Mingling

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8
Mingling
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 10:26 AM

My bridal shower was on Saturday and it was fantastic.  I had a great time seeing the ladies who have supported me since I was a wee little one and friends from school who are still around.  But, I think I forgot how to mingle.  There were about 18 women at my party and afterward I realized I spent more time with my girlfriends than I did talking with other guest.

So while my take on the suituation was that I may have been a bit rude.  I spoke with Mom and FMIL and they didn't mention anything.  But now I am worried about how I will do at our wedding.  Shoot, if I have a hard time with 18 people how the heck am I going to handle 160!!!

Do any of you ladies have suggestions on how to "mingle" properly?  I know this may seem like a weird question, but I have never thought I would have a hard time working the room.  Until now.

Any advice would be great.  I know you can't tell me how to mingle, but I'm curious how others are planning to work the room.  I don't want my guest to feel like I do not appreciate their presence at our wedding.

TIA

Re: Mingling
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you happen to be a tad bit on the "shy" side, like I am, mingling CAN be a little tough to master. My suggestion would be to simply make an attempt to speak to EVERYONE at some point. A good time might be as they are all sitting down eating, when you know you won't miss anyone. It doesn't have to be a long conversation ( their food might get cold! Wink ), but simply tell each person/couple how happy you were that they chose to share in this special occasion with you and your husband! The rest should come naturally. You'd be surprised at how much that one small initiative on your part ( to take a moment to speak with each guest individually! ) will impact your guests! Good luck! Laughing

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 11:25 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Its really good that you are aware of this now, because it means you care about your guests and that they have a good time. I think that making the guests feel appreciated, loved, and like they are welcomed at your wedding is one of THe most important parts of the day. People still tell me how welcomed and loved they felt at our wedding, and how it was such a "warm" feeling from the Bride and Groom to the guests. We had 100guests, and we made sure to spend a couple minutes talking with each one of them. With 160, its a bit tougher, but it can be done. A few things we did to make sure of it:

We passed out the favors ourselves during dessert when most people were seated. We seperated and did half hte room each, going around with the basket filled with the Cd music favors we had made ...this way, we could make sure that people didnt take extra, and also see almost everyone just by doing that.

We did our formal pictures before the ceremony, allowing more time to be with guests during reception. We also attended our cocktail hour, and used that as our main "mingling" hour. We were bombarded during that hour with our guests congratulations, photos, hugs, etc. It was great fun, and also made the rest of the reception a bit less frantic since everyone wasnt trying to say hello to us all at once.

We involved our Guests in the evening as much as possible; meaning fun special dances that got people mingling with us and with each other, things like that. It really made certain that we talked to everyone.

The best advice I have received regarding this was from a friend who had just married a month before me. She basically said that at your wedding reception, WHENEVER you have an impulse to go say hello or hug or see someone, Pay attention to it and act on it. Because it might be the only chance you get. The night goes by so fast, and you really do want to make people feel as if it was worth it for them to attend your wedding. Pay special attention to those who traveled far, or whom you dont see often. Make sure you extend a thank you, or a warm hello to them. It will be much appreciated.

Kelley Lynn:)

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My advice-- go around to the tables and say hello to people as early on in the evening as possible.  Long story short, at my reception we were running about 15 minutes behind schedule, so I spent the first part (post dinner) running back and forth to the DJ trying to get everything back on track.  I should have put my mom or MOH in charge.  It seemed like everytime DH and I started making the rounds to the tables, it was time to cut the cake, or do the anniversary dance, or something!  consequently, it was after 10:00 (we served dinner at 8) before we got around to all the tables, and some people had already left, which I feel really bad about.  Fortunately, we did have a receiving line at the church (which is what put us behind schedule in the first place!) so I did get to greet everyone there.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Good suggestions here--I just want to add to them. Some people use receiving lines to greet each guest, but more and more, people are finding them real party-stoppers (long, boring, and awkward).

I totally concur with the suggestion to take pictures first and to try to attend your own cocktail hour--with one exception.Take15-30 minutes after the ceremony to be alone, in private, to talk, cry, kiss, and most of all, to have something to eat and drink--because you may never get another chance LOL!Then come out and mingle with your guests (if you're shy, stay together-if not, work the room). Have yourselves served first at dinner, then, while people are at their tables, circulate through the room and visit each table (160 guests =16 tables x2 minute each = a little over a half hour). Have your photographer come with you and you'll be sure to have at least one pictures of you with everyone at the wedding. Then, get out there and dance. Have a great time.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

NYBridesmaid Posts : 11 Registered: 6/7/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just wanted to add something really random (and possibly not applicable).  The last two weddings I attended were for cousins of mine, and I was in my early teens.  I was seated with other cousins/siblings who were all in the tween-teen age range.  When the bride made the rounds she completely bypassed our table!  That really bothered me, (so much so that I'm posting about it years and years later!).  

In short, when making the rounds, don't forget the kid's (or teens) table! :P

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Great ideas, ladies!!!  I'm taking notes.....

Posted: Jul 16, 2007 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

We are not having a recieving line because we are doing the wedding outdoors at my parents place.  The photographers want to take most of the pictures before the ceremony and we have a anwesome ukalalie band playing the cocktail hour, so we really want to be there.  Hopefully we can do most of the mingling during the cocktail hour and then visit each of the tables.

I would never dream of ignoring the kids!!!  I was stoked that our friends were excited about bringing their kids.  Besides, we have set up an entire area for kids!!!

alyssa Posts : 239 Registered: 11/20/06
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i just saw something not to long ago that sugguested putting all your favors in a basket and then personally delivering them to everyone at the reception, this way you get face time with everyone. and, it's not like you'd have to approach someone cold and try and start a conversation. the favor could be the ice breaker.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine