Getting through customs...

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10
Getting through customs...
Posted: May 20, 2007 1:43 PM

Anyone else worried about what and how much to bring with you for fear of being taxed in customs? What are you attempting to bring and how much of it?

I've decided to make all of my favors from stuff I buy on the island, but I am having a bit of a spat with the florist and am going to try to bring in a few plants of my own and make the bouquets from flowers on the island as well. It may sound cheap, but I am sick of prices tripling when vendors hear the word "wedding" Cool

Jenna & Brian February, 29, 2008

Re: Getting through customs...
Posted: May 20, 2007 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just came back from getting married in Mexico, I brought everything(favors, welcome bag stuff etc...) with me in our luggage. We had no problems at all! Best Wishes to you!

~Chantal

Posted: May 20, 2007 10:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Really?

I wonder if Mexico is more relaxed than Jamaica, because I've heard it is very easy to get taxed when trying to bring stuff into the country. I hope I have the same luck as you!

Jenna & Brian February, 29, 2008

Message was edited by LeapYearBride on May 21, 2007 2:31 PM

Posted: May 21, 2007 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Chantal, Did you state that you had brought goods with you?  Everytime I have ever traveled internationally I have always been asked to state the amount ($) of goods I have traveled with ( you know on a form either in the airport or on the plane).  We are bringing everything with us b/c I didn't want the hassel of having to make sure I shop for the OOT bags before my guests start arriving.  I was just gonna pack a huge suitcase with all the OOT and favor stuff.  Should I state that I have it or just try to get by?  What did you do? 

Posted: May 22, 2007 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

so you guys are getting married in jamaica? where? i was going to do the leap year thing to once i noticed it was a leap year...but our travel dates dont really work out.... i'd be leaving the day after our wedding...

Nicole3536 Posts : 26 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: May 23, 2007 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am wondering the same thing.  We are getting married in Jamaica in February and aren't sure what we are going to do with the welcome bag stuff.  We are going to divide it up between us and our parents if needed, but that is such a pain.  Please let me know what you find out, or if any bride has brought in a bunch of stuff to Jamaica let us know.  We also thought about mailing a big box of stuff to the resort, but have heard horror stories about it taking forever to get there and having to go through customs as well.  My finance thinks if you say it is for our wedding they won't do anything, but I am still really worried. 

Posted: May 24, 2007 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: Nicole3536

I too am getting in Jamaica and have heard horror stories about customs... my travel agent suggested just packing everything in with our luggage and having an offical travel list with us... basically a list she generates that lists all the people who are traveling to Jamaica to be with us - she thought that if we only had enough stuff for the people on the list it would be okay.  I'm planning to try this - and pray that it works! 

Posted: May 25, 2007 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Ladies,

Our wedding is in July in Jamaica.  I'm going to bring all of our stuff down with us, probably in a suitcase.  I'm going to make sure I bring the receits (sp?) for everything, as well as a guest list.  After we get back I'll make sure to post and let you all know how it went and give any tips I can.

Good luck and Have fun!

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: May 26, 2007 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know its a problem.. and its because alot of people buy too much or lie about what they spend.  I think that Ms. FutureMrs.Gregory.. has got the idea.. bring only a certain amount.. find out how much that is and the receipts.. i dont think you should have an issue there.

Remember dont make this inconvenient to your guests.. they have to bring things back.  make them small and simple gifts.  I still think going to the market one day in Jamaica.. getting all local gifts is an awsome idea.. they wont forget it and ties in to the wedding.., and no bringing anything... and overweight bags and hassle of carrying it all.  Just a thought!

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

Nicole3536 Posts : 26 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: May 30, 2007 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FutureMrsGregor:

That would be so great if you can let us know how it goes. I am sure a lot of us are interested in finding out how it goes and what to expect.  My FH keeps telling me it won't be a problem, but it would be nice to be sure and not be so worried.  TIA!

Posted: Jun 2, 2007 5:40 AM Go to message in response to: Nicole3536

I am going through the same thing. We are getting married in June of 2008. I went to discountmugs.com and dound these personalized mugs that I wanted to give to our guests. Our family doesn't live in the area we live so we don't have anyone that could pack all of our extras into their suitcases. I am sure that if we purchase everything over there that it will be much more expensive as well.

Any ideas?

Dazed and Confused, but eager, Bride Kiss
Countdown to our Marital Bliss in Ocho Rios, Jamaica June 14, 2008...
Daisypath PicDaisypath Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine