Heirloom Engagement Ring Trouble!

Online Users: 1,370 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

TheeFutureMrsH Posts : 15 Registered: 4/30/07
Heirloom Engagement Ring Trouble!
Posted: May 1, 2007 12:24 AM

ok, so I've been told that the engagement ring my boyfriend/ soon to be fiance has is an heirloom & it was his grandmother's ring.

My only fear is what to do if I completely dislike the ring?? I really don't want to hurt his feelings.

Re: Heirloom Engagement Ring Trouble!
Posted: May 1, 2007 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: TheeFutureMrsH

Wow what an honor to get his grandmother's ring! That is truly a thoughtful and unique thing to have.  Perhaps someday you will get to give it to your grandson to propose with.  Look at the sentiment behind it and choose to love it no matter what because it is a symbol of his love and devotion to you.  My FH picked out my ring all on his own.  It's more different and unique than anything I would have picked out on my own but that is one of the things I love most about it.  It's a symbol of his love and devotion that I get to wear every day. 

I'M MARRYING THE LOVE OF MY LIFE OCTOBER 6, 2007!Smile

Posted: May 4, 2007 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: TheeFutureMrsH

wow. honestly i would have loved to have received something like that. my fiances mother died last year and i would have loved for him to give me her ring so we could keep passing it on but unfortuately his aunt took it. we went together to pick my ring out. so even if its not the most breathtaking thing youve seen, im sure once he presents it to you, youll be able to appreciate it. try not to worry about it. whats more important how the ring looks or the fact that he is giving you an heirloom as a symbol of his devotion?

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: May 4, 2007 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: TheeFutureMrsH

My hunch is you'll like it, you're just worried about something that hasn't happened yet. 

Does he know what kind of rings you like?  If so, hopefully he's taking that into account.

That said, I told my fiance all sorts of things about the ring I'd want, and he disregarded it all.  Yet I still think my ring is the most beautiful thing ever. 

So wait and see. . .

------------------------------------------------------------

"I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." Quote by Rita Rudner

KMAC11 Posts : 138 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: May 7, 2007 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

My FH actually started a tradition by proposing with his mother's diamond.  But to make it personal, he took it to a jeweler and had it re-set into another setting.  It was such an honor.  Sit tight, i'm sure you'll love it.  In reality, it shouldn't really matter what it looks like.  It's the fact that he loves you enough to give you something so important to his family that matters the most.

** K **

MrsJunebug Posts : 333 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: May 10, 2007 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: TheeFutureMrsH

Don't stress until you see it.  It might not be as awful as you are picturing it.  If you absolutely hate it you have options to work with.  You could have the stone put in a new setting.  The wedding band you put with it could also change the look a little.  You could also pick out a nice anniversary ring down the road that is more to your liking.

Posted: May 13, 2007 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: TheeFutureMrsH

My man asked me what cut diamond I liked... I said anything by marquis or pear-shaped. Well wouldn't you know, his mom had a pear-shaped diamond she wanted to give him.. he was always thinking of a new setting.

I was just like you.... worrying... I hate pear-shapes.. Plus my line of work I would worry it would catch on things..

But, after looking at prices of diamonds we decided that it would make more sense to use his mom's diamond. I went online a found a setting I liked... We are having the setting custom made.

I now love the diamond. It's bigger than I wanted (my friends think I'm crazy for that comment) and it's not the shape that I wanted, but after seeing the final product, I would want nothing else.

I'm sure you will be happy in the end..

stop worrying...

Message was edited by lynandvin on May 13, 2007 12:35 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine