how do people pay for weddings?!@?!

Online Users: 1,288 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 35

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: how do people pay for weddings?!@?!
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW!  You are a lot more resourceful than I was...lol!  I give you props for your great use of cash!!!

Posted: Feb 5, 2007 3:25 AM Go to message in response to: LizS

Thank You!  It's been really tough though...my colors were nearly impossible to find anything for cheap and the flowers.  But I never changed my mind on either.  And the wedding is on one of the most impossible dates to get anything booked on...June 16 ( know of 4 other wedding the same weekend in the tiny town that I live in)

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW!  There are a lot of weddings your same weekend in your town.  June is a popular month to get married in.  Good luck on the rest of your planning!

Posted: Feb 8, 2007 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Smilethe best idea i ever heard was this: if you can, get a credit card that has a rewards program. then, use those rewards points towards honeymoon expenses~~airfare, hotel, rental car, etc. only charge what you are planning to spend anyway. DO NOT GO INTO DEBT FOR A ONE DAY PARTY!!!!  you could have a 20 person guest list and throw a party in your basement. none of that really matters. the only thing that does is marrying the love of your life. don't let it get out of perspective. good luck!!!

hairdogri Posts : 18 Registered: 2/4/07
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH actually saw something in the Oregonian today that said the average wedding costs $27,000!  I bought my 2005 Lancer for less than that-and it was new!  We are paying for the wedding ourselves and we are not going to go into debt to do it.  We are older (I'm 33, he's 40), and the wedding is not going to be for a couple of years, so we will be able to save some.  I like the idea of running off to Vegas and then having a reception when we get back.

We got engaged on a cruise that sailed from Miami.  We live in Washington and stayed with my aunt the night we got back.  She was so excited for us, she ran out and bought me a bridal magazine.  I don't put much stock in it-I just like to look at the pictures.  I was surprised to see the dress I liked was much more affordable than I thought it would be.  I told FH I would consider Vegas if I could still have the pretty dress and if Elvis wasn't invited.  lol

cll Posts : 270 Registered: 2/10/07
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I so understand!!! I live in CT and the average cost of a wedding here is over 30 thousand dollars. I still have college loans to pay off, let alone the fact that I want to buy a house in the near future. Believe me-weddings are ridiculous. THis will be my first wedding and my last for these prices!!!

Posted: Feb 15, 2007 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i have no idea, and frankly, i'm a little scared for my fiance and I.

hopefully people will be nice and give us lots of advice,

and money would be really nice. I think right now we're shooting for $12k. which isn't so bad, we are going to have to take out loans though, b/c he only makes $12k a year and I'll be going to my first year at college this august.

-kim.

Message was edited by kimlamour on Feb 15, 2007 11:14 PM

Posted: Feb 16, 2007 4:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My fiance's aunt had 850+ people at her reception.  It was at the Vallejo exhibition hall and the food was catered by a relative for about $2.50 a plate (buffet). The total cost of their wedding was around $10,000 including the honeymoon.     My wedding is in Aug this year and we are expecting 450 guests and we planned a $60,000 buget for everything.  That was to be split btwn his parents, him and I, and my parents ($20k each).... Then we decided to have it in Santa Barbara, Ca since his family is from the Bay Area and mine is from LA / OC.     And that $60k became the buget for the reception only. Now we are finding ourselves paying even more due to the location. We have sponsors that help out with some of the wedding costs (one is paying for the cake) and the others just give larger than normal amounts of money, usually around $300-$500. Once all is said and done, The total money inputed into our wedding from the two families would be just a little over $100k.  http://My mom is flying some close relatives out from the phillipines, london, and NY though... so that will be a $10k extra expense out of my parents pockets...................oh, and our honeymoon... looks like we'll be taking it in Dec.

Posted: Feb 16, 2007 4:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Because we are having a large wedding for the Santa Barbara area, we are kind of limited to the reception locations, so we are having it at a hotel.... To give you an idea of how costs add up.  Here is our expenses so far along with what we will end up paying: Food with tax and grat. : $41,500      Ballroom rental:$3,000                           Cake:$2,800    Photographer:  $3,500         Videographer:  $2,300          Linens and chairs: $5,000  Limos: $1,400         Dress: $4,500          Flowers: $6,000        Lighting & Decorations: $4,000        Ceremony: $500        Flying Family out: $10,000      Wedding coordinator: $4,000       I'm designing the invitation package  and my mother-in-law to be is making our favors.   My uncle has a band, and my cousin will also DJ for free..... so we are saving in those areas....Honeymoon: $8,000 All in all, my fiance and I will end up spending $32,000     his parents $25,000   and mine $40,000               We both don't mind blowing the money on the wedding since we only plan on doing it once... well he minds a little more than me since he is better at saving and budgeting. we started saving right after we finished college in '05. We then bought a home in mid '06 and it is hard and I mean it is hard to save in the Bay Area and own a home, on to of paying back student loans... but we pinched pennies, limited our travels, partying, and splurges;  and are somehow making it work.....and our parents keep telling us "that could have been down-payment on your home...."  but we keep telling them, we're only 23 ... we have 30 yrs to pay off our home ..... and "you only get married once" 

Message was edited by ArleneJoy on Feb 16, 2007 5:17 AM

Posted: Mar 31, 2008 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Try going thru the Catalina Island Conservancy and get married at one of their venue sites, very reasonable!

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The most beautiful wedding I've ever been to cost the bride's parents $115,000.  It was breathtaking, with the flowers and the colors.  Great food, great alcohol, lots of people (about 400-450) live music and a fun DJ. . .I had a great time.

But the best wedding I've ever been to was under 15K.  It was a wedding of one of my good friends.  She created the ceremony herself, using a lot of poetry and some customs that she borrowed from other cultures (she's a writer).  The wedding was small-ish, around 100 people.  It was beer and wine.  The food was good, but it was served buffet style.  The DJ was good and I stayed until the very end.

The reason I loved the second one more was that everything had a lot of meaning.  The truth is, money aside, that's what makes a wedding memorable.  The people, the meaning.  I personally believe that money obscures the meaning in weddings.  What's bettter: "It was a great wedding!  The flowers were beautiful!" or "It was a great wedding!  The bride and groom incredibly in love and you could feel it!" 

Money doesn't make the wedding.  That's what the bridal industry wants you to believe.  Don't fall for it.  The people make the wedding -- we remember them more than we remember wedding colors or wedding "themes." 

Good luck.  Stay strong.  Don't believe the hype!

Vote!  http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

DutchBride Posts : 118 Registered: 3/11/08
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I don't really understand how people just have $50k to spend on a wedding.  Where'd you get all the money from?  We aren't trying to be in debt forever!  That's not my idea of a great day because we will be paying for it for like 10 years.  Ahhh!

* Marijke *

I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & that the Eskimos has a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me when you sleep & there are no words for that -Brian Andreas

DawnaCrystal Posts : 990 Registered: 4/7/08
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 8:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i hear you!n I am doing a 100 person outdoor vow renewal on a budget of 2500. I am under budget (WOOHOO) and am having no problem staying that way. Just stay away from the words 'bridal' and 'wedding' and you will be fine. Plus, SHOP AROUND!! You would be surprised how you can save 600 dollars just by calling 5 different tent rental companies. I did. And the hour on the phone was well worth the money saved.

I bought my printable invites on ebay, my dress on ebay (yes, it is new), got my flowers on sale online (silk), got the flower girl dresses online, I am paying for half my bridesmaids dresses, all of my MOH dress. My stepfather is officiating, our uncle is catering so that is only cost (300), and all the linens and dishes online. I saved tons by shopping around on line rather than being talked into super high prices by some saleswoman that takes advantage of suckers like me.

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: DawnaCrystal

We're not having problems...let me rephrase, as of now, we're not having problems staying within budget. We set our budget at $6,500. We're going to be saving more to cover "surprises" or to cover things that we want i.e. our rings. We spent nearly 3 times over the "suggested" amount, because we wanted more than solid gold bands.

Keep in mind, I'm not upset about how big or little our budget is compared to what we want. I am frustrated that I'm cheap to begin with, and with what we're spending in one day we could spend as a down payment for a starter home.

Weddings do cost a lot no matter if you can afford everything in the magazine or not.

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

URL=""IMGhttp://www.whenismywedding.com/signature/8d168531c3fa9d71.gif[/IMG][/URL] Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: kroberts

again our budget is 5K and we have done well with it (again I live in the south so things are a lot less expensive here).

I REFUSE to let these magazines with these insane budgets get me down. Wanna know why? I (nor our parents) don't have 20K (or more) just sitting around, so no sense in bitching about that. I ALSO know that when the wedding day/ honeymoon is over, we will NOT have to live off ramen noodles and hotdogs until some gigantic debt is paid.... because balances will be paid in cash by the time the wedding day is over.

So no the magazines don't get me down. I appreciate them for the ideas and I also appreciate them for keeping me grounded. Sure, I'd love more money, but I guarantee you if I had it, it wouldn't be spent on a wedding. There are bigger and better things the money could go to... like owning a home and having a good nest egg.

A fabulous wedding is nice, but remember you STILL have to live when it's over.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

R&R: June 21, 2008

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine