engagement ring and wedding ring

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
engagement ring and wedding ring
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 3:05 PM

Is anyone worried about bringing such expensive jewelery on your honeymoons ie. swimming and all?

is anyone ordering two sets of bands like a plain one to take on honeymoon?

NOVEMBER 3, 2007 I will be the happiest woman alive!

He completes me!

Re: engagement ring and wedding ring
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am going to Paris on my honeymoon and I have never been there.  I am a little scared to wear my engagement ring even here in the states.... this is a great question.  Any advice ladies???

Daisypath PicDaisypath Ticker

♥Liss

MermaidBride08 Posts : 554 Registered: 9/26/06
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 5:31 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been wondering something similar myself, only on a day-to-day basis. I'm not really the kind of person who can just settle on one object that I can promise that I will always wear every single day. I have a hard enough time wearing my e-ring all the time, and being as uber tradition-driven, I would feel sorta trapped having to where the same ring everyday. As well as the financial aspect of loosing or damaging a really great ring.

I was thinking of getting a plain band and an eternity band, but I don't know who this could fit into a ceremony? (in my tradition-driven OCD mind, it's not a wedding ring unless it's put on you during the ceremony) Maybe like tape them together so they look like one ring? lol

nicolesybrant Posts : 1,359 Registered: 10/4/06
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 5:37 AM Go to message in response to: MermaidBride08

I am considering stacking two bands with my ring, like one on each side... I am going to have FH put them both on at the same time and then later on i would put them all in order....maybe you could do the same??

Nicole, Future wife to Aaron

May 1st we leave this island, and go back to Minnesota!!!

Our new wedding date... December 29th, 2007!!!

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 6:43 AM Go to message in response to: MermaidBride08

i've had the same thoughts as you Mermaid!  i wonder about wearing the same rings everyday because i usually don't wear much jewelry at all.

my engagement ring is a solitare and my wedding ring is an eternity, i think i'll get a plain band too  just incase i want to wear that for any reason, i don't want to destroy my diamonds.

i like Nicole's idea about using the two rings at the ceremony because like you said it won't feel like a wedding band if it is not at the wedding! 

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 7:38 AM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but my FH encouraged me to call my homeowners insurance broker when he gave me my engagement ring. They advised me to add specific coverage for the engagement & wedding rings (both of them have diamonds in them) because if I didn't , then I'd only be covered if a ring was damaged (not lost or stolen) and I would have the deductible to pay first.  So I added special coverage to replace the rings with the exact same ring from the same jeweler.  Regarding worry about damaging the rings by swimming, I don't think chlorine or sea water should hurt gold or diamonds.  If I were going on a wilderness camping trip for my honeymoon (or just doing heavy gardening at home) then I think I'd try to remember to take the rings off and put them away in a safe place in the house first.  But the way I usually am with jewelry, once it's on, it's on, I don't go around changing my rings or even thinking about whether they "go" with a certain outfit or occasion.  That's just me.
Eve T

sumerbridetobe Posts : 74 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 8:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

NovBride-Yes i was thinking about this the other day. We are going on a cruise for our honeymoon. So we will be doing alot of things especially hiking,swimming, and taking tours. I dont want to leave my ring on the boat. But i dont want to leave them home. I want to wear them!

LynndieHagen Posts : 47 Registered: 10/27/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 1:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have two rings. I bought a plain band when FH found ring he liked and we just purchased a anniversary band today. A plain band for a woman is only about 50 or 60 bucks so I would recommend getting one. I think for the ceromony I am using my diamond ring. Also, rings with diamonds that go completely around the band or have any sort of design can not be resized. Another reason to get a plain band.

Posted: Apr 29, 2007 2:22 AM Go to message in response to: LynndieHagen

I'm not worried about my ring for things like swimming or hiking.  But I wont be bring my ring on my honeymoon.  We'll be backpacking in South America, so our rings would make us targets for theft.  Instead, we are planning on buying local handicraft rings when we get there to use on our trip.  It's actually sort of fun to think about what we might pick out, and since they'll be inexpensive and local it should reduce our chance of being targeted for theft.  I wouldn't expect this to be a huge problem in most developed countries though.

You should definately check with your insurance company about getting your ring insured.  It's not that expensive, and then you won't have to worry as much about your ring.

MermaidBride08 Posts : 554 Registered: 9/26/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yeah, I've heard of insuring the rings. Since I have so much time until my date, I've been reading tons of "to-do" lists and insurance is in most of them. But my reason is more for the fact that while I don't much care about "matching" perse, I care about the "time-and-place" aspect. Like, I really really want a genuine eternity band (the diamonds go all the way around, no sizing strip) and there are several instances where I wouldn't want to wear something so flashy. I already have had this issue with just my promise/e-ring. I bought a plain silver tricetra ring at the Renn Faire last year that I wear when I don't feel like wearing the jewels. It just wouldn't be just as easy for me to do with something as weighty as a wedding ring. I really like nicole's idea of just having them both at the ceremony. I won't feel so weird then lol. 

Posted: May 5, 2007 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: MermaidBride08

My engagement ring is a solitaire emerald cut diamond. My wedding band has 15 channel set baguette and princess cut (alternating) diamonds across the top. I were my rings all the time, never take them off for any reason. I have the plan from the jeweler to cover any damages, and insurance on the rings to replace them if lost or stolen. So my thought is, why have beautiful jewelry if it is going to sit at home in a fireproof safe? Some people say it is because they don't want to loose the ring that was given to them on their wedding day because it has so much sentiment to them. My question is, if it means so much to you, why do you walk around wearing a different ring all the time. I understand wearing a different, low-key ring while on your honeymoon, especially if it makes you a target for theft (if they are going to rob you, it's doubtful they will just snag your rings and run, so leaving the rings at home is not just smart in terms of your rings, but for your own personal safety. I'm with you on that!). I honeymooned in the Riviera Maya, Mexico and DH and I both wore our wedding rings the entire time. We met couples who left their rings in the states, some who left them in the safe at the hotel while they went on excursions, some had them in the safe the entire time they were there (just wore them on the planes). What ever you choose to do works just fine. It's a completely person choice. As for having both rings present at the ceremony, Our rings were placed on a glass dish and were blessed with holy water. Then we placed them on each other's fingers. Once they are blessed, you could have your DH place one ring on each hand (the more elaborate ring on your left hand) or he could place both rings on your left hand for the ceremony and then you could remove one and wear it on your right hand for the remainder of the day (that way you actually recieved and wore that ring on your wedding day). But like I said earlier, I wear both of my rings all the time no matter what I'm doing. The only time I ever took my engagement ring off to do something was before I had it sized and I went fourwheeling.

Posted: May 5, 2007 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was wondering the same thing.  My FH says I should wear it.  I don't get to wear my engagement ring a lot because I am a nurse and I am afraid to get it stuck in the gloves orfall down the sink when I wash my hands.  But, it is nice to see that I am not the only one that feels this way.  Did you all insure your rings?

MrsCase1216 Posts : 158 Registered: 7/12/06
Posted: May 6, 2007 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Having heard so many horror stories about people losing their rings on the honeymoon (a friend of ours lost his $500 band snorkeling the first day of his honeymoon, another's went flying off his hand when he gestured), DH and I went to Kohl's and just bout REALLY cheap (costume) rings to wear on our honeymoon; we left the "real things" at my parent's house, so we didn't worry about them being in our empty apt. for a week, and got them back as soon as we got home.  It worked out very well, and the fake ones cost about $20 total.  Now that we're home though, the only time I don't wear my rings is when I wash my hands or the dishes (they way they're set they get water between the 3 bands and it irritates my finger) and I don't wear it to bed (it's set high and I kept scratching myself or DH with the princess-cut center stone... oops!!).  I don't think it would be the same for me to have an "everyday band" and a "real" band (the ring I wore on my wedding day).

Posted: May 25, 2007 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Friday13thBride, 

I have been to Paris several times (in fact, this is where we got engaged!!), and I would advise against wearing your ring on the metro if you are going to the 18, 19, & 20th districts.  I remember getting on the metro the evening FH gave me the ring, and turning my stone inside my palm and keeping my fist clenched.  If you are staying in the 5, 6, or 7th district, you should be fine.  Good luck out there, and PM me if you have any questions about Paris!  I lived there as a student, and got to know the town really well! ;)

Posted: May 27, 2007 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

What I am going to do on our honeymoon (we're going to Orlando - doing the amusement park thing!) is I am going to get a "fake" ring that is just like my engagement ring, like one of the cheap rings you can get from Target or Claire's or someplace.  I may or may not(haven't decided yet) still wear my wedding band, because it wasn't so expensive, plus I still want to have part of my real set on!  But with a fake ring it would still look like my engagement ring at least.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine