Walking Down the Aisle

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
Walking Down the Aisle
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 8:54 AM

Although we are not OFFICIALLY engaged, my bf and I have been in the very beginning stages of wedding planning (well he is in the beginning stages...lol if you know what I mean). 

I would love to have a very traditional ceremony, but my bf doesn't think that we can have a traditional ceremony if my father doesn't walk me down the aisle. 

My parents divorced when I was two and I haven't really had a relationship with my father. I have been on my own for a while and I don't think I need to have someone "give me away."

I want to walk down the aisle either alone or with my 9 1/2 year old son. I have another father figure I can ask, but that might be opening another can of worms, because it is my son's papaw (my son's father's dad).

Can y'all help me think of ways to convince my bf that walking down alone isn't a bad idea? 

JenlovesDon Posts : 414 Registered: 6/20/06
Re: Walking Down the Aisle
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it's fine if you want to walk down by yourself. I was actually going to do this, until my grandfather finally agreed to do it.

Although, I think walking down with your son would be so sweet and sentimental.

Posted: Feb 24, 2007 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: JenlovesDon

As I planned my wedding as a girl, my grampa was my only choice to walk me down the aisle.  But he passed away in 2002.  I also have two brothers, but my relationship with them is far from ideal...    

hairdogri Posts : 18 Registered: 2/4/07
Posted: Feb 24, 2007 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If your father isn't really in your life, and isn't making an effort to be, then I wouldn't ask him to walk you down the aisle.  You are going to be nervous enough and don't need the added stress of a potentially awkward situation.

I think having your son walk you down the aisle is a great way to include him in the ceremony, and sounds like it would be the less stressful.  Just tell your FH you want a mostly traditional wedding.  Wink

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It is perfectly acceptable for the bride to walk down the aisle by herself or with her mother.  If you don't have a relationship with your dad then why should you give him that offer?  Will you be inviting your dad to the wedding even if he doesn't walk you down the aisle?  It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering. 

Tell your soon-to-be FH that anything goes nowadays as long as you are considerate and respectful of everyone involved.

SoInLove987 Posts : 415 Registered: 1/31/07
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Whatever you do, I wouldnt walk down the aisle with my ex's dad. Talk about awkward especially for your bf. Your son sounds like a great idea! He is probably the most important "man" in your life besides your bf.

I dont know how to work the Ticker thing so.....Wedding Date September 8, 2007!!! Cant wait to marry the man of my dreams!!! <3

Posted: Feb 26, 2007 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

I am not sure if he will be invited.  My FH will be meeting him for the first time on Friday (we have been together two years).  Inviting him is something that has been, and will continue to have a lot of soul searching.

Posted: Feb 27, 2007 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't see anything wrong with walking down the aisle by yourself.  I would like to do that myself.  I have never gotten along with my dad and we never see or talk to each other but he was really excited about giving me away...he loves my fiance.  If you are close to your mom you could have her do it.  My mom did that in a very traditional catholic wedding 25 years ago...and it was the priests idea. 

Rebecca and James...June 16 2007

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine