Meltdown. Complete, utter, fall-to-pieces meltdown.

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 50
Re: Meltdown. Complete, utter, fall-to-pieces meltdown.
Posted: Apr 21, 2007 1:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

New update!

I phone the US Embassy on Wednesday because I'd had enough of waiting around wondering when I'd hear anything.  So I paid my $15 and chatted to someone.  I asked if they actually received my birth certificate and paperwork, and when I might be likely to hear any more about the application.  I was told I'd hear later that day.  7pm, phone rings, same girl I spoke to saying she hadn't received an answer from whoever was processing my application.  They can't email me, but if I give them a fax number (not mine, I gave them the number for the kindergarten I used to work at) I would definitely hear something on Thursday. 

Nothing on Thursday.

Friday I get woken up by a phone call that consisted of "they have your birth certificate and paperwork, please fax a copy of the info page of your new passport, have a nice day!"  Which didn't answer the question I really wanted answered - what the hell is going on with my application?!  Gyaaaaaargh.

Cue crying and general misery.

Today?  I get a package in the mail that says they're all good to continue processing my application!  With a big list of things I need - and I already have!  And paperwork to fill out and send back to them!

I'm torn between being hugely relieved and absolutely furious that they didn't tell me on the phone that it was on its way, which would have saved me a LOT of stress.

So, yes, things are looking up and if I get everything sent quickly and get my medical out of the way this week.... I can be gone by next month!

New question is... what the hell do you wear to a visa interview?? 

SaucyMrsK Posts : 1,175 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Apr 21, 2007 2:12 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

What to wear to a Visa interview? MMM....

Dress for success baby! Go in with your best job hunting outfit on and show them you mean business. If you look professional you have a better chance of making them believe you are serious and ready for this to be done with! They've been jerking your chain long enough, Go get'em tiger!

Hartley Posts : 139 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 6:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wear something that makes you feel confident and capable.  Definitely business-y, but an all-out-suit might seem like you're trying too hard.  Instead, opt for those black, pleated pants (the ones you feel make your butt look fabulous), some sensible power-heels, and that sweater that you paid WAAAY too much money for, but rationalized buying it with, "But, I can wear this to work, going to a nice dinner, AND to a casual lunch!" 

Top it off with a classy necklace, preferably one with sentimental value.  (For example, I have a small peridot my dad gave me that always makes me feel more confident, like dad's there with me, and it's a lovely touch on an outfit.) 

Best of luck to ya!

Posted: Apr 24, 2007 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: Hartley

Hmm, I'm working on putting an outfit together...  Living in Japan my wardrobe hasn't evolved as much as I would have liked it too.  Pants are too big around the waist/hips if I get the length right, shirts barely reach my hips, and they don't stock shoes in my gigantic size... and I'm a 8 or 9 in shoes, and in clothes I'm a 2 or a 4!  Argh!  I'll work something out with what I've got.

My medical is at 10 tomorrow morning... it'll take nearly two hours, will cost about $350, I need blood tests, and I also need a couple of vaccinations I don't have yet... which costs maybe $100 or more.  The good news is I can get my results at 5 the same day.  So I'll be having lunch with a friend, then I'm going to get my first ever manicure.  Seeing as I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an interview next week, I figure having pretty nails can't hurt!  :P  I might need to relax and sit down after being turned into a human pin cushion at the medical, anyway!  haha

Anyway, that's the latest, and I need to get to bed.  I've got a very early start tomorrow. 

Posted: May 9, 2007 4:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm nearly there... the interview is on Monday, so it's all happening.  They originally told me I could interview on the 4th of June - hell no!  So much begging and pleading and phoning and faxing and tantrum throwing (at home, naturally, not to the embassy staff) occurred, and I got the date changed.

Monday.  Phew.

Really need to make sure everything is packed up and ready to ship, because I should be out of here soon... 

Gothicprincess Posts : 192 Registered: 3/3/07
Posted: May 9, 2007 5:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

yay congrats and good luck for your interview!
YAY NO MORE SLEEPS!! finally in my mans arms again....THE BEST PLACE TO BE

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: May 9, 2007 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ausbride-- FH and I are dealing with a similar situation with US Immigration.  He is from Mexico... came in on a student visa, and is currently using his optional practical training... problem is, that will expire about 2 weeks before the wedding.

I did all the research and printed out the forms and gave them to FH in January.  I told him to fill them out right away, and then when we had our "legal" wedding in March ("real" wedding is in June), we could just send everything then.  Well, of course he didn't start on them till just before the legal wedding, then we found out about the medical exam.  Then we (fortunately) found a volunteer lawyer to go over all out paper work for free... since I am quitting my job to move to live with FH after the "real" wedding, we needed a co sponsor.  So we had my dad fill out a co sponsor form.  Then he didn't provide enough documentation, so he had to send 6 months of paystubs, a letter of proof of employment, copies of tax returns for the last 3 years, and a couple other things, can't remember what!  At any rate, we were supposed to file everything in march, and it didn't get sent until the end of April.  Crossing fingers and hoping it gets processed! (Good thing is that once it's filed, FH can't be deported!  YAY!)

Best of luck to you. I totally understand how much stress all this immigration crap can cause.

And they wonder why so many people come into the U.S. illegally...

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: May 9, 2007 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

One question for you... if for some reason things don't get processed on time... can you go to the US on a tourist visa, have the wedding ceremony (but don't sign the papers, so you're not legally married) then go back to Japan or Australia and wait for the paperwork to go through? (Then go to the US permanently and sign the legal marriage documents)  That way at least your family won't have wasted money on plane tickets, etc.  It's the ceremony that actually matters anyway, right?

Posted: May 10, 2007 12:08 AM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Hmmm that is a thought...  I'm pretty confident that everything will be ok though, barring any unforeseen hurdles.  I'll find out on Monday while at the interview if I'm good to leave for the US.

I have read though that once the visa paperwork is in process, it can be really tough getting through immigration at an airport if you go over on a tourist visa.  They'd know that I have a fiancée visa pending approval and would need proof that I am planning to leave - if my return date is after the wedding (and church and reception bookings have been filed as proof of our relationship and intent) I can see them being very suspicious and sending me straight back.

Fingers crossed.  I want to see my FH! 

Posted: May 11, 2007 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow, I just read through your thread and I thought I was having issues.  You're amazing to be able to keep your wits through all of this.  I hope your interview goes well!!  I'll keep a good thought for you.

Posted: May 15, 2007 5:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

how did the interview go??? 

Posted: May 15, 2007 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

Two thumbs up!  :D  I'm off next Saturday!  :D

The interview itself was so much easier and shorter than I thought it would be that it was almost a let down after we went through so much work to get to it!  hahaha

Posted: May 19, 2007 4:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

YAY so happy for you! congratulations

kiwibride Posts : 329 Registered: 1/23/07
Posted: May 19, 2007 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congratulations! That's so exciting. I'm off to see my FH on Wednesday, but only for the weekend. It must be so wonderful to get to go and STAY with him! Is it today you are going, or next Saturday?

Anyway, good luck, and I'm really excited for you! 

Posted: May 21, 2007 3:00 AM Go to message in response to: kiwibride

Thank you!  Next Saturday, the 26th I'll be leaving Japan, which is kind of sad (I've done a fair bit of crying already!) but I'm so excited to be going!  I really can't wait to see FH!!  :D

I have the mother of all weeks to get through first... it's going to be completely nuts.  Argh! 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine