Where to wear engagement ring?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 50
Re: Where to wear engagement ring?
Posted: May 4, 2006 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i have no lcue what I am going to do with mine. However, if it doesnt fit on your right hand or if you just do not want to wear the ering during the ceremony. Have a mom or dad hold it during the ceremony and give it to you afterwards. this way you know it will be safe. I think it is kind of cute for the dad to hold it.

Posted: May 4, 2006 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: aviatrix

Hey, I'm a size 3 too!  Had to special order the rings :P

Anyway, just because it won't fit on the right hand doesnt mean you have to wear it on the left.  You could have someone hold it for you, or even have it with your wedding ring, and have both sliped on together, sinse they will be together from now on anyway.

Posted: May 7, 2006 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

This is one of those "whatever you want to do" type of things.  I think I will leave my ering on, then switch them after the ceremony is over.  Or not even switch them and leave the wedding band on the outside.  I am undecided yet whether I will a ring on my right hand- it is blue star sapphire ring that my parents gave to me when I graduated from high school, kind of a family tradition.  Plus, blue!

Megan

Posted: Jun 16, 2006 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The whole purpose to switching the ring to the right hand before the ceremony is like someone said earlier because your wedding band is supposed to be the one closest to your heart. I don't know about anyone else, but once my FH puts that band on my hand it is not coming off for anything, so I don't want to have to take it off 15 minutes after he gave it to me to switch my rings. If you have to, put your e-ring on your pinky finger of either hand just before you exchange rings. I guess I am wicked sentimental, but taking the ring off that my husband just gave me seems wrong or disrespectful somehow.

At Last
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Jun 17, 2006 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

for my wedding i wore my e-ring on my left hand and hubby slipped w-band on my left hand.  after the ceremony i fliped them around so w-band was closer to my heart.

i wore my great-grandmothers wedding ring on my right hand.

to me it wasn't that big of a deal since it was a quick flip flop not anything to be disrespectful...it is kind of funny since i put my husbands band on up side down so he had to flip it after the ceremony too!

Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

It has been suggested to me that you tie a ribbon around your ering and hang it from your bouquet during the ceremony.  If it won't fit on your right hand, this is another alternative.  That way you still have it with you, and not somebody else, during the ceremony, and you don't have to remove your wedding band to switch them around.

Posted: Aug 12, 2006 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't think it matters either way. If you can't fit your ring onto your right hand, just leave it on your left. You can fix it later. That's what I'm doing. I'm going to leave my ring on my left, he'll put on the band, then after the ceremony I'll switch the band behind my engagement ring. Either way, I don't think it matters unless theres some sort of tradition you want to follow.

Colleen Posts : 71 Registered: 8/11/06
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am a wedding officiant, and also a bride to be here.  It is true that you switch your engagement ring to your right hand for the weddingceremony, after the groom places your wedding band I have groom also replace your engagment ring, so you are a copmplete set going back up the aisle.  Now - the right hand is often larger than the left.  I have remedied this in many ways 1.  I have had the engagement ring and given it to groom after placement of wedding band, groom has carried, or maid of honor has carried it. In all three cases, the engagement ring is placed on brides finger at the wedding ceremony.  I like this because you get to see him place the engagment ring a fond memory of the day he proposed . 

The battle of the sexes will never be decided as there is too much time spent in the enemy's camp.

angelbride Posts : 19 Registered: 6/13/06
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that everyone has some great ideas for what they will be doing with their rings.  I currently wear my on my right hand the promise ring that I received two years before we were engaged.  When we are married, I plan to wear this still on my right hand.  I am not going to wear my engagement ring at all, even after the ceremony.  It will be put in a safe place to be passed down to family in years to come.  I think that the first promise that was made to me in the way of a ring is much more special to our relationship, so I choose to keep that ring on as a reminder of his love for me.  That's just my feeling on the matter!

angelbride

Posted: Aug 13, 2006 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: angelbride

My e-ring will not fit on my right hand either.  What about wearing the e-ring on left hand for ceremony.  Then when FH puts wedding band on, he can take off e-ring, put on band, then put back on e-ring?  I know that sounds like a lot of work for the guys, but seems doable.

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi ladies.  I read the first part of this thread before our wedding on July 8th and was planning on switching my engagement ring to my right hand for the ceremony, as many of you had mentioned. 

However, a few days before the wedding I realized that I hadn't completed my "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue"--specifically, I needed something borrowed!  Luckily my wonderful older sister came to the rescue and let me borrow her anniversary ring, which her husband had given her on their 10th wedding anniversary.  This was very sweet of her, and the ring is very special because they have been very happily married for nearly 16 years now.  Luckily it fit on my right hand (though I think she's about 1/2 size smaller than me, so getting it over the knuckle was tough), so I kept my engagement ring on my left hand for the ceremony and DH put the wedding band over it.  I switched them right after the ceremony when we were waiting for pictures.  I didn't see a big problem with it--in fact, I know a lot of brides who have done it this way for various reasons--and it was very important to me to be able to wear my sister's ring for the big day.

Posted: Nov 6, 2006 11:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I read in a wedding planner i bought that wearing your engagement ring on your left is definately a DONT. I might still do it though. The planner suggested wearing it on your right (mine doesnt fit either) giving it to a brides maid or mother, or it even said leave it at home. Actually i might give mine to my grandma cuz i just remembered we are the same size =) I think you should at least put it on your pinky during the ceremony.

immigrants Posts : 349 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: May 8, 2007 8:10 AM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

If your ring won't fit on your right hand you can put it on your baby finger until you wedding band is put on. The reason for this is because your wedding band is suppose to be on first  ( because it is closer to your heart .) You can put your engagement ring on as soon as your band is on.

MrsJunebug Posts : 333 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: May 8, 2007 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't think there is really a right or wrong way to do this.  Of course I'm one to throw all staunchy ettiquete to the wind if it doesn't suit me!  I guess we're not very traditional in a lot of aspects. . .

I'll probably wear my engagement ring on my left hand during the wedding.  It's a little loose, but the next size down was way too tight.  That said, if the wedding band fits better, I may wear that one on the outside to better secure the ering.  gasp

Emily Post can wear hers however she wants! Tongue out

Travsgirl4ever Posts : 206 Registered: 10/22/06
Posted: May 8, 2007 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I won't be wearing mine before the ceremony... my FH will be taking it two weeks before the wedding to get it cleaned and sawtered (?) with the wedding band. So, they will go on together. I'm not looking foward to giving up my ring, but I know that this will make it as special as possible... and I won't have to give it up after the wedding!

Can't wait to marry my handsome cowboy!  Kiss

June 30, 2007

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine