Wedding Gifts??? I don't want to be TACKY!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
Wedding Gifts??? I don't want to be TACKY!!
Posted: May 18, 2007 7:38 PM

Hello Everyone,Today we received our first wedding gift and didn't want to open it until the wedding came (less then 2 months away).  But then I start thinking, whoever sent it might wonder why they haven't received a thank you note yet.  My question is should we open gifts as they come in and send thank you notes or wait until after the wedding? Also, the Thank you notes we ordered already say Mr. & Mrs. on them. Is it bad to use those for thank you notes before we are married?   HELP.. I don't want to be TACKY!

Daisypath PicDaisypath Ticker

♥Liss

allymo23 Posts : 441 Registered: 9/14/06
Re: Wedding Gifts??? I don't want to be TACKY!!
Posted: May 18, 2007 7:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hmmm...well i think we are going to open gifts as they come and send thank yous right away, for the reason you described. As for the Mr. & Mrs. thank you cards, i honestly dont think it would be a big deal to use them. youre getting married in less than 2 months, so i think it would be fine. 

Ally

I can't believe I'm marrying my Best FriendKiss

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 18, 2007 8:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Actually, you should open your gifts and send out notes ASAP. First of all, people want to know their gift has been received. If something is wrong (e.g. something broken), there may be only a certain window of time during which to collect insurance. Also, if you wait to write all of your notes, you'll just have a chore hanging over your heads dring and after the honeymoon--a little at a time is much less painful. I wouldn't worry about using the notes you ordered, but if you feel funny, get some plain white ones--it's the thought inside that counts!

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

magicjenna Posts : 363 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: May 18, 2007 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I got my first wedding gifts yesterday also it was so exciting.

I believe you are supposed to open them right away (I did) but my mom said not to use the thank yous that match the invitations yet and those we wait to use until after the wedding.

That means you and I have to go out and pick up some thank you cardsSmile

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 18, 2007 10:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Dear F13,

I'll tell you the exact perfect etiquette response:

You are not entitled to the Mrs name until you are married. Thus, you cannot send out notes with the Mr and Mrs enscription.

On the other hand, you do want to respond promptly. Responding as you go means you won't have a giant job hanging over your head when you get back. People will know their gift has been received, and can toss out the UPS receipt. If anything arrives broken, then the giver can settle promptly with any insurance.

The etiquette-correct answer would be to have either plain notes or maiden-name printed notes for those gifts received before the wedding.

Another more practical option would be to phone or e-mail the person telling them the gift was received, then write a note on the Mr and Mrs paper. Save all the Mr and Mrs notes to drop in the mail the day after you get married.

MiJoMy Posts : 245 Registered: 2/15/07
Posted: May 18, 2007 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Everything I have ever read says you send out Thank Yous for pre-gifts as soon as you get the gift, Think of it this way, they knew you were going to get it early, nothing takes two months to come in the mail.

But yea, sign with your own last names.

beachbumsteph Posts : 74 Registered: 5/15/07
Posted: May 18, 2007 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: MiJoMy

ooh what was the gift??? thats awesome.yeah u should thankthem now instead of waitin.

cant wait 4 08 to marry my eddie!

Stephanie

Posted: May 19, 2007 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree that you should send out the thank you cards as soon as you receive the gift.  Your guests will appreciate knowing you've received their gift, and you're going to want to open the gifts and check to make sure that everything's okay.  I've been opening my shower gifts and sending thank you cards as they come in the mail, and people have appreciated it and it does cut down on writing thank yous later!  About your "Mr. and Mrs." thank yous- I say to do whatever you want.  Yes, you technically should wait until after your wedding, but I really don't think that anyone will care too much.  I've received some letters/invitations to "Mr. and Mrs." over the past year that we've been engaged, I think some people find it charming or something.  At least don't worry about your close family and friends judging you, I doubt that they would alert the etiquette police! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine