Honeymoons??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 42
Honeymoons??
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 8:15 PM

HEY all.!! I know there's a honeymoon section... but I also know that it's not as popular as this one.  I was wondering what everyone is doing or did for their honeymoon!  We were originally thinking Jamaica but we might be looking into Cabo in Mexico.  Does anyone know anything about either places or have any other suggestions??  We don't have a ton of money and we would like to do things instead of lying on the beach all the time.  Maybe we'd lie on the beach half the time or not even.  

So...

Where did or are you planning on going??

How did you like it??

Did you or are you planning on all inclusive?

Monetarily wise would you consider it cheap, average or expensive?

Thanks ladies!!

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: Honeymoons??
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We went to St. Augustine, FL for our honeymoon and had a wonderful time.  Not the kind of honeymoon you are looking for, I know, but for anyone else I thought I would mention it.  We stayed at the Bayfront Marin House (totally romantic), ate some amazing meals, and divided our time between hanging out at the beach at a nearby state park and poking around the cute little shops and historical sites.  The Ripley's Ghost Tour is a must!  :)

Our honeymoon was definitely on the cheaper side because we drove there.  I was sick at the time and couldn't do a big honeymoon so we scaled down instead.  We are going to go on a cruise to the Western Caribbean as soon as I am better for our second honeymoon!  :)

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

The Ripleys ghost tour sounds interesting!! I bet you had a great time, and I love visiting the little shops in new towns especially in the beach towns. I've only been to Florida once, but I loved it while I was there.  I'm sure the cruise will be fun!! 

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We, like newsie did, are driving to Maine for our HM. We live in NH and Maine is only a few hours drive from us. We'll be staying at the Anchorage Inn directly on Long Sands Beach in York. It's beautiful. We've been to Maine in the summer before and love it! There is tons to do, or not do, as the case may be. For the beach bum, there's plenty of sand but there are also a ton of activities to occupy all ages. We plan on doing a whale watch, going to the zoo, the amusement/water park, walking along the Marginal Way (beautiful scenic trail that follows the coastline), and eating a lot of seafood! I think our HM is on the cheaper side, but not ultra cheap, because Maine in the summer is pricey. The whole thing will be around $2500 after food I think (not all inclusive).

Daisypath Pic

152Mailed 80Yes 9No 63???
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Where did or are you planning on going??
We're going to Colorado!!!  We're totally not into the beach thing, and are looking forward to exploring the Rocky Mountains together.  There are so many things to do there!!

How did you like it??
Well, we haven't gone yet, but last summer we were in northern Wyoming/southern Montana and loved it there.  I'm sure Colorado will be even better! 

Did you or are you planning on all inclusive?
There are some places that offer "honeymoon packages" but they're pretty expensive and we feel like the activities included will more hold us back from exploring the places we'd like to go. 

Monetarily wise would you consider it cheap, average or expensive?
Well, we're hoping to do the whole thing for $1500 or less, and I'm sure we won't have a problem with that.  So I guess that might be considered cheaper.  I'm a pretty thrifty traveler and we'll likely find some good deals.

I'd love to hear about what everyone else is doing as well... who else is traveling in the continental US?  It seems like most people go out of the country.  Good luck to everyone for your wedding and honeymoon plans!   

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ooh, LLPtobe, you will have a wonderful time!  I grew up in MA and the Maine coast was only an hour and a half drive so we went there all the time.  If you like lobster you have GOT to go to the Maine Diner.  Take the road that goes through Ogunquit (Route 1?  I can check for you!), go through Wells, and it is right before the Rachel Carson wildlife sanctuary which is before Kennebunk.  Order the Dale Arnold- it is 6 oz. of fresh and warm lobster meat served in a hot dog bun with melted butter poured on it.  OMG... all that wonderful lobster taste, none of the work, and a heck of a better price- it is market priced and the last time I went (Nov. 2006) it was about $15.  Totally worth it, best damn lobster roll ANYWHERE (I hate mayo).  :)  I so miss Maine!

Travsgirl4ever Posts : 206 Registered: 10/22/06
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH and I also don't have a whole lot of money, nor are we beach bums (although the beach every now and then can be fun!), so we have decided to stay at the Channel House Inn (www.channelhouse.com)  on the beautiful Oregon coast! Gosh, I can't wait!!! We are staying in a pretty little suite with a fireplace, our bed parallels a large window and we have a jacuzzi out on our private deck that overlooks the ocean... and whale watching has been known as a common pastime for those soaking up in their jacuzzis!

Here are a couple pictures of our room:

All that is included into our stay besides our room is a gourmet breakfast... and then there are several really nice places to eat within walking distance, or down by the harbor (my grandparents went through this town a couple years back).

No, with the rooms around $280-$320/night, it's not cheap... but besides the cost of our rooms, we have to pay for our dinners and whatever it costs to drive the 3 hours there and back home... so a lot cheaper than most places...

Can't wait to marry my handsome cowboy!  Kiss

June 30, 2007

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 4:54 AM Go to message in response to: Travsgirl4ever

Oh how I would love to go to Hawaii or Italy!!  Or even Ireland or England! 

Sadly, we're not going on a honeymoon...at least not for a month or so after we're married.  No money, and no vacation time.  Ha ha ha.  I'm bummed. 

We'll probably see if we can get a room at some nice resort up in Park City, Utah. 

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

MY dream honeymoon and getway is Italy, since Im Italian and a lot of my family has been there and just raves about it. Ive been dying to go my whole life, but, well ... we cant afford it. So maybe If Im lucky we will get there for an Anniversary sometime.

We went to Cape Cod for our honeymoon during the offseason, it was the first week of November! The great part is that the weather was beautiful. It was in the 70s and high 60s the whole time. My parents have a timeshare in Falmouth on the Cape, so they gave us their week there for our honeymoon. Which made it pretty cheap, actually FREE. It was gorgeous. Frontside was ocean, backside was Bay. Tennis courts, jacuzzi in the room, indoor outdoor pool, and beach. Plus some of the BEST food ever. We ate out almost every night at some great restaurants. We shopped, we walked around a lot, went to small music clubs and pubs, and took daytrips to both Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket. Its really nice going to the Cape in the offseason, because noone is around so there are no lines or crowds anywhere. Its very peaceful. THe only downside is that some stuff is closed, which because sort of the running joke on our honeymoon. Here are a few pics:

jacuzzi in our room

the mile walk in Woods Hole, CapeCod

Eating at Seafood Sams just over the Bourne Bridge. Best onion rings in the world!!!

the beach/road where our Suite was located in Falmouth

Thats it for now. But I love CapeCod, I have a special place for it in my heart, we went there every year as kids for summer vacation. So it was a really nice honeymoon.

Kelley Lynn:)

Fallbride0715 Posts : 174 Registered: 3/22/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

We are going to take a cruise that sails form maragarita island (venezuela), then goes to aruba, curacao, barbados and other islands.

We chose that mainly because of the cost. We had been thinking first to go to Punta Cana, then USA (NY or Las Vegas and California) then Europe... but appart from the wedding we are buying a new aparment and we have to make the kitchen, floors, etc.. so we decided for the cruise.

I want to rest and FH likes to know new places, so the cruise is the best desition for both.

Fallbride

http://www.mywedding.com/anaandarmandoforever

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: Fallbride0715

TravsGirl- Those pictures look amazing! The Oregon coast is so beautiful- I have family there and FH has never been so I think we're going there for our 1st anniversary.

We are going on a Carnival cruise out of Miami for 7 nights to Nasseau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin- I've never been on a cruise but FH has and we love the idea of not having to worry about anything except getting on and off the ship :o) We also have a balcony room, so that's nice too- I don't really know how much it was, but it's peak cruise season so it's probably not cheap- We are also flying (but his grandfather had skymiles to pay for that) and then when we get back to Miami we are staying in a hotel for one night because we couldn't find a flight that day. We're getting excited!! :o)

Daisypath Ticker 

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, our honeymoon depends on whether FH goes on to dental school. If he gets in, we can't go for a while, because his classes will start a few days after the wedding. BUT if he doesnt get in, we are going to a Couples resort in Jamaica. We will be staying at Couples Swept Away, which is in Negril. It is all inclusive and I am VERY excited about it, but if it doesnt happen, thats ok. I would rather have FH in a career that he really truly loves than taking a trip we could take later in life.
Daisypath Ticker

mindykatz Posts : 198 Registered: 5/27/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 10:26 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FutureTweed07: You will LOVE the cruise! At least I hope so! I've been on 3 cruises in the last 5 years and once you cruise, its hard to vacation any other way! FH and I were thinking of honeymoon destinations for fun, and we just kept going back to cruising! Staying in one place for a whole week just doesn't seem nearly as much fun to us anymore - on a cruise you unpack your bags once, and go to 3+ different countries in a week! It's so cool! I know a lot of people think that cruises are boring because you're "stuck" on one ship all the time, but those people have obviously never been on a cruise ship. They are HUGE - you don't feel like you're on a ship at all, until, of course, you go out onto your private balcony or on deck and see beautiful blue water as far as the eye can see. You can watch some pretty amazing storms that are miles and miles away out at sea too. The sunsets are amazing - you can see the exact second the sun dissapeared under the horizon. I'm excited for you just thinking about it!

I was actually on the Princess cruise ship that malfunctioned and almost "tipped" over last year on the Florida coast. And I have to say, even though that experience was pretty d$#m scary, I would still not hesitate at all to go on another cruise, or even cruise on that same ship! I just LOVE cruising!

mindykatz Posts : 198 Registered: 5/27/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FutureMrsWilwert: I know a lot of people LOVE Jamaica, but I had a bad experience there, and since you're asking for opinions, I thought I'd warn you abotu one of the most important things you'll need to know if you go there (and anyone else for that matter)

Not that you would, but...DONT BUY MARIJUANA IN JAMAICA. In Jamaica, it is LEGAL to sell pot, but ILLEGAL to buy and use it (messed up, I know). The drug dealers actually work with the Jamaican police force by selling weed to tourists, then giving a description of the person to the police, who will then search you out, arrest you, and make you pay a hefty fine to get out of Jamaican jail. They single out tourists because tourists generally have a lot more money than the natives, so they can pay the fines.

We stopped in Jamaica on a cruise, and my brother actually got strip searched at the entrance to the dock when he tried to get back in the ship. Apparently a drug dealer sold to a tall, blonde, young American. Well..my brother is tall, blonde, young, and American, so the police grabbed him. My brother also said that as they were strip searching him, they were saying things like, "Do you like that? If we don't find anything on you, we'll search your girlfriend, and she'll REALLY like it". Needless to say, they didn't find anything on him, but they didn't apologize either. My brother didn't talk to anyone for a good 8-10 hours after that, he was really shaken up. Obviously this doesnt happen to everyone, but it does happen. What a horrible thing to have happen to my brother on our vacation. I will not go back to Jamaica again. I did not exaggerate any of what I said at all - its really what happened, unfortunately, becuase I was REALLY looking forward to going to Jamaica.

Of course this is one personal experience, and I don't know how often it occurs, but Jamaica overall just gave me a really bad feeling. You have to watch your back, and there are children begging in the streets. You will also see old men without arms or legs, because they actually sell their bodyparts on the black market for money, they are so poor.

But like I said, a lot of people I know absolutely adore Jamaica....I just don't. My favorite Carribean island is Grand Cayman. It is gorgeous, clean, and much safer in general.

good luck planning your honeymoon, and have fun!

BritSig64 Posts : 24 Registered: 1/24/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FutureEA -

I am going to CO as well - Well that is where my FH and I are originally from - we both are going to school in Texas right now, but the wedding is in CO - as well as our honeymoon!

We decided what was the point of spening a pocket load of cash on plane tickets to fly somewhere, when we have the Rockies in our back yard?! - So we are going to Estes Park to stay at a B&B - the rooms are incredible!

http://esteswildwoodinn.com/One%20bedroom%20Sundance.htm

Where exactly are you staying?....I think you will love the Rockies! They are just amazing :)

My FH and I get a second honeymoon in November to the carribean - his older sister is getting married there!

..............Almost a MRS!!!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine