Catholic Wedding

Online Users: 1,355 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

scatterjoy Posts : 117 Registered: 9/27/06
Catholic Wedding
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 5:16 PM

Does anyone know if there are any "regulations" on the type of wedding dress chosen for a catholic ceremony?  I was wondering if I could wear a strapless dress or if it needed to be more 'modest' and have some type of sleeve?  Thanks.

What lies before us and what lies within us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -ralph waldo emerson

Re: Catholic Wedding
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 5:24 PM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

I'm getting married in a Catholic church that is pretty traditional and I'm wearing a strapless dress.  My suggestion would be that you speak with your church to see if they have any restrictions.  If you are wanting something more modest for the ceremoney maybe you would feel more comfortable if you could wear some sort of shawl and then it take off for the reception?

Exit99 Posts : 173 Registered: 3/31/07
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I dont think that will be a problem...i am planning to wear a strapless dress too...ive also been to many catholic weddings where the bride has worn strapless...

Posted: Apr 13, 2007 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

I'd talk to your the church you getting married in.  I've heard that some Catholic Churches require you to have your shoulders covered.

db2b08 Posts : 12 Registered: 3/14/07
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was a bridesmaid in a Catholic wedding this past summer and the bride wore a strapless dress and did not wear shawl or have anything covering her shoulders. I have also attended a couple other Catholic weddings where the bride wore strapless dresses. I think they prefer that you don't  but will still allow you get to married if you do choose a strapless dress.

2007wxbride Posts : 35 Registered: 7/6/06
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: scatterjoy

Definitely check with the priest performing the cermeony.  My uncle is marrying us, and even though he is fairly young, he is one of the most conservative priests I have met.  I'm not wearing strapless, but if I were I would have had to wear a lace bolero or shawl of some sort.  The other priest in the parish doen't give a rip as long as the bride is "modest."  Most priests don't want to look down a plunging neckline and see huge cleavage, but strapless dresses tend to keep the twins nicely covered.

Posted: Apr 14, 2007 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: 2007wxbride

I was married in a Catholic church. I asked the church if they had any regulations on the dress, they said no (probably differs from parish to parish). I wore a dress that was pretty open in the back, so I was worried about mine, but they didn't care.

my dress

BumblingBride Posts : 146 Registered: 5/19/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

DEFINITELY consult with your specific church/priest--don't assume by the majority on this post! My cousin wore a strapless and had to wear a jacket over it in the church, as did we as bridesmaids (shawls)...and her priest was actually very laid back and friendly (he even gave a funny little speech during the ceremony...and I'm not religious, so if I'M laughing at a priest's joke it's actually pretty funny and not just 'oh haha, a priest acting not totally serious for once, HYSTERICAL!') and even for how he was/the church they were in it wasn't allowed. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine