Reception-drinks being served

Online Users: 1,245 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13
Reception-drinks being served
Posted: Mar 9, 2007 7:07 PM

Ok it's been forever since I've been to a wedding. If you set that there are only a certain drinks that are going to be made is that really a lot cheaper than just an open bar?? Also, I don't like Champagne can anyone suggest a sparkling wine?

Re: Reception-drinks being served
Posted: Mar 9, 2007 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Here's what I plan to do - beer and two cases of wine and a champagne toast (sorry I don't have any suggestions on sparkling wine)  There's a bar in the resturant, so if they want a mixed drink they can go out and buy one.  ????  Hope this helps.

Until Ms. Steik becomes Mrs. Partridge
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Mar 10, 2007 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yeah, sounds good. I was thinking of doing two types of mixed drinks only. I like the though of if there is a bar on the reception site they can go get their own. THANKS!

shortbearbride Posts : 113 Registered: 1/20/07
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 8:16 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are doing only beer wine and soda/pop. We are alloting a certain amount of beer and wine and when that is done... sorry guys it is cash bar. I love my guest dearly but I am not going to deal with drunks or going into debt because people feel the need to drink to have fun at the reception

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Rebeca, I really think that serving certain drinks will definately be good for your pocket. In case of the sparkling wine, have you ever tasted Cyder? Is a fruity sparkling beverage, really soft & nice. or what about creating a special drink with sparkling water?...you cna basically make sparkly any kind of fruit juice, just try to make some combinations with your favorite juices & flavors. For this in specific you can go to www.foodnetwork.com

Posted: Mar 12, 2007 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Beca

We're doing an open bar for only a hour during the cocktail hour and then we're providing only wine on the tables for the rest of the night. If they want a mixed drink or beer, they can pay for it!

adamscookiemons... Posts : 306 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

A sparkling white wine that is pretty good is Spumante.  It's also really affordable (about $8 a bottle).

Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: adamscookiemons...

Thanks for your help!!!!

Posted: Mar 13, 2007 1:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

A great specialty beverage for a wedding is mead (think Greek Gods, Beowulf, Shakespeare, kings, etc.). Mead is a wine fermented from honey and has been around for ever. It was very traditional for weddings all over the world and is even the origin of the term honeymoon. Married couples would drink mead for the first lunar cycle after their wedding, basically laying around together, drinking, and trying to conceive (sounds like fun to me...lol). It is still made on every continent, and on most US states. I used to work for a "meadery" that planned events to meaderies all over to sample and compete (think beer fest or wine tasting), so I'm pretty into it. It's delicious and different and perfect for a wedding. I'm also a big fan of cider: apple, pear and other hard, sparkling juices. They are light and refreshing for a summer wedding, and there may be even be a local company that makes it.

Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow I never heard of it, but it seems like something to look into. I am all about making this event unique and reflect me. I like the thought of there being so much tradition behind the drink. The other non alchoholic beverages might be an idea for the kid, but for me I'd prefer the alchohol. Lol, makes me sound bad. It's just I want to fully enjoy my wedding, and i know both sides of the family enjoy their alchohol. THANK YOU for your input!!

MrsCase1216 Posts : 158 Registered: 7/12/06
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I happen to like Verdi, which runs only about $5 a bottle, but it is the ONLY wine/champagne I have ever liked, so we had that at our wedding.

CapeCodBride08 Posts : 151 Registered: 3/9/07
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 11:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

the venu we are looking at doesn't allow a cash bar, so we have to pre pay for our liqour (i think, or bill later). What I was going to do was offer domestic beers, 2 or 3 different wines, and some mixed drinks. I'll present it as a menu option at the bar so the guests know what to chose from, I like that idea so you avoid the cash bar and you don't go over board with open bar (were people tend to waste money). Also another good idea is to ask whom ever is providing the alcohol if they can credit whatever you don't use back to your bill. 

litlbit Posts : 192 Registered: 1/19/07
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: CapeCodBride08

I think we're gonna have beer and wine available.  Champagne for the toast will be passed on trays (this actually keeps you from opening too many bottles, not everyone drinks it).  If anyone wants anything mixed it'll be cash bar.

Krissy3781 Posts : 279 Registered: 3/21/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: litlbit

I am doing pretty much the same thing as Cape Cod...our reception is at a boat club, they have a lounge that has to be open to other members no matter what, but we will have our own bar.  "Our" bar will be open, but with beer, 3 or so kinds of wine, and a basic selection of liquor - basically your normal fare...vodka, gin, rum, whiskey...etc.  If a guest wants something else they are more than welcome to wander out to the bar.  I can't think of anyone on our guest list who would have a problem with that.

I'm not sure about the champagne toast...I brought it up but the coordinator suggested wine...is that weird?  A lot of my mom's family doesn't even drink so I was thinking of cider or sparkling grape juice for them.

We finalize everything with the club coordinator in two weeks, so I'm just trying to tie up loose ends.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine