Is this bad luck?

Online Users: 1,238 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

BrianKsGirl Posts : 7 Registered: 7/25/07
Is this bad luck?
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 1:13 PM

Hi!  I am new here and this is my first post.  My FH and I are not officially engaged yet, but he has spoken to my dad.  A friend of our family is making my ring and he is out of the country until Aug 1 and even then it will probably take about 4 weeks to complete.  So, he is waiting to propose until the ring is ready.  We live in OH now but are having the wedding in NY which is where I am originally from and my family still is.  I am going there to visit next week and figured I should look at some places while I am there.  We really want to get married next June so I feel a lot of pressure to book something ASAP.  So really my question is, is it bad luck to book before I am "officially" engaged?  My mom seems to think it is and since my parents are paying I want them to feel comfortable.  I only have a few places that I am really interested in and don't want to miss out.  We have been together for over 3 years, have lived together for almost 2 and we are not that young (30ish) so we definitley know what we are doing.  Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom! 

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) - ee cummings

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Is this bad luck?
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 1:18 PM Go to message in response to: BrianKsGirl

No, it is not. FH and I had our hall booked before the official engagement. If you want next June, you are going to have to act fast. Depending on where in NY you are going to look, I can help. I'm from Brooklyn myself.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

I don't think it is.  If your wedding is going to be in one of the big wedding months, I suggest booking now.  Better now and get what you two really want then having to go with something you don't want as much!

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

I agree with Bride2008 if you want next June you need to start planning right away.

If you and your guy have mutally decided to plan a wedding you are engaged in my book, ring or no ring. I started looking at places before I had mine.

Where in NY are you looking, I am getting married on Long Island and would be happy to recommend people if you are looking.

Welcome to the board

BrianKsGirl Posts : 7 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: magicjenna

Thanks guys, I feel better now.  I really want to get married on the beach so I am looking at a couple of places in New Rochelle and I would love someplace in the Hamptons but it is so far.  Most of my family is in Queens and North Jersey. 

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) - ee cummings

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: BrianKsGirl

That sounds beautiful!! My reception is in Queens.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: BrianKsGirl

We did the same thing...He asked my parents in January, since we were going to use the stone from my grandmothers wedding ring, I gave him that ring in February (when I showed him the settings that I liked)....we started looking at receptions sites in March.  Got offically engaged in April.

Good luck, happy planning & happy wedding day

jedigurl Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: BrianKsGirl

I had my venue booked before the engagement!  We're happy as clams!

You gotta do what you gotta do.  We weren't ready to announce our engagement, but we knew.  So we picked a date (7-7-7) anmd a venue long before the proposal.  No bad mojo here!

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 7:55 PM Go to message in response to: jedigurl

If you're getting married next June, I would definitely book as soon as you can.  

-Ness 

And when you say forever can't you see you've already captured me. - Mae

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:06 PM Go to message in response to: BrianKsGirl

A ring does not make you engaged. Your commitment to marry each other does. He already has "proposed," and you've accepted. Besides, do you really believe in "luck," as in you're going to jinx yourself? If not, then move ahead with your planning.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: magicjenna

I think bad luck/good luck is all in the eye of the beholder. So if you dont believe in that sort of thing generally, than dont base your decisions on it. If you pretty much are in the planning stages in your head and you are fully decided that youre definately getting engaged, then I see no reason not to go ahead and book something. I actually had a similar situation ... and also booked my venue about 2months before we officially announced our engagement. I just sort of kept it quiet, but wanted to book it so I didnt lose the venue or the wedding date. So go for it.

My wedding was on Long Island and I HIGHLY recommend my venue, so if youre interested, let me know.

Kelley Lynn:)

SoonToBeAWard Posts : 280 Registered: 5/22/06
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 7:42 AM Go to message in response to: BrianKsGirl

Absolutely not! My ring was picked out last January, my FH spoke to my dad last April, and we officially got engaged last October. In that time, we checked out a few venues - we are having our reception at a restaurant so we went to different places for dinner or lunch to try the food, check out the wine list and get an idea of the service and the whole 'feel' of the place. I was shopping with a friend last March for material and came across some beautiful bridal fabric. I told my FH about it and he told me to go buy if that's what I really wanted. We knew we were getting engaged, and were getting married and it was kind of nice to do some of it before it was 'official' That way, once we were engaged (we didn't want a long engagement if we could help it) we booked our venue, I booked my dressmaker, and got the ball rolling on everything else. Good luck! Lisa x

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine