Dress quality

Online Users: 1,345 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19
Dress quality
Posted: May 23, 2007 2:12 AM

I am just starting to look at dresses and I found one at David's Bridal that I absolutely love! I know that they are a cheaper alternative and I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the quality. I'll only wear it once but I don't want to pay a lower price and have something happen. If you've purchased a dress from them please let me know your feeling on it.

Shannon

Re: Dress quality
Posted: May 23, 2007 4:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I bought my dress at David's Bridal - It's the Galina VW8893.  I had a REALLY hard time finding a dress.  My fiance's one request was that my dress be "not poofy", I wanted to be able to wear a quasi-normal bra (strapless and I DO NOT get along), and I wanted the little fabric colored buttons going down the back.  Try finding a dress like that, it's hard as hell!!!  I finally found it at David's Bridal.  It's a heavy dress made very well.  I wouldn't have bought it if it was poor quality.  I tried on a lot of their dresses and thought they were all fine.  I live in Staten Island, did a lot of my dress shopping in NYC and New Jersey.  I've seen HIGH HIGH END and then what I call "the normals".  David's Bridal falls in "the normals".  If it's the dress you want and you FEEL good in it, then get it!!!  I'm thrilled with mine! 

Lauren

KMAC11 Posts : 138 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: May 23, 2007 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am going to have to agree with the above comment about, if it is the dress you love, go for it.  As for quality, I am not really sure.  I've only been to DB once, and had a terrible experience.  I think it had more to do with my sales person though.  I ended up finding a gown for almost 1/2 off the original price by just calling around.  There's a thread here called "David's Bridal Sucks"  I would read through it.  Whatever you do, DON'T settle.  If this is the "ONE", then you must buy it.   Good Luck!

** K **

MrsMinor4EnE Posts : 255 Registered: 4/7/07
Posted: May 23, 2007 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I bought my dress at DB and I love it! The quality is good I have no complaints at all! My friend also bought her dress there it is in such good condition she told me if i didnt already have my dress I could of worn hers cause it looks brand new! So I would say go for it! when you try it on you will see the quality! I love my dress!!

MrsMinor2b

Sept 22 2007

Samala Posts : 561 Registered: 12/19/06
Posted: May 23, 2007 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

OKay, I am going to be the negative one. lol

My original wedding dress was bought from davids... and it was horrible quality. The sequins and pearls were shedding when I walked. There was loose threads everywhere. It was covered in lace soutash and EVERY end of the soutash was fraying and coming loose. DB returned it no arguments.

I personaly think DB used some whacked out proportions on their gowns. I tried on corsette and defined waist gowns there and they made me look GIAGANTIC. I tried on the same style dresses at another shop and I looked amazing in all the styles like that. I think DB messes with where the waist line hits and drops it too far.

But, then again, their NON soutash dresses in satin with embroidery are usualy of decent quality. Just be cautious of the beading on the dresses. Make sure if you do order something with beading that you check it over carefully.

Also, DB is also known to not actualy "order" your dress. Often times they just get dresses transfered from store to store. So even if they order it make sure to check it over carefully for wear, holes, and stains.

.:Samala:.

Can't wait till September 15, 2007!

Samala Posts : 561 Registered: 12/19/06
Posted: May 23, 2007 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Samala

Oh, incidentaly, I paid about $30 more for my "couture" (well not realy but higher end) dress than what I paid for my ON SALE DB dress. So don't let price be the deciding factor. 

Do you have a pic of the dress you want that you could post?

.:Samala:.

Can't wait till September 15, 2007!

Posted: May 23, 2007 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: Samala

I am with Samala, but that is my own personal preference. I did not feel that DB had quality gowns... I didn't like the material, the stitching, the finishing, etc. But like I said.... my personal prefererence. It really depends on what your definition/perception of "quality" is.

Just from personal experience though, I have had two friends buy DB gowns, both of their zippers broke during the wedding... I brought thread to the second one just in case, and we sewed her closed between the ceremony and reception.

HOWEVER, if it is "the" dress, I wouldn't let that discourage you. I have seen other dresses, even designer dresses, have similar mishaps if not altered correctly. If you tried the dress on and liked the material, then I wouldn't let that weigh too heavily on your concern. I just so happen to be picky about material... It also depends on the gown you're interested in. Do you have pics? 

Really, it's your decision. If you've gone other places and have decided that this dress is THE dress, then by all means don't let anything stand in your way!!! But if you haven't scouted the designers that are out there yet, I'd consider doing that first... if anything, just for the "fun" of it :)

alyssa Posts : 239 Registered: 11/20/06
Posted: May 23, 2007 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i have a db dress and i love it. the only thing i've noticed about it is that the hook and eye clasps are pretty shoddily sewn on. most of them are loose, but luckily that is an easy fix. other than that, i have no complaints.

allymo23 Posts : 441 Registered: 9/14/06
Posted: May 23, 2007 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have to agree with JamiesBabydoll and Samala about the quality, but if you love the dress, i say go for it cuz you are only wearing it for one day, so if the quality isn't perfect, it really wont matter. But go try on other dresses at other stores too, cuz you never know what you might find!

Ally :)

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 23, 2007 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: allymo23

It's totally up to you, but I had the same feelings as ally, samala and jamies babydoll, and ended up buying my second dress, and the one I wore, from a local shop.  It was only a couple hundred more but just looked and felt and fit like it was made WAY
 better than the first.  However, if it's truly the ONE, then get it...

LadyBugBride Posts : 533 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: May 24, 2007 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I had a DB dress and loved it. I saw it on the cover of their catelog at the first bridal show I went to and it was the first dress I tried on (even though I waited over a yesr to buy it. For a "one time use" dress, I thought the quality was excellent. The seam allowances weren't finished, but I really wouldn't expect them to be. The entire bodice of my dress was covered in rhinestones, pearls, and sequins, and none of them were loose. And the $249 price tag (I finally bought it when they discontinued it) couln't be beat.

Daisypath Ticker

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 24, 2007 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Personally, I think if a lower price is what you are after, there are many other dress designers (like Allure Bridals) that have better quality gowns with a low price like DB's.  I looked at an Allure dress that had a LOT of detail and was $1200.  It was well made.  I fell in love with a MUCH better quality gown (as well as a higher price) that I decided to go with.  I personally am not a big fan of the cheap DB dresses.  Do you really want a dress that so many people already have?

Posted: May 24, 2007 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well thank you all for your information! I did go to DB and found MY dress! It's not the one that I was originally looking at but the one that I found I absolutely love. I can't figure out how to get the picture on here because it won't let me copy the pic from the website but it's style # T8584 if you want to check it out. Again, thanks for your input Laughing

Shannon

null

MrsMinor4EnE Posts : 255 Registered: 4/7/07
Posted: May 25, 2007 9:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Good pick shannon This is the dress that I bought and the qaulity is good and its amazing!!! You will love it and when it comes in you will be so excited! I know I was!!

MrsMinor2b

sept 22 2007

Posted: May 25, 2007 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMinor4EnE

You have the same dress that I do??? Wow. I did absolutely love it when I put it on and I am happy with the quality.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine