theme wedding / reception

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 12

ruleymonkey Posts : 2 Registered: 2/2/07
theme wedding / reception
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 2:57 PM

We're planning a mafia / mob / gangster  themed wedding and  reception since we're both huge Sopranos fans.  I would like the keep it more traditional mafia, think prohibition era mobsters, but I'm coming up short on ideas. Our wedding is almost 2 years off so I have some time to think still but I figured I would see if any of you ladies had some ideas to throw out there. Thanks!

Re: theme wedding / reception
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: ruleymonkey

when i think of a Sopranos reception, I think lots of wine and lots of food- maybe a cocktail hour with Frank and Dean playing in the background.  I also think it would be fun if a full Italian dinner was served family style and  your cake was made out of cannolis. I'm sure you'll get ideas once the season starts back up again!

Posted: Feb 8, 2007 12:38 AM Go to message in response to: ruleymonkey

When I think mobster, I always think of pinstriped suits with those mob hats...but that could look a little pimpish if not pulled off right...And machine guns aren't very weddingy either! :P

Cigar rolling would work out well with that theme, though!

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You can rent zoot tuxes.  They are like zoot suits, but fancier.  Pretty hot in my oppinion.  Also, you've gotta rent a car.  Maybe one of those new chryslers with the huge grill would work. 

Posted: Feb 8, 2007 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: ruleymonkey

As a first generation Italian-American I find this completely appalling.  What does the mafia have anything to do with a day of celebration???  Why not go for an Italian themed wedding vs. mafia???  You should read up on the history of the mafia before you decide to make this a theme for your wedding.  Maybe call it a 20's and 30's Italian wedding and try to leave out the "mafia" thing.  It just leaves the wrong impression.

If you need any help with planning an Italian wedding, let me know I would be more than willing to help you out. 

"La buona moglie fa il buon marito" -May 26, 2007- Io sposato l'amore della mia vita!

Posted: Feb 8, 2007 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: ruleymonkey

The mafia/mob/ganster era was definitely a part our american culture. I don't see anything wrong with using this as your theme as long as you don't go over board (no horse heads in the bridal suite Smile) I think most of your guests will get a kick out of it. I agree with the previous poster regarding the cigar rolling.....It sounds like a lot of fun!!!

I can't wait to be Mrs M.

Message was edited by ourday08 on Feb 8, 2007 5:08 PM

ruleymonkey Posts : 2 Registered: 2/2/07
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Cigar rolling is a great idea! Most of the guys are smokers so I think they would get a kick out of that.  I love the zoot suit idea too. I think they will look sharp on the guys in our wedding party. I am thinking of a black and white color pallette with deep red accents?

VincesHuney Posts : 5 Registered: 11/25/08
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: ruleymonkey

ruleymonkey wrote:We're planning a mafia / mob / gangster themed wedding and reception since we're both huge Sopranos fans. I would like the keep it more traditional mafia, think prohibition era mobsters, but I'm coming up short on ideas. Our wedding is almost 2 years off so I have some time to think still but I figured I would see if any of you ladies had some ideas to throw out there. Thanks!

Get the cake topper where the bride is draggin the groom away, and have a local artist create fake cement shoes on the groom!!!

ItalianBride2 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/26/09
Posted: Jul 26, 2009 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I could use some ideas for an italian themed Wedding - Would you mind sharing???
Thanks So Much!
Carlen in Kenosha WI

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: ItalianBride2

OP, I'm not trying to be a naysayer or rude, but I do sort of agree with the PP who said that a mafia wedding is sort of offensive. Someone else mentioned that mafia is part of American culture and history. Would you say the same thing if a German couple decided to have a Nazi-themed wedding?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, or argumentative, but I'm definitely more in favor of the Italian-themed wedding. If you wanted to throw in little hints of mobster-type things, it could be cute, but if it's overdone, I could see it quickly turning from cute to borderline offensive.

You know your guests better than I do, but if I were a guest a such a wedding I would think it in bad taste.

With that said, here are my ideas:

1. I saw on Amazing Wedding Cakes a few weeks ago where they made a humidor grooms cake with fondant cigars. It was REALLY cute. Google it; you'll find loads of links to different ones!

2. If you wanted to go more stereotypical mobster-y, Swing Dance music (Zoot Suit Riot comes to mind) would be cute. If you wanted to go more classic Italian, some good tenor opera music as either a prelude or as music during dinner would be nice.

3. Clearly you must include Italian Wedding soup, and Italian Wedding Cookies, in your food! :D

4. Here is a link to Italian wedding favors: http://www.myitalianweddingfavors.com/home.html

Best of luck!
My Planning Blog

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Umm,put a hit out on one of the groomsmen at the reception? lol.
Yeah. This thread is almost THREE YEARS OLD people !!!!
This ship has sailed lol.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

OMG Kelley, I usually look at the dates too and totally didn't this time!

Yeah, ship has sailed. Disregard my whole post. :)
My Planning Blog

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Actually, italianbride renewed it by asking a similar question. italianbride, while I normally condone doing a little thread research before you post a new question, in this case a new thread might get better responses.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine