"Double-Duty Rings"

Online Users: 1,312 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
"Double-Duty Rings"
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 4:15 PM

I'm considering getting a "double-duty" ring - a really awesome band as an alternative to the traditional engagement ring/wedding band combo.  My question is...when is it appropriate for my fiance' to present it and for me to wear it?  Upon engagement or wedding day?

bridezilla1872 Posts : 4 Registered: 6/25/07
Re: "Double-Duty Rings"
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not sure what's proper, but my first guess would be wedding day, since the ring is a part of that ceremony, and the engagement ring is more of just a gift/announcement.

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My fiance and I picked out our wedding bands together. However, I think maybe you should wait. Something else to loo forward to

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 7:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

i would get it now but that's just me!  this idea goes hand in hand with the thread i posted about men wearing their wedding band prior to the wedding, it is becoming increasingly popular.

do what feels right to you as a couple 

Posted: Jul 9, 2007 7:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I almost did this, because I am active with my hands, have long skinny fingers, and not a fussy person, not all that into jewelry anyway and I have always, for my entire life, loved things that are small and simple.  If I were to have a big engagement ring and wedding band I would feel like I could never wear any other jewelry, I only feel comfortable wearing two simple pieces at a time or one ornate one.  Plus I love filigree, so I originally wanted an ornate filligree band alone with some stones in it.  But then I found by accident an antique very small e-ring that I loved, only .4 combined carats and less than 2 mm wide, so I'm gonna pair that with the tiniest band I can find.  But I digress.  When I looked at ornate wedding bands at my favorite jeweller, it was a little sad because I love them but I only love them by themselves.  ANYWAY:

Do what you want!  I think the traditions about this are silly.  If you want to save it for the ceremony but are irritated by questions--I understand because my guy and I decided we wanted to get married two years before even thinking about rings (again, not fussy)--buy a cheap ring yourself and wear it until then. 

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

audrey hepburn had an engagement ring that was a band of baguette diamonds and then three THIN different bands that she wore seperately for different occassions, no stones

Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i am doing the same thing. I have been wearing the ring since he proposed and I think I will take out the wedding day in the morning so he can put it in my finger again for the ceremony.

lovesaidgirl Posts : 30 Registered: 10/4/07
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

he won't go for a double duty ring, but he knows after the wedding, i'll only wear the band, so the day of the wedding, i'm going to tie a bit of string around my wedding finger, before he puts the real deal on (he's a HUGE fan of count of monte cristo, btw).

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine