Fish Bowl Centerpieces!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

Steph8242008 Posts : 56 Registered: 12/27/06
Fish Bowl Centerpieces!
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 9:10 AM

Someone gave me the idea to use fish for my centerpieces since i'm having a beech themed wedding. I was just wondering if anyone has done that or will be for their wedding. I was thinking of using vases and putting some kind of plant on the top. Please post your pics if you have any.

Thanks in advance!!!!

SoInLove987 Posts : 415 Registered: 1/31/07
Re: Fish Bowl Centerpieces!
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

Sorry, I dont have any pics for you but I jsut wanted to tell you that I think that is an awesome idea! Like really awesome! I wanna do it now but I dont think it would match with my wedding.

Check out my myspace page: www.myspace.com/amy0784

Check out my wedding website: www.mywedding.com/amyandwilliam

I dont know how to work the Ticker thing so.....Wedding Date September 8, 2007!!! Cant wait to marry the man of my dreams!!! <3

Posted: Apr 30, 2007 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

Just to warn you I have heard horror stories about using fish as centerpieces. Are your guests mature enough not to throw things in the water, tap on the glass, or knock them over? Even after they have had a few drinks?

Also what are you going to do with the fish after the wedding? One of the best types for not getting really agitated with noise and people are betas but if you do those then you can't even put them all in a big tank in your house after. I know some people assume guests will want to take them home but if they don't you may end up with a bunch of unwanted fish you now have to care for.

Kim

Posted: Apr 30, 2007 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

oops double post.

Message was edited by JJKsBride09 on Apr 30, 2007 2:31 PM

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

Some people think fish are cute; others are horrified by using animals in this way. You know your guests better than we do, so you'll have to decide. Are you ok with a fish trailing a string of poop in your centerpieces? Because it does happen. I can send you some pics of beachy glass centerpieces, including fishbowls, without the live fish, if you'd like to see some.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

babyjane Posts : 28 Registered: 1/12/07
Posted: May 7, 2007 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

If you want something beachy and tropical, why not fill big fishbowls with colored sand (to match your colors,) set little votives in it, and place a few small shells on the sand?  You'd have centerpieces with candles, the colors you want, and something unique.  You could also place your flowers around the base of the fishbowl.  I did this for a client, and it was a huge hit. They'd be no worry about harming the fish, and they could live to swim another day!   Good luck.  Jane

Posted: May 7, 2007 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: babyjane

Thanks babyjane and everyone else for your input. Babyjane did you happen to have any photos of what you made for your client?

Thanks,
Stephanie

babyjane Posts : 28 Registered: 1/12/07
Posted: May 7, 2007 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

I've given the best photos to our web designer, but I'll try to find some I've taken to send to you.  Just email me at suttonj@ahidta.org so I'll have your address. I'll get them for you within a day or so, if that will help. 

Posted: May 20, 2007 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

I am also having a beach themed wedding and will be doing fish bowl centerpieces.  I am going to have 16 tables to decorate.  Instead of doing fish on every table, I am only doing them on 4 or 5.  I have it arranged so the fish will be on tables with kids.  I'm hoping that this will keep them a little bit entertained.  On the other tables, I am going to have candles with sand and shells and other different decorations.  If people are really that immature that they are harming the fish or throwing stuff in the bowls, then I wouldn't think they would be someone I am inviting to my wedding.  I guess I have friends and family that behave themselves.  Hope this helps. 

Posted: May 23, 2007 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

I didn't do this for my wedding, but I'm now helping my cousin plan her wedding and she is using fish in her centerpieces. She is having a black and white wedding in May 2008. She bought vases that are shaped like large Brandy glasses. Very cute. She will have a single black goldfish swimming in each vase and a white waterlily floating in the water. She is putting votives in black holders around the base of the ceterpieces. She isn't going to "release" the fish into the vases until just before cocktail hour starts, to minimize Poop at the bottom of the bowl, then fingers crossed that they don't poop during dinner. But oh well if they do I guess. I mentioned it to her and she didn't care. We have plenty of cousins that will take the fish off her hands. She'll only have about 20 tables.

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: May 23, 2007 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

i do not like the idea of using real fish!  i am a total peta person and i don't believe in using or exploiting animals in any way.  

my mom used fishbowls at her wedding, they were filled with water and inside was a stargazer lily, they were the most talked about decoration everyone loves them.  i will find a picture for you! 

KMAC11 Posts : 138 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: May 23, 2007 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

I like the idea, but there is a lot to consider here.  Poop being one factor.  Another thing to think of is, what if one of the fish dies, and you have a table of guests eating dinner with a belly up fish floating in front of them?  Just a thought.

** K **

Blondieincan Posts : 1 Registered: 12/13/06
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:23 AM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

A fairly expensive (if you are doing a lot of tables) but beautiful plant idea for the fishbowls are bamboo sticks ... round glass under the fishbowls might look nice as well 

Posted: May 24, 2007 7:43 AM Go to message in response to: Blondieincan

These are all great points and lots to take into consideration. Keepum coming!

Posted: May 26, 2007 8:01 AM Go to message in response to: Steph8242008

We are also doing fish bowl centerpieces for our wedding.  We thought it would be appropriate since he proposed at the beach.  I found a business website where you can rent the fish and equipment, but I am only using the pics for ideas.  Here is the link. http://www.partypop.com/Vendors/4120204.htm  Please let me know if you get any great info!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine