Birth Control Question -- the pill

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9
Birth Control Question -- the pill
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 2:52 AM

Does taking it at the same time every day literally mean the same time?  Or is it ok if it sometimes is 10:30 p.m. and other times it's 12:30 a.m. (two hours later)?  I waitress on weekends, and sometimes I'm not able to take my pill at 10:30....

I've never had any spotting b/w periods or anything, so I'm assuming I'm doing ok . . . ? 

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Re: Birth Control Question -- the pill
Posted: Apr 16, 2007 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

i've been taking the pill for 6 years now and you wouldn't believe how many times i forget to take it!  mine continues to be like clock work (every four weeks on a wed in the evening--hate to be so descriptive, but i want u to see how clock work it is), even if i forget to take it at a certain time.  now if you forget to take it on a certain day it might delay ur period by a day or two (if that ever happens DONT ever take two pills at once...it will make u sick--just take them at different times, like one in the morning and the other in the evening).  i hope i helped..

Posted: Apr 16, 2007 11:48 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Ok.  Yes, that definitely helps!  I seem to have forgetful phases where I miss one altogether or take it the next morning.  Like I said though, my periods have stayed on track, and I've never had any spotting ....

Hopefully after we're married my new husband will be able to help me remember, too!  Wink

Posted: Apr 18, 2007 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been on the pill for six months, and I think I took it at exactly the right time for the first two weeks. Sometimes I take it like 12 hours late or skip days, but I don't spot b/w periods. I think that taking it a couple hours late is fine, the doctors just try to scare us.

Hartley Posts : 139 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been on the pill for 8 years now, and I've made a point of being close-ish in time every day by taking it before bed.  Some nights, it's 10:30, some nights, it's 6AM... but 95% of the time, it's 11:30ish.  By having it at a mostly-consistent time, it helps me not forget to take a dose.  (Also, I've never had any problems with any real "scares", if you get my drift.) 

BUT, life happens, and you can't always take it at the same time.  Just be as consistent as you can (say, within a 2hr window).  And, for those odd 6AM bedtimes, lend yourself some peace of mind by having some rubbers and/or spermicide handy for the next few days.

Posted: Apr 24, 2007 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You know what I've done to help me remember? I set one of the alarms on my cell phone to go off at 11:00 pm every night. And even then sometimes I forget to take it, like when I'm really into my homework, even though it's in the desk drawer, right next to me! I don't know if this would help you though, since you waitress. But I'd thought I'd share!

Posted: Apr 28, 2007 3:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

When all sorts of statistics for effectiveness for the pill are thrown out there, you'll find that the highest rate of success in preventing pregnancy - it's 99.something% off the top of my head - is for "perfect use" which, yep, means taking it bang on time every day for the whole time you're using it.  Average use obviously isn't perfect, but you're still quite well protected from pregnancy.

Taking the pill a few hours either side of your designated time shouldn't cause your hormones to go wacky enough to cause spotting, generally you have to worry about that if you completely forget to take a pill. 

I think you're doing just fine.  Nobody is perfect anyway.  :)

tristamichelle Posts : 8 Registered: 4/12/07
Posted: May 2, 2007 5:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

It also depends on the type of pill you are on.  the low-dose ones (i.e. Ortho Tricyclen Low) tend to be more effective if you take them at the exact same time every day.  In fact, with the low dose pills it's recommended that you take it within 2 hrs (i believe) of the same time everyday.  Like my MD told me....just missing one pill can cause enough of a swing in your hormones to make you ovulate.  Don't count on spotting to let  you know whether or not your pill is working.  If you ahve a hard time remembering to take the pill everyday, you may want to look into an option like the Nuvaring.  I use it and I love it....I am also horrible about remembering to take a pill everyday! :)  I also think it's a great idea to involve the hubby in helping you remember....afterall...they share in half the fun! :)

Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I've had to take two pills at once before and was perfectly fine. (went and stayed at the Future inlaws the day I was supposed to start taking the actives again). My doctor told me to try and take at the same exact time everyday, but as long as you're within two hours you should be fine.

Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My future husband can't wait to start a family that he jokinging tries to hide my pills :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine