Unique Favors (Seriously)?

Online Users: 1,240 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 146

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: Unique Favors (Seriously)?
Posted: May 19, 2007 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, my idea isn't terribly unique, but it does incorporate an old family recipe.  My gram is known for making these candy mints-- made of cream cheese, flavoring, powdered sugar, and depending on the flavor, food coloring.  She always makes them for people's weddings, usually one plate per table, and people never know if they're supposed to eat them or not!

So we bought some pretty favor boxes (Ivory box with a black ribbon that goes around it and a monogram sticker seal-- can't remember how much they were, but they were cheap!) and we're going to put 4 candies in each one.  It will be special, because it's our family recipe, and i have yet to come across someone who didn't LOVE these candies, so hopefully people will eat them!  (If not, more for me and FH!!! LOL)

Posted: May 24, 2007 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My fiance and I are placing a single shoot of bamboo in a votive holder with small polished stones as our favors. I wanted something that people could take home with them that would last. It's a fun way for people to remember our wedding.

Posted: Jun 20, 2007 10:50 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow!  I can't believe all the vendors that posted on this thread!!!

CoolJANINECool

Posted: Jun 20, 2007 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ha!  I know!  Some I thought were genuine in just sharing about their websites....but my personal favorites are the ones that act like they are just a bride posting about how great a particular site is! 

OnigiriArmy Posts : 168 Registered: 6/7/07
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Especially the one that was bashing the other girl's flower idea. (;

Posted: Jun 23, 2007 2:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Our first date was at a chinese restaurant. So, I saw some pictures other brides did of using a small take-out box, putting a couple fortune cookies in, and wrapping with a ribbon.

I was thinking of getting these chopsticks I found a while back that have little Maneki Neko (lucky cats) scattered on them. Maneki Neko are little lucky Japanese cats, usually calico, that you'll see as figurines in shops and what not, supposed to bring luck and fortune. I'm not completely familiar, but, that's the idea behind them. My grandpa whom passed away a few years ago, gave me a calico cat from his farm for my 16th birthday. She's the center of my universe, I absolutely love her and she's the only "thing" I have to remember him by, other than memory. She brings a lot of happiness and joy to me and it really meant a lot to me when he gave her to me. I still have her, just as rambunctious as ever, hehe. He was also stationed in Okinawa for a while before I was born, so he used to tell me stories of his time there, what saw and stuff. So, thought maybe those would be nice to give as favors; something relating to our first date and to my late grandpa that meant so much to me and left me a little, furry, lucky fortune to cuddle, :).

Do you think that would be OK for favors? It seems like everyone's getting expensive truffles and I want fortune cookies and chopsticks. I just feel like maybe I'm going TOO different and people won't get it or appreciate it? Does that sound weird? I dunno. I want it to be our wedding, but, I want to make sure everyone enjoys it, too.

Posted: Jun 23, 2007 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: mizcookie14

I found this very "green" wedding favor by accident.  They are different kinds of trees that come in nice packages, that your guests can actuall plant at thier house and watch them grow, with you and your new family!  We are having a very elegant wedding, but I love to support the environment too and love the concept. Check it out!  http://www.evergreenmemories.ca/index.html

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Try www.myweddingfavors.com

This is an awesome website with really good prices!

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are getting married in South Carolina on top of a mountain and our reception is at the golf course club house also on top of the mountain. I too was sick of all the stupid favors that seem so cookie cutter and wanted to get something thoughtful that people would actually use and remember us by. I bought flip flops for everyone from Old Navy ($1.50 each) I bought a bulk order of pashminas in beautiful colors for all the women ($4.00 each) and I bought BBQ and had a special rib rub spice created for all the men ($4.00 each).

In addition to these ideas, my best friend was married last year and they made donations in everyone's name the the Diabetes Foundation (a disease her husband was stricken with). I have another friend who's husband proposed by writing a poem. She made copies, and pasted them in the front cover of journals she gave everyone to write about their own love story. I had another wedding we attended last year where the couple were broke grad students and they had little signs on the back of their table cards that read, "in leui of favors we opted for an open bar". Everyone got a kick out of it.

I say make it personal, make it about you. If he calls you tootsie and you call him sweetie, then give out bags of tootsie rolls and sweethearts. You can never go wrong with thoughtful.

We are getting married in South Carolina on top of a mountain and our reception is at the golf course club house also on top of the mountain. I too was sick of all the stupid favors that seem so cookie cutter and wanted to get something thoughtful that people would actually use and remember us by. I bought flip flops for everyone from Old Navy ($1.50 each) I bought a bulk order of pashminas in beautiful colors for all the women ($4.00 each) and I bought BBQ and had a special rib rub spice created for all the men ($4.00 each).

In addition to these ideas, my best friend was married last year and they made donations in everyone's name the the Diabetes Foundation (a disease her husband was stricken with). I have another friend who's husband proposed by writing a poem. She made copies, and pasted them in the front cover of journals she gave everyone to write about their own love story. I had another wedding we attended last year where the couple were broke grad students and they had little signs on the back of their table cards that read, "in leui of favors we opted for an open bar". Everyone got a kick out of it.

I say make it personal, make it about you. If he calls you tootsie and you call him sweetie, then give out bags of tootsie rolls and sweethearts. You can never go wrong with thoughtful.

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06

Depending on how much time you have, sorry I didn't look at your bio, you could do something like what we are doing. I have plenty of time for my wedding, so I am buying little boxes at michael's and ac moore. I am decorating hte boxes and in the boxes we are going to put a sports scratch off (for my FH) and a bookmark (for me). I thought it was unique, and if they don't want the box then I can keep it for miscellaneaous stuff. I have been buying hte boxes when they are onsale, so a $3 box is costing me $.50-$1.

Good Luck with your search!

JAllen Posts : 793 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: storm0075

I don't think this is very unique, but I was watching bridezilla lastnight, and the girl is making Tiffany blue boxes with hershey's kisses inside.  Ten they are going to label them "A hand full of kisses from the Mr. and Mrs."  I thought that was a really cute idea, and I think we are going to do that!  We are going to get the teal boxes as well as chocolate brown, those are our colors.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi I had the same problem but then  it hit me that I've been painting on glass for years.  So I decided to make everyone hand-painted wine glasses (grapevine design).  If you know anyone who paints on glasses or maybe you can learn something basics to paint on martini, shot, wine, margarita glasses.  Go check out local craft store sometimes they will have markers or glass paint. You could come up with a signature design just for your wedding. 

AnnieRus Posts : 1 Registered: 6/14/06
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I wanted something unusual too.  Couldn't come up with anything that was inexpensive enough.  I wanted something that symbolized and was important, to the both of us.  We made a donation to the Leukemia society of Iowa.  My mom was diagnosed with Leukemia almost 3 years ago, and is stronger now than she ever was before!  Charities- are a great way to give back for a group that has changed your life- and everyone appreiciates that.  Most favors are left behind anyway, and what can you do with 47 leftover cookie cutters?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine