CATHOLIC CHURCH!?? plz help!

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 38

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: CATHOLIC CHURCH!?? plz help!
Posted: May 2, 2007 7:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

yes I did read the original post (no need to get snippy) and i read that she doesn't feel she wants to continue her faith in the church. So my point is that if she wants to no longer consider herself a catholic, she can still marry her fh in the catholic church with out her getting confirmed.

Posted: May 2, 2007 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

Nope, doesn't work that way. The priest will ask her what religion she is. If she says Catholic, she have to provide proof of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation. Period. If she lies and tells them some other religion, they'll tell her she needs to get a letter from that church saying she is free to marry. If she tells them she was raised Catholic but considers herself say, an Atheist, well I'm not sure what the priest will say to that. She really needs to call her church and speak to them.

Posted: May 2, 2007 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

P.S.- If you were truly reading all the posts and not skimming, you wouldn't be confusing the original poster with Fallinlovebride. They are two different people in two different situations. Smile

Posted: May 3, 2007 2:12 AM Go to message in response to: Jen415

Hey JEn i can relate to your situation.  Im also marrying a non-Catholic.  We are required by my diocese to take the Pre-Cana class and partake in the Engaged Encounter Weekend.  Like your FH, mine was very much against anything having to do with group discussions, but what I gather from what my priest has told me and what was outlined in this weekend is pretty much the same as what Romantic girl outlined basically the married couple presents topics and you go and discuss them privately with your FH.  Mind you my FH is very private about his feelings and hates any kind of attention brought his way and he had to warm up to the idea of having to go through all this.  Im also getting married in 2008 and Im getting all the classes out of the way this July partly because i have a long distance relationship but also these classes tend to fill up pretty fast depending on where you live. 

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 3, 2007 7:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

why do you feel the need to be so rude? so uncalled for. i am trying to add some important information that both people can use and i trust they are gettign what they need from it whether i say their user names. some of us don't treat this like a college research paper, and frankly i'm kind of proud that i don't have loads of time to take notes on exactly who says what. and i have a feelign there'd be only one or two people on this board if you wanted to ban people who don't have hours to spend on here. Smile

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: May 3, 2007 7:56 AM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

i guess i shouldn't jump in on someone elses thread, i know it does get confusing.

FH and i have been through everything required including confirmations and i don't have a problem baptising a child in the future and letting a child go on in receiving first communion and even confirmation if he or she would choose so. i had to go to all the ccd classes and everything when i was a child and i am not opposed to the learning of the basis of the faith it's just the weekly masses are very ritualistic and i like the more engaging vibe of a non-denominational church as far as sunday mornings.

i still do consider myself catholic any religion can go to a nondenominational church. it's the same thing with out all the sit, stand, kneel -IMO

Posted: May 3, 2007 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

I'm not being rude, I was just pointing out that your information was not correct and you had mixed up the original poster and FallBrideInLove in giving it. That's all. Smile

Exit99 Posts : 173 Registered: 3/31/07
Posted: May 3, 2007 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW...Ladies...lets not get bitter....its just a question.....

ok now that I said that...I am a Catholic, my FH is not.  I am scheduled to get married June 2008...I just talked with the Church and all I have to do is get an ORIGINAL copy of my Baptism, which also includes info from Communion and Confirmation...it will be from the church you were Baptized at....they have all the info....then I had to get my FH's Baptism certificate (just a copy since he is not Catholic).....and if neither of you have been married before its pretty simple......

so then you take a couples counseling retreat....its really nothing....not much about religion at all.....just about Marriage and working things out, with faith in mind....they DO NOT try to push veiws on you....mine is through just a normal couple..not a priest or anything like that.....

Then as the day gets closer you talk with the preist.....

Really its simple

Live Laugh Love...and never stop

britnicarlisi Posts : 43 Registered: 9/21/06
Posted: May 3, 2007 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: Exit99

OKAY! so i have not yet done my confirmation....how long does it take?I want to get married in Oct 08.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;2/st/20081011/e/Till+Our+Wedding%21%21/dt/-3/k/7d58/event.png[/img]<br />[/url]<br />

Posted: May 3, 2007 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: britnicarlisi

You'd have to call your church and ask, britnicarlisi. Most Catholics get Confirmed at age 15 through CCD or a few years younger than that if they went to Catholic school.

britnicarlisi Posts : 43 Registered: 9/21/06
Posted: May 3, 2007 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay...So i went to CCD when i was about 8. I thought that was my first comunion tho...do some places do them both at the same time? How sad... im a proud catholic but i dont even know what to do lol.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;2/st/20081011/e/Till+Our+Wedding%21%21/dt/-3/k/7d58/event.png[/img]<br />[/url]<br />

Posted: May 3, 2007 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: britnicarlisi

Catholic kids who don't go to Catholic school go to CCD from age 7 to age 15. You have your First Communion at around age 8. Apparently your parents stopped sending you to CCD after that? You need to call your church. I know they have classes for adults who haven't been Confirmed but I don't know how long or how much. Good luck!

Posted: May 3, 2007 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: britnicarlisi

Double post. I wish they'd fix the site!

Fallbride0715 Posts : 174 Registered: 3/22/07
Posted: May 3, 2007 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: britnicarlisi

You have to ask to your priest... that depends on the church. In the church that I attend, the confirmation for adults takes two or four month (I don’t remember very well), once a week.

I’m getting married in the church that I attend since I was a child, where my parents live. I’m not confirmed and the priest did not ask me for the confirmation. But, the priest of the church where I go (I moved to another city 5 years ago), asks for the confirmation if you want to get married there.

Fallbride0715

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/ - Glitter Graphics

http://www.mywedding.com/anaandarmandoforever

jojolina Posts : 897 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: May 3, 2007 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: britnicarlisi

you really need to call the church where you attended CCD and find out what sacraments you took part in.  In the church where my children went to CCD they were actually confirmed first and then had first communion...and it was all done by age 7.

www.mywedding.com/lorrieandchris

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine