Wearing Mascara with Contacts

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9
Wearing Mascara with Contacts
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 12:55 PM

Hello! I wear contact lenses and have terrible problems with wearing some makeup like mascara and eyeliner, which make my eyes feel dry and irritated. Can anyone suggest a mascara that won't irritate my eyes?

Re: Wearing Mascara with Contacts
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would suggest a brand that's hypo-allergenic like clinique or almay.  Also make sure it's water proof so it'll stay put... on your eyelid and out of your eyes.

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

Jen415 Posts : 255 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Belle,

I use Maybelline Volum' Express Washable mascara with the curved brush.  I also wear contacts and haven't had any problems with this mascara.  There's a waterproof version too.  My sister likes Mary Kay better, but I've never tried it.

Posted: Apr 19, 2007 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: Jen415

Great, thanks for the advice!

Posted: Apr 19, 2007 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I wear hard contacts - gas permiable.  I don't know if this only goes for hard contacts, BUT NEVER wear waterproof mascara.  I have the same problem.  I won't be wearing either because I would rather go without than have red watery, puffy eyes.  Whenever I have used mascara, the ONLY kind I can wear without doing this is the Non waterproof kind.  This makes me run the risk of having it run.  I don't even own mascara or eyeliner.

April

Jeff and April will be married on April 30th, 2007
Daisypath PicDaisypath Ticker

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2007 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also wear hard contacts-gas permeable. I have never had problems wearing eyeliner or mascara...ok, well maybe the first couple times I put it on. But I wear Clinique, which I believe is waterproof. If you have soft contacts Clinique will also work. My sister has soft ones and she uses Clinique. So, if it isn't obvious yet, I love Clinique makeup and have never had any issues with any of their products irritating my eyes, or the rest of my skin either.

MelissaJuneBride08

http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;21;6/st/20080621/e/I+Marry+My+Prince%21/k/32bb/event.png">>

Hartley Posts : 139 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello, fellow contact-lens-wearers!  I'm a soft lens wearer, and I actually prefer NON-waterproof mascara.  Before writing me off as crazy, though, hear me out!  Smile

Ok, so waterproof mascara sticks to your eyelashes like cement.  This is good, because crying is a distinct possibility, and having mascara that's more-stuck on your lashes reduces the likelihood of anything getting in your eyes.

HOWEVER, if a bit of waterproof mascare DOES get into your eyes, it is not water soluble.  Meaning, a solid chunk will lodge itself somewhere in your eye, and you will be suddenly running for a mirror in extreme discomfort.  Meanwhile, said chunk isn't dissolving, isn't going anywhere until you deal with it.

On the other hand, non-waterproof mascara IS water-soluble.  So, if a chunk gets in your eyes, you only have to put up with it for about 15 seconds until it dissolves.  No running to a mirror, limted discomfort.

It's worth thinking about, riskwise.  Some may prefer a bigger risk with a smaller consequence, others may err to a smaller risk with a much larger consequence.  In the end, it's up to you... but certainly worthy of consideration!  _

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I wear contact lenses and have never had a problem with mascara  irritating my eyes. Some brands of liquid eyeliner itch, but I don't think it has anything to do with contacts. This may be a sensitive skin issue rather than a contact lens issue.

I usually use powder shadow, applied with water and a brush, for eyeliner. It takes a little practice, but the liner stays on and in place all day. Also, you can use lighter colors which gives a softer look, especially under the eyes.

I wear Kiss mascara by blinc, which absolutely does not flake or smear.

Posted: Apr 30, 2007 6:13 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

What about a clear mascara?  I read in a magazine like 10 years ago to use vaseline if you have contacts.  I still do this quite frequently and have never had a problem.  I apply the vaseline with my finger, and follow with a clean brush to spread correctly and eliminate clumps.  It doesn't run and doesn't feel crusty when dry, and if you do cry, well it's not black!  I would have never thought to try it had I not read that magazine article.

MrsMinor4EnE Posts : 255 Registered: 4/7/07
Posted: May 3, 2007 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am a Mary Kay girl! I wear contacts and use mascara almost every day and have no problems. Same goes for the eye liner.

MrsMinor2b

sept 22 2007

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine