Post- Reception Activities

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Emerald928 Posts : 155 Registered: 3/31/06
Post- Reception Activities
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 5:18 PM

Background: The reception site has a minimum food and beverage revenue of $12,300 (twice what we will be spending) for a Saturday evening reception. The day we picked is extremely important, as is the location, which is why I am really not looking into changing either one. If I had a Saturday afternoon reception, the minimum is less than $5,000, but we would have to be off premises by 3:00.

The Question: If we did this (10:30 ceremony, 11:30-2:30ish reception), is there an activity that we could do after? We're not really the bar-hopping type, so I was thinking maybe bowling? I figured those who wanted to would come, and those who didn't could leave and relax. Plus, I'm picturing some really great photo-ops...

"Some find at 18 what others spend their entire lives searching for."

SOinLOVE2008 Posts : 216 Registered: 11/8/06
Re: Post- Reception Activities
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 9:46 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

personally the bowling alley wouldn't be my style but if you think you guests would be into then it's always worth looking in to.  Just remember it will be a cost to them, unless you are planning to rent out the alley.  Is there a place like parent's house, friends house where you could have a get together?  More personal maybe??

nicolesybrant Posts : 1,359 Registered: 10/4/06
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 12:55 AM Go to message in response to: SOinLOVE2008

I actually think the bowling alley is really cute.  We are having a friday night wedding, but lots of people are coming from out of town so the next day, saturday, my mom and sis are taking a bunch of guests to the mall of america (big tourist thing in Mn)... then that night we are hosting a big bonfire.  We thought it would be something laid back where everyone could hang out.  We may grill if we decide to have it start early.  Obviously, your guests will have eaten at your recpetion but maybe another cookout later in the day or a bonfire would be a neat thing for your guests to relax?? We are just doing cheap things like hamburgers and hot dogs froms Sams and some salads... you could do it pretty cheaply i think.  Just a thought! 

Nicole, Future wife to Aaron

Posted: Mar 6, 2007 5:26 AM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

We are doing an "after party" at a clubhouse in a gated community.  Its a lounge type environment where people can dance, relax, eat... I also looked into a pool type environment.  The gated community has a huge pool area, its just not reservable.  Is there a nice pool anywhere (provided the weather is good) where you can have an after party around a pool.  I had a friend who did something in a swanky piano bar/wine lounge. I also like the idea of doing something at a public park, a family reunion style gathering. I like the bowling idea as well.  Is there a really nice bowling alley, maybe where they have cosmic bowling...?

K

Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Great ideas, thanks ladies! I never even thought of a bonfire...but it's one of my FH's favorite things to do! We're shooting to buy our house a few months before the wedding, so it might be a great opportunity to invite people back afterwards to see the new house!

Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Oops. Double post.

Message was edited by Emerald928 on Mar 6, 2007 4:50 PM

sstamper Posts : 621 Registered: 9/15/06
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

Due to cost my FH and I are also doing an early reception a 2-5 lite lunch. Afterward our closest friends and family are going out to do our own thing. I think the bowling thing is super cool and if you think your guest will have fun then go for it!!
Suzanne

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine