Did you know you were getting engaged?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 109
Re: Did you know you were getting engaged?
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 1:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH and I had talked about getting married before but then hit a bump in our relationship and kinda took a break. We ended up going back to meet his parents for the first time and he said thats when he knew I was the one. We came home and he took me ring shopping and let me pick out the most amazing ring I have ever seen in my entire life... twice the size we had discussed I would be getting... so yeah I did know but It was still an incrdible day... couldnt have been better.

hairdogri Posts : 18 Registered: 2/4/07
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 12:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH told me from the beginning that he never planned on getting married.  We have been together for 7 years now, and not once did he say or do anything that made me think that he was thinking about proposing.  So, no, I had no idea it was coming.  He proposed while we were on a cruise.  We were walking around the ship-I think he was looking for the right spot-and we were all dressed up because it was formal night for dinner.  I was thinking this would be the perfect setting for a proposal, then reminded myself it was never going to happen so don't get my hopes up.  About 20 minutes later he proposed.  He said that he had been thinking about doing it when we hit 10 years (12/31/09), but it felt right to do it now.  Now we are thinking about 12/31/09 for our wedding date.

RANLEVA Posts : 13 Registered: 10/23/06
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well I know already and we are not engaged yet. It slipped that he was going topropose this year on my b-day. There is no ring yet he says he wants that to be the ultimate suprise along with how he is going to do it. In one way I'm releived because we have been dating for 4 years and everyone around us always asks. We started planning and booked the hall because we decided it will give us enough time to plan the wedding we truly want. We will be wed on July 26, 2008
Each day goes by and all I want is to be closer to you!

Posted: Feb 13, 2007 7:43 PM Go to message in response to: RANLEVA

FH and I had been talking about marriage almost from the time we met, about 3 months in.  We got engaged almost 2.5 years later.  I knew he was going to propose because I picked out my ring!  He knew I wanted to get engaged when my best friend was visiting from VA so I could show her the ring and ask her to be my MOH.  Even though I knew it was coming, he still surprised me!

Soon I will marry the love of my life!
Daisypath Ticker

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I didn't KNOW for sure he was going to propose, but I sort of suspected, and wouldn't let myself get my hopes up.  We'd been together for 4 1/2 years, and I was VERY ready to get engaged.  I also had told him that I didn't really care about him having an engagement ring when he proposed, but that I wanted a special proposal, despite the fact that we have known we wanted to marry each other for years.

He kept telling people I couldn't wait to open my Christmas gifts, especially ''the big one''.  I'm really not like that, so I kept saying I really didn't care what I was getting.  Plus, him phrasing what was actually my engagement ring as ''the big one'' threw me off, since I was taking that to mean the size, lol.

He kept kind of dropping hints, then misleading me.  I knew he'd asked my aunt to help him pick out one of my gifts, but I didn't know what, and after he bought it, he put it in a really big box, which totally fooled me, so I was sad then.

Then he'd talk about my gifts some more, about how I was going to freak when I opened my gifts, and I replied that there was only one thing I really wanted, and I wasn't sure if I was going to get it.  He kind of smiled and said he didn't think I'd be disappointed.  That made me hope a little more, but I've had a lot of disappointment in my life (not from him), and have learned not to get my hopes up about things.  I suppose this in a way helped me to be more surprised.

So, Christmas morning, we got up (we live together) early (which is very strange for me, I'm not a morning person at all but couldn't sleep anymore, partly because I was catching a cold), FH made some coffee, and we sat on the couch and started opening our gifts to each other.  Then I came to the big silver box, which I opened after everything else.  My heart was pounding as I started opening it, as I was hoping but at the same time afraid to hope.

I looked like crap, by the way- I was getting sick, I hadn't showered, and was sitting there in my robe with a Santa Claus hat on my head, lol.

I opened the big box, and there was a little box inside.  I took it out and opened it.  It contained an absolutely beautiful diamond ring.  Me being paranoid the way I am, I was afraid to assume it was meant to be an engagement ring, so I looked down at it and said, ''Honey, it's beautiful.''  As I said this, he knelt beside me and asked me to marry him.  I burst into tears (this was unexpected, I didn't think I'd be a crier, lol) and said ''Yes!'' And we kissed.  It was perfect.

The rings were exactly what I would have picked, too, which was awesome.  He bought my engagement ring and our wedding rings, remembering that I'd said I always thought it would be neat to have matching wedding rings.

The only thing that annoys me, though, is that he originally planned to propose to me at a fancy restaurant a few days before Christmas, but my aunt told him that I'd rather have it as a Christmas present.  I would have LOVED to have been proposed to at a restaurant, and I know my aunt only said that because she was proposed to at a restaurant, and was embarrassed that there were a lot of people around when her DH knelt and proposed.  That's her, not me!  But I still loved the way I got engaged. Smile

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10711;23/st/20070908/e/we+marry%21/dt/-3/k/eeb2/event.png[/img]" alt="" />

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, as we speak I have chosen the ring(it's huge and gorgeous!) Most of my initial anxiety has worn off...but now I am just nervous because I have no idea when he will propose. So here we go!!! I personally thought it would take the excitement out of it ...but nope it doesn'tLaughing I am just glad that I am aware that I will be receiving something I will love and be proud to wear! So..I will keep you posted on the proposal (due to happen within the next month or so) man I can feel the excitement brewing already!!!! I am totally in Love and can not wait for him to say those magic words!!!!

Wish Me Luck!!!

-Skaterbride 

SoInLove987 Posts : 415 Registered: 1/31/07
Posted: Feb 24, 2007 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I knew we were going to get married. I had a promise ring (so high school, lol). Then, he was dropping me of at the airport to go visit a friend and right before I was about to go through security, he says to me "Let me see your promise ring?" So, I took it off and handed it to him. He looked at it and said, "This is too small, you need something bigger. Something like this." He got down on one knee and pulled out the engagement ring and asked me to be his wife. Right in the middle of a crowded airport! It wasnt a huge surprise becuase he (and my family) had been acting strange all day so I knew something was up. But it surprised me how he did it. Everyone was staring at us, a couple people clapped. I am so shy so it was kind of embarassing but I didnt mind. All I did the whole flight up there was sit and stare at my ring. It just sucked not seeing him for 4 days right after we got engaged.

I dont know how to work the Ticker thing so.....Wedding Date September 8, 2007!!! Cant wait to marry the man of my dreams!!! <3

Posted: Feb 27, 2007 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: SoInLove987

I had absolutely no idea.

My fiance and I actually argued the last time we'd discussed weddings and that was on a vacation to Ohio in summer 2006. While there visiting his best friend I thought it was weird that they all wanted me to watch the wedding video from his friends wedding and that his friends wife kept talking about how she "loves weddings" and "Planned her own wedding" like she was seriously dropping hints. So I got REAL nervous because I thought he was gonna do it then and proceeded to tell him how much I wasn't ready and didn't want to go through it again and didn't want a big wedding like theirs and yada yada. He got very, very offended and we fought and NEVER talked about it again.

And then he just asked me December 9, 2006 and I was so nervous and speechless and it was...weird. But in a good way.

But I had no idea at all.

Posted: Feb 27, 2007 9:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was beyond shocked and suprised, he so got me good. He even had his best friend in on it and they fed me lies all day. I was so shocked and suprised i shreaked no no no when i opened my eyes to him on one knee at a large restauant. Later I come to find out there were people plastered up against the windown inside the resturaunt we were at. And when I could focus enough to say yes there was applause. I thought it was just going to be dinner, and after dinner a simple penny toss into the fountain. Oh, no it was much more and his best friend caught it all on tape.

FlyGal Posts : 5 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My engagement story is a strange and complicated one.  My FH actually first proposed six months after we started dating.  I put the nix on it because I thought it was too soon, and he was doing it for the wrong reasons.  Then we talked about the future a lot for the next three years, and pretty much remained under the assumption that we would get married.  He had bought me a promise ring for my birthday last year (I didn't know this until recently), but we ended up going on a cruise instead, so returned it, since he couldn't afford both.  Then at the end of last year, I went on a cruise with my parents, and bought three diamonds to have set in a wedding band for him (we also discussed buying one for an engagement ring for me).  When I came home Christmas night, he proposed with a ring he'd bought while I was away, but with the stipulation that he wanted to return it for a better one the following month (they were having a big sale).  We actually changed rings two more times before settling on the one I have now, and we didn't officially announce it until we had an occassion.  My "engagement present" from him created the perfect opportunity.  He took me swimming with the dolphins, and that's when we tell everyone he proposed.  So no, I didn't have too much of a surprise.  I even had an idea of what was going on when I was on my cruise.  But it's thrilling nonetheless!

Posted: Feb 28, 2007 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: FlyGal

I am not engaged yet, but I know it is coming.  I was with my BF when he bought the ring.  That was on Saturday.  On Mondays, he usually spends some time with his best friend.  He went to his friend's early, which is when I completely believe he went to pick the ring up.  I thought that he would propose yesterday because it was our 18 month annivers...but I am still waiting.

As my friend told me this morning, a watched pot never boils!     

Posted: May 14, 2007 5:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I knew it was coming, but its a matter of when and where he's gonna surprise me :D

Though i kinda knew he bought the ring even without telling me, it was a real memorable moment when he popped the question! :D

Mrs Maclaine-Cross tobe in 8 months!

Posted: May 14, 2007 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We talked about getting married all the time but he swore up and down that he planned to propose sometime THIS YEAR. Well he proposed to me last year for my birthday. I was blown away and so happy. I was also even more suprised at our wedding date. We always said we would have a two year engagement because we have big families. Well as soon as we got engaged he wanted to set the date and as you see below we're getting married in less than 6 months AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2007 I will be the happiest lil bride in NJ!

He completes me.

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: May 14, 2007 8:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH and I were "love at first sight." After the first date we knew we were getting married. So it was pretty much like ok let's get married so we went to pick out the ring and he proposed. Nothing too romantic...
The Big Day: 9/20/08

Posted: May 15, 2007 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Yes ...

back in feb. My lovely guy told me that he asked his boss if he could have the first week of July off so he could go the states and ask my father for his blessing. (they have never met).

I was taken back and didn't really know what to say. First i'm like I hope I get a better proposal than that?? Then I'm like I have to keep this a secret for 6 months. Well, everyone but my parents now knows. I think on some level they know it's coming, but as nice enough not to ruin the 'surprise' for FH. They have a good sense of humor so they will find it funny that i've known for 6 months

I will not get the ring until July :-( (i helped design it so I will know what it looks like)

But that's okay... It's been fun trying to figure out when he will give it to me.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine