proposed to w/no ring?

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 50

Isabella Posts : 1 Registered: 1/1/07
Re: proposed to w/no ring?
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

heh...I was proposed to with a ring that an Ex-boyfriend had given me.

He was going to change the center stone from a sapphire to a diamond, but he's somewhat of a procrastinator and couldn't get it done in time for the proposal, and since he was doing it infront of a fair amount of people he needed something. He told me after the proposal that he'll get the stone changed, and I was cool with it.  But 2 days later after thinking about it, I wasn't too cool with it. The ring had meaning behind it, not really tied to the ex but to the loss of a child. And I told him that I would rather keep it as is, even if I never wore it again. Which he understood and said that we'll go out and pick something out. He's going back to school so now it may be a while until I get one

JAllen Posts : 793 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Apr 20, 2007 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Isabella

My FI kinda jumped the gun a few days and ended up telling me he was planning on proposing to me. LOL!!  So he didn't have the ring yet.  He had tried to get a loan to buy me a ring for like $3000 but he was denied.  So he was really disappointed not to have that ring.  But we ended up picking out a ring a couple of days later, and I love it and it cost less then half what he was expecting to pay! lol  I still miss the "down on one knee, surprise proposal" that I had always wanted, but I got the guy so I'm happy.

Posted: Apr 27, 2007 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Normal or not, it doesn't matter! :) The money situation is a big one and a lot of men would prefer to have you pick out a ring you'll love than a ring you'll hate but only wear because he gave it to you. Don't worry - the ring will come when your fiance has the money to buy you the perfect one. I'm still waiting for my ring too;)

Posted: Apr 28, 2007 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I got proposed to without a ring, and didn't get it until about year and half later.  While we kept the first proposal a secret(for many reasons), I was perfectly happy not having a ring.  But when the time did come(AKA, his date to leave for basic was coming up) to pick a ring, he let me me do it and didn't rush me, etc.

Posted: May 1, 2007 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was proposed to without a ring. FH quit his job and moved across the country to be with me. We knew we were getting married in December when we were back home in New England and went ring-shopping, although he hadn't officially proposed yet.  then he officially asked (sortof) in February but he can't afford a ring right now. I know I'm getting a ring eventually, and I wear the promise ring he gave me as a placeholder on my left hand. I look forward to the big sparkly diamond, but I'm not in a rush. I am so appreciative of the sacrifices he made to be here in California with me, I can make the small sacrifice of waiting for him to afford my dream ring without a ridiculous credit card bill! it's about our lifetime together, not about the bling. :)

If you could only see how blue his eyes can be/when he says, when he says he loves me...

hairdogri Posts : 18 Registered: 2/4/07
Posted: May 7, 2007 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH proposed to me without a ring.  He wanted me to have a ring that I love, so he let me pick it out.  Probably would have been cheaper for him to just get me one himself.  lol  He knows my taste in jewelry very well, and I am sure I would have been happy with anything he picked for me, and I did get my ring a few days after he proposed.  It wasn't something that I really planned to do, but I was looking at rings to get an idea of what I might want and found one I fell in love with.

I really don't get the people who say you aren't really engaged if you don't have a ring.

Posted: May 21, 2007 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: hairdogri

I found this a forum a little late, but still thought it was interesting.  I'm 45, been single 12+ years and for the most part happy.  I met a wonderful man and about six months into the relationship he proposed with no ring.  That was five months ago.  I'm a bit non-traditional, however I do want an engagement ring (to my surprise).  I also wanted to give him an engagement ring and after discussing it with, he thought it was a great idea.  We both gave each other ideas of our preferences in color, cut, and style.  It's been almost six months since he proposed. I wanted to give him his on his birthday, which he thought was a wonderful ideal since he was ready to purchase and present mine to me.  I gave him his on his birthday, but mine has yet to be purchased.  I never thought this would bother me so much.  We are both well established in our careers, he actually makes a little more than I do, but he still says he's to strapped for money.  In the mean time he's made several expensive purchases for himself and his grown children.  Now I'm feeling a little strung along and he's wearing the ring I gave him and sacrificed this years vacation for.  Part of me feels petty for feeling this way, part of me is hurt, and a even embarrassed.  He's made no secret that he proposed to me with friends and family and now 6 months later they're telling me it's been too long, they think he's "cheaping" out and it's no longer a priority to him, this is a way of stringing me along until all he has to do is come up with just the band.  I think I want the ring I gave him back until he's back on track and stands up on his promise too.  Am I wrong for feeling like a fool right now because there is no ring after six months, or maybe that he didn't keep his promise.  Confused by it all.

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: May 21, 2007 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

you are not a fool.

i wouldn't take the ring back.  talk to him at let him know that you gave him the ring as a symbol of your love and commitment and you feel slighted after having agreed that you would both have rings and you still don't have yours.

ask him what kind of effort he is making to purchase your ring.  maybe he is making other small sacrafices in order to save the money.

if he is serious about presenting you a ring he will have some sort of time frame that he knows it is going to happen in.

you have nothing to be embarrassed about.  just be sure he knows exactly how you feel before you rush to any conclusions.

i wish you the best! 

Posted: May 23, 2007 12:12 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I too was proposed to with no ring. I'm in a unique situation though. I live in WA State and he lives in Northern NY. He plans to pick one out. I don't get to pick what mine will look like since we are so far away.

Farmwife Smile

Saskia Posts : 4 Registered: 5/29/07
Posted: May 29, 2007 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been engaged for a few weeks short of a year with no ring.  This is mostly cause I don't like wearing rings, and so told FH not to spend the money...

TheFutureMrsGad... Posts : 4 Registered: 1/10/07
Posted: May 30, 2007 7:46 PM Go to message in response to: hairdogri

I agree, I really don't get the people who say you aren't engaged if you don't have a ring! That irks me! We have not formally announced it yet (mainly because my parents have decided to take their sweet time giving my fiance their blessing lol even though we know they will! They're already talking about premarital counseling! lol) and when he {officially} proposed to me last week, he had no ring because it was totally a spur of the moment thing, even though we've talked about it for months now...he said that will come later...along with another surprise...hmmm I wonder when that will be...

Kenzy Posts : 18 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: May 30, 2007 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: TheFutureMrsGad...

I dont see anything wrong with proposing with no ring exspecially if you can get the one u want. I was proposed to with a ring but my FH sold his chrome rims off of his car (that he had only had for 3 weeks) to pay for my ring. When he decided to sell them  he didnt tell me why he was selling them but I thought it was wierd b/c he loved them. But if it wernt for him selling them then I wouldnt have had one either. The only reason he had the money to buy the rims was b/c he got an extra money when he got the loan for his car.

LOnDZ Posts : 57 Registered: 6/10/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 4:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

-

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

FYI:  prior to 1950, more than one third of women did not recieve an engagement ring when they were proposed to.  Then the DeBeers company started to heavily market diamond rings toward potential grooms.  And they became standards.

So while it is probably not the norm to not receive an e-ring, it isn't as "traditional" as we think it is, either.

------------------------------------------------------------

'To the world you may be no one, but to someone you are the world."

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was proposed to with a ring and when he handed it to me I threw on the counter and didnt even look at it for like an hour... he brought it up to me that i got a ring, i didnt even put it on.... i just took it to get sized the next day!

Who cares if you get a ring or not...

The man asked you to be his wife... That should be more exciting than getting anything! 

There is too much emphasis on a diamond or ring in general when there is a proposal... why?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine