walking down aisle alone

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
walking down aisle alone
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 12:50 PM

i really have no family, except my grandmother and she's old and not sure if she'll even feel up to going to the wedding.  she's really the only one i would even think of walking me down the aisle.   i don't think i'm going to have anyone do it.  everyone says i have to have someone and say oh so and so will do it.  i don't want someone to do it just because they think it should be done this way.  how do i iget people to leave me alone on this.  all this subject does is upset me because i don't' have anyone, i've been on my own for a long time i'm fine with this.  why can't everyone else be?

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: walking down aisle alone
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Often times when people are trying to genuinely help you, they end up hurting you more instead. Im sorry that people keep bothering you about this. I think that if there Is someone you feel particularly close to, its a good idea to give them this honor. As someone who just got married 4months ago, the ONLY reason I say this is because "the moment" of walking down the aisle, on your wedding day, can be very overwhelming. I can only tell you that I normally dont get nervous, but I was really glad to have someone by my side that day. I was super-emotional and nervous, and it just made it easier to physically walk lol.

If you dont think this would be a problem for you, then what I would suggest is walking halfway down the aisle to your fiance ...then you both walk the rest of the way together. This is often done in more modern weddings and its really beautiful.

When people ask you, you can say "Im walking with my new husband, thanks." :)

Kelley Lynn:)

MsPenni Posts : 151 Registered: 3/12/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Awwwww That is so sweet to want your grandmother to walk with you. But Sweety, let me tell you, whoever you decide to walk with you .... or NOT have anyone is fine too.!

You tell them... Ms. Penni said "It Wont Be You"....lmao

Seriously Though, Giggle it off and say I have no idea yet...its a suprise...Dont worry ya pretty little head about it, thats the least of my worries. I just want you to have a wonderful time. Let me worry about the details, and thanks for caring.

Damm I am a WONDERFUL Actress!...Liar whatever! Lol

Baby dont stress about it, it will be ok, take a deep breath and relax. You'll be beautiful and its your day to marry the Man of your Dreams.

December 31, 2008 Is The Big Day!~

adamscookiemons... Posts : 306 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 3:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that is perfectly fine to walk by yourself!  Especially since you say you have been on your own for a long time....I think it represents that you can take care of yourself!  I think it's great if you have someone you would like to do it, but you shouldn't feel obligated to just find some random person to do it just because it's traditional. 

One of my co-workers told everyone she was having a "really close male friend, who has protected her all his life" walk her.  She showed us pictures later, and it was her dog, a cute little pug dressed in a tux!!!

Posted: Mar 19, 2007 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: adamscookiemons...

you're all so sweet Smile!  i would love for my grammy to do it, i just don't want to get my hopes up and have her not show up.  i think i will be super emotional, but i think i'll be fine on my own.  too bad my kitty doesnt' stand for being outside his element, i love the dog idea.

SoInLove987 Posts : 415 Registered: 1/31/07
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There is nothing wrong with walking down the aisle alone. Its your wedding and your decision and I agree that if you have been on your own for a while then walking down the aisle alone will be more personal. If you do want to walk with someone, do you have a close friend that you have known for a long time? They could do it. Instead of being a groomsman/bridesmaid you can have them walk you. Or, you could walk with your MOH.

Check out my myspace page: www.myspace.com/amy0784

I dont know how to work the Ticker thing so.....Wedding Date September 8, 2007!!! Cant wait to marry the man of my dreams!!! <3

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry your grandma can't walk with you that day, but you have to be sure that walking alone is what you really want. I'm telling you this because I have a friend that walk alone (because her dad past away) & as soon as the doors were open, you could see the sadness in her eyes & the sadness of everybody at the church. Most of the guests had tears in their eyes. I'm just telling you this because a wedding is a very emotional day & maybe you will feel different. Just make sure that is what you want.

Maybe you can do the following, as soon as the doors of the church are apen, your FH can walk from where he is (in front of the church) & walk back to the entrance of the church to walk with you down the isle. He is going to be with you for the rest of your life, so who better than him to walk you down the isle?

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i have the same problem, i do not really have anyone to walk medown the isle. i thought about my mom's boyfriend, since he's the only real thing i have to a father figure, but i thought maybe i should walk alone, but i wasn't sure if that was a good idea. i am really shy and this whole wedding thing has me a little nervous and i thought that if i had someone to walk with me it would take me out of the complete spotlight. i don't want to miss a step or stumble, and have to be alone , everyone would notice. maybe i am just a little paranoid, about being the center of attention. what do y'all think about walking down the isle alone, would you if you could and werer in  a situation where your father was not able. let me know what you think

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine