Riu photographer

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
Riu photographer
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 8:32 AM

After getting some great information on this site I have decided I can have a destination wedding and will be getting married at Riu Ocho Rios in 3/2009. One of my biggest concerns is the photography. I want phenomonal pictures and do not want to have to direct the photographer the entire time to get them. I have heard some bad things from friends that had destination weddings (not in Jamaica). Has anyone yet been married there or seen anyones wedding pics from the Riu.

Becky Kiss

bex1975 Posts : 60 Registered: 1/15/07
Re: Riu photographer
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have some info about the photographer at the Riu if you want to email me...I'll send t to you. I got it from another girl on this board. beckymflagg@yahoo.com

Talk to you soon!

Becky

JAM2007 Posts : 93 Registered: 9/20/06
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know if the Riu allows outside photgraphers but I'm using www.sungoldphoto.com Everything I['ve seen from them is amazing and their based in Jamaica. Most pics I've seen from hotel photographers look very posey and generic. JMO! Also of you like on the knot we have a DW photgraphers bio if you want to take a look. These are all state side photographers that will travel but you can see their work first hand.

http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=DWPhotographers

Posted: Jun 29, 2007 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: JAM2007

The posey photos is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I have previously reviewed Sungolds photos and they are great.

Does anyone know if the Riu allows outside photographers?

Becky Kiss

Posted: Jun 29, 2007 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Riu does NOT allow outside photographers!! The only loop hole is to have your photographer booked as a guest for the minimum stay (3 nights).  Unfortunately, you're looking at quite a pretty penny to go this route. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do. Pay WAY more $$ thann I ever wanted to in order to get the photos I wanted ($1000 room + airfare + the actual photographer fee + cost of photos); or don't pay a lot at all and get decent pictures... it's a toughie! I have emails I can forward you from the Riu photographer if you want, just PM me your email address. They're really not bad, but like you I want PHENOMENAL!!! Let me know what you decide to do, it could help me decide as well!! :-D

Nicole3536 Posts : 26 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: Jun 30, 2007 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: JAM2007

JAM2007-

I know you are getting married at BRB.  We were planning on using the photographer the resort provids, have you heard any reviews of thwir work?  I checked out the photographer you are using, their work looks great.  Do you ahve to pay any extra to bring in an outside photographer to BRB?  Also, if you don't mind, what is the price range of the photographer you are using?

You can also email me at nikita3536@aol.com

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 30, 2007 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: Nicole3536

JAM2007 where are you getting married on the island? I was going to get married at Riu but my photos are one thing I am not willing to compromise on, & I still have enough time to change my mind. I really like sun gold's photos and I would like to use them but I also do not want to completely blow my budget by having them stay at the resort. Is any one else getting married in Ocho Rios not at a resort. I looked at one of the wedding planners there (i think it was tropicalweddings.com) and they looked nice but again the photographers pics on the website were not impressive. I am open to all ideas. I like the idea of the beach or a beach gazebo. Please help!!!!

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Jun 30, 2007 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ladies,  Okay... here is the deal

Michael the photographer... is the only authorized photographer to be used at the Riu. 

The only way you can have another photographer is if he is a personal friend... and then you have to pay a fee for him to be able to set up at the Riu.  They will kick out any other photographers from the Island.. they know them all.  I think that if you communicate with Michael ahead of time of what you are looking for you wont have issues.  I have had tons of brides happy with him...  let me know if i can help.. I have a photographer that is from the US.. that did an awsome job on the private island wedding we did.. and you can see all her work on my site.  under destination weddings.

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

Posted: Jun 30, 2007 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: Nicole3536

I haven't seen or heard anything about their work but just the set package of pictures worries me. I want someone who is free with their work not just counting the pictures so they can leave. I have to pay for day passes for the two photagraphers, it's Paula and her husband. I'll send you their prices through a message.

Posted: Jun 30, 2007 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm getting married at Breezes Runaway Bay. Sungold is not that expensive as compared if you brought someone from stateside. Explore other options as far as resorts go and find out what they allow and don't. If you look in the link I posted above and click on someone of the women's names you can see what kind of pictures you can get with a "real" photographer.

Posted: Jun 30, 2007 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: bex1975

Becky,

My email address is lizz10179@yahoo.com.  Can you send me the contact information for the photographer at RIU Ocho Rios?  I have not been able to get the info from the RIU website or coordinator.  Thanks!!!
Lizz

Posted: Jul 31, 2007 7:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi,

I am new to this forum.  I am getting married at the Riu Ocho Rios in Nov 08 and would like to know if someone could send me information about the photographer (or pictures from your wedding at Riu if possible), and information about the cake.  I am expecting to have at least 30 guests and do not believe that the one-tier cake provided in the package will accomodate my party.  Does anyone know if you can give specifications for the type of cake you would like?

Thank you!

Lita

Posted: Jul 31, 2007 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My email address is: LALITAMARIE@AOL.COM

Thanks!

Lita

Posted: Jul 31, 2007 11:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just returned from my RIU wedding.  Michael the photographer was great.  I was nervous at first and just prayed that my pictures would turn out good.  When we went to review the pictures I was like WOW they look like post cards.  I think he did a great job.  I'll email them to you all if you like.  Laughing  Also do not miss out on the wedding DVD.  Gary was excellent.  I cry everytime I watch the DVD. 

Check out my wedding review: 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147312-i110-k1366256-l8232783-Ocho_Rios_Jamaica.html#8232783

ShireaCool

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Does anyone know if we can hire the videographer without hiring the photographer?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine