitable alternate can be found. I will also give my purchased bridesmaid dress to said alternate.

I do hereby swear that I will adhere to all of the above & other understood bridesmaid duties for the wedding on September 21, 2007
X_________________________
(sign, print and date)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3217531

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: BriansBride2008

I'm sure there have been a thousand posts about this "bridesmaid contract"--but when I saw this post it made me think of it.....I think the girl who made it says it was a joke. Check out the contract below.....there are a few articles about it online and i think the bride was actually on a talk show discussing it:

Bridesmaid’s Contract

Hello my beautiful bridesmaids! Let me just say again how happy I am that you are going to be a part of my special day! Below are just a few guidelines for the wedding that I’d like you to review, please initial by each point, sign at the end and send back to me. Just want to make sure they’re aren’t any surprises! The planning bride is a happy bride! Thanks a bunch! Love ya! -Katie

______ My hair will remain at the length it is now or longer.

______ I will not change my hair color without first consulting Katie and providing a sample photo or hair swatch for consideration.

______ I will use Sally Hansen’s “Maximum Growth-Daily Nail Growth program” every day for the 4 months before the wedding day.

______ I will not gain more than 4lbs from the weight I was when I was asked to be a bridesmaid.

______ I swear to attend all showers, (lingerie, bridal & bachelorette) to arrive in a timely manner and do everything in my power to support and “be there” for the bride.

______ I will purchase the David’s Bridal style # 81123 dress below in Latte/Champagne within 3 weeks of today.

______ I will NOT knowingly get pregnant without notifying Katie at least 4 months prior to the wedding so a suitable alternate can be found. I will also give my purchased bridesmaid dress to said alternate.

I do hereby swear that I will adhere to all of the above & other understood bridesmaid duties for the wedding on September 21, 2007
X_________________________
(sign, print and date)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3217531

sstamper Posts : 621 Registered: 9/15/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW, I am sorry to say but your sister's friend is a BITCH! I have to say before I met my FH I was a nice size 7/8 I gained tons of weight after a couple years of us dating and went to a size 10-11 now I am finally getting myself back to were I want to be. I know for me if anyone would have told me "man you put on some weight" I think....I know I would have been crushed, hurt, mad,  all of the above. How rude are some women ( or I guess I should say girls) I hope a real women wouldn't be doing that to each other. How Sad. Best of Luck to your sister I know I would step down if I knew the bride was being such a bitch.

Sue & Marcus 10/13/07

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That made me laugh... thanks for that!

I should have made my bridesmaids sign a contract that said I will not correct the bride with things I think are correct based on my brothers wedding.

Sorry that was off topic...

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: magicjenna

i'm confused....what do you mean about the brother's wedding....i think i missed something in the post.....

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry, I was just venting... There is one bridesmaid (really a groomswoman) who keeps telling us the way things are supposed to be done and drove me nuts for a while. I don't know why I posted that. Still bothers me I guess.

Sorry for the tangent but an example is we told her that we met with the caterer and rabbi and the rehearsal for the wedding was on Saturday she said no it is on Friday, it was how her brother did it. Well were you at the meeting an hour ago with the rabbi? No? Then don't tell me when the rehearsal is. She has done it for other things too. And now that my wedding is getting closer I am just stressing about things I settled already.

Sorry for the hijack.

That bride from the original post really needs a reality check.

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: magicjenna

that girl sounds like a complete ass.  that's really horrible.. it's shallow to begin with but most people have the common sense to know when they should repeat everything that runs through their head and when its better to just LET IT GO.  my tallest bridesmaid is 6'0 and my shortest is 4'9.  some of them will be walking alongside men who are inches shorter than them.  i would never cut them out for ANY reason (unless our friendship ended, i guess), because i love them.

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Acutally I completely understand where this bride is coming from....uh, no not really.  Maybe I am wrong, but I asked my bridemaids to stand up with me becuase they have stood up iwth me for all other parts of my life.  They are really and truly my best and greatest friends and I have become a better person for having them in my life. 

I was asked to be a bridemaid in a wedding where the bride asked us all to dye our hair blonde, and quietly approached me about loosing weight so that I would be between a size 2 and 4 ( I think that was it)  Now understand that as of February 14 2006 I was a size happy 16. For some medical reasons that I will not get into, I was told that I needed to loose some weight, and be more healthy. so I decided to join weight watchers to get healthy.  I am now, and when this bride asked,  a size 8-10 after loosing 50 bls, and I have 18 lbs to go before the wedding.  Even with those 18 lbs, I will be a size 6 at best.  But more importanlty I will be healthy and happy 125 lbs.  The weight my doctor recommends for me.

By the way I am not standing up in that wedding, I politly declined, knowing I would never be the barbie doll that bride watned, instead I am singing for her wedding.  A gift I can give with all my heart and not have to have major plastic surgery and bones removed to acheive.

Sorry slight hi-jack.  Anyway, hopefully this bride will come to her senses, and realize more important then her wedding , or her cookie cutter, bridemaids is the fact that her FRIEND needs her right now. 

Me, my honey and our kitty make 3.

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There are no words...

stories lke that make me wonder sometimes. 

And the bridesmaids contract - hilarious!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

HOLY CRAP. Does anyone remember Hottbride??? Im sure you all do. This post reminds me verymuch of that one, except this post is REAL, and this Bride is REAL, and that is VERY frightening. I think the comment that is most disturbing to me is the part about how the Bride thinks its perfectly okay to keep her in the wedding, but "put her in the back" of the pictures. That is horrid!!! What a truly horrible person she is, seriously.

As an overweight person myself, I can imagine being VERY hurt and embarassed if I got the feeling I wasnt wanted in the wedding because I gained some weight. And trust me.. this girl KNOWS that she has gained weight, she doesnt feel good about it as is, and she is not stupid. She is probably very aware of whats going on at least somewhat. If I were her, I would probably leave the wedding party and tell the Bride exactly what I thought of her and her insinuations... rather than stay and be humiliated by her on the Wedding Day and everyday leading up to it. I wouldnt leave quietly either.. Id tell that Bride OFF and then leave her wiht her perfectly sized Bridal party. What a Bitch.

Kelley Lynn:)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine